Jamison responds to unexplainable decision

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Listening to 93.7 the Fan this afternoon and I believe it was Joe Starkey who took a different view of this incident.

He feels that Tallion is a very cerebral type pitcher not unlike Charlie Morton. Thinks things through pretty well. With that in mind Starkey puts the onus on Tallion to be the "Ace" he if felt to be and not get his undies up his crack when he sees a guy up in the pen like on Saturday. As an "Ace" all Tallion needs to do is pitch that way, get himself out of the jam (he was low on pitches) and show Hurdle that he is indeed capable of getting through the opponent's batting order the 3rd time. Makes a lot of sense to me.

As fans we don't always know just what goes on in the clubhouse, and Starkey is not a "Know it All" but he has more reliable sources that you and I do. On the surface it looks like Hurdle showed little faith in the "Ace" and made him look bad. Who knows, Tallion might have gotten out of the inning or he could have let the situation get to his mind and he would have let the game get out of hand.

Considering Tallion's recent inconsistent performance maybe Hurdle was right in what he did but it is up to Tallion and use his noodle to understand he has to perform like the "Ace" and force Hurdle to change his tactics the 3rd time through the batting order.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E49585C59447B4F585959443D0 wrote: I’m tired of Hurdle and Neal and I honestly want both  of them gone. Just too much stuff happening with certain players where Hurdle just continues to cause tension in the clubhouse with the team. Also, you just not enough progress with some of your better players on the team like Polanco and Bell. I know Nutting is the main problem and the constant in all of this but I’ve really had enough of Clint and Neal these last two weeks and I would start a parade if both got let go tomorrow.
Yes, Nutting is the main problem and NH's hands are tied because of that. That doesn't absolve NH of bad personnel decisions but he is limited by Nutting's refusal to spend. That said, however, a team that won't obtain top talent needs a manager who gets everything he can out of his team. Hurdle does the opposite. He won't win any championships with this team but Hurdle could get more wins out of them if he was smarter about it. Or if he even cared.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

1C382C24214D0 wrote: A normal MLB franchise would have jettisoned Hurdle by now given the team's performance, and the confusion and anger leaking from players into the media. Unfortunately NH is probably okay with all of it as he sets the example by his own evasive and obfuscating behavior.

This is a very good point.

I've pretty much forgotten how a normal franchise would conduct their business, so that point hadn't really sunken in on me. Although at some point I know Hurdle will become the sacrificial lamb, I assumed it would be in year 3 or 4 of his extension. So, the fact that he actually should be fired, wasn't even on my radar.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

15343C153E36510 wrote: Listening to 93.7 the Fan this afternoon and I believe it was Joe Starkey who took a different view of this incident.

He feels that Tallion is a very cerebral type pitcher not unlike Charlie Morton.  Thinks things through pretty well.  With that in mind Starkey puts the onus on Tallion to be the "Ace" he if felt to be and not get his undies up his crack when he sees a guy up in the pen like on Saturday.  As an "Ace" all Tallion needs to do is pitch that way, get himself out of the jam (he was low on pitches) and show Hurdle that he is indeed capable of getting through the opponent's batting order the 3rd time.  Makes a lot of sense to me.

As fans we don't always know just what goes on in the clubhouse, and Starkey is not a "Know it All" but he has more reliable sources that you and I do.  On the surface it looks like Hurdle showed little faith in the "Ace" and made him look bad.  Who knows, Tallion might have gotten out of the inning or he could have let the situation get to his mind and he would have let the game get out of hand.

Considering Tallion's recent inconsistent performance maybe Hurdle was right in what he did but it is up to Tallion and use his noodle to understand he has to perform like the "Ace" and force Hurdle to change his tactics the 3rd time through the batting order.
I confused, it's pretty hard to work your way out of a jam when your not in the game. These are excuses for Hurdle and believe me there is no excuse for a guy with three more years on his contract who really doesn't give a rip.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

382022252532232439382E4B0 wrote: Listening to 93.7 the Fan this afternoon and I believe it was Joe Starkey who took a different view of this incident.

He feels that Tallion is a very cerebral type pitcher not unlike Charlie Morton.  Thinks things through pretty well.  With that in mind Starkey puts the onus on Tallion to be the "Ace" he if felt to be and not get his undies up his crack when he sees a guy up in the pen like on Saturday.  As an "Ace" all Tallion needs to do is pitch that way, get himself out of the jam (he was low on pitches) and show Hurdle that he is indeed capable of getting through the opponent's batting order the 3rd time.  Makes a lot of sense to me.

As fans we don't always know just what goes on in the clubhouse, and Starkey is not a "Know it All" but he has more reliable sources that you and I do.  On the surface it looks like Hurdle showed little faith in the "Ace" and made him look bad.  Who knows, Tallion might have gotten out of the inning or he could have let the situation get to his mind and he would have let the game get out of hand.

I confused, it's pretty hard to work your way out of a jam when your not in the game.  These are excuses for Hurdle and believe me there is no excuse for a guy with three more years on his contract who really doesn't give a rip.
I find it difficult to defend Hurdle's decision in the face of the inconsistency of his actions. On that day, he felt he couldn't chance leaving Taillon in to face one more batter and was willing to put the game in the hands of his troubled bullpen rather than the guy who had been effective up to that point. So ok, we can say Taillon had given up a single, triple and single this inning, 3rd time thru the lineup, gotta get him out of there because we're trying to win this game.

But this is the same manager who saw his team lose many games because he insisted on playing Polanco and usually bat him 2nd thru a 9 week stretch when he batted about .180 while also keeping Bell at #4 for about 60 games while his slash line was worse than Mercer's, who Hurdle would rarely bat higher than 8th. The same manager who kept sending a failing and flailing S-Rod out there to strike out and commit errors. These certainly weren't the actions of a manager doing whatever it takes to win games. Hurdle has managed this team as if winning is secondary to player development. That if you keep on sending failing players out there in important roles, eventually they might straighten themselves out regardless of the cost in losses. So ok, this season's not about winning, it's about sticking with players thru thick and thin and giving them a chance to improve for future seasons. But then Taillon is removed as if it's the 7th game of the World Series. So if it was so important in Hurdle's mind to remove Taillon in an attempt to win that game, then nothing else Hurdle has done this season makes sense.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Listening to 93.7 the Fan this afternoon and I believe it was Joe Starkey who took a different view of this incident.

I confused, it's pretty hard to work your way out of a jam when your not in the game.  These are excuses for Hurdle and believe me there is no excuse for a guy with three more years on his contract who really doesn't give a rip.
I find it difficult to defend Hurdle's decision in the face of the inconsistency of his actions. On that day, he felt he couldn't chance leaving Taillon in to face one more batter and was willing to put the game in the hands of his troubled bullpen rather than the guy who had been effective up to that point. So ok, we can say Taillon had given up a single, triple and single this inning, 3rd time thru the lineup, gotta get him out of there because we're trying to win this game.

But this is the same manager who saw his team lose many games because he insisted on playing Polanco and usually bat him 2nd thru a 9 week stretch when he batted about .180 while also keeping Bell at #4 for about 60 games while his slash line was worse than Mercer's, who Hurdle would rarely bat higher than 8th. The same manager who kept sending a failing and flailing S-Rod out there to strike out and commit errors. These certainly weren't the actions of a manager doing whatever it takes to win games. Hurdle has managed this team as if winning is secondary to player development. That if you keep on sending failing players out there in important roles, eventually they might straighten themselves out regardless of the cost in losses. So ok, this season's not about winning, it's about sticking with players thru thick and thin and giving them a chance to improve for future seasons. But then Taillon is removed as if it's the 7th game of the World Series. So if it was so important in Hurdle's mind to remove Taillon in an attempt to win that game, then nothing else Hurdle has done this season makes sense.

I reply I guess because I did not communicate very well why I take Starkey's comments with more than a grain of salt.

Agree skinny that he could not work out of the jam if he was not in the game. But why was he not in the game? Because he has been terribly inconsistent the third time through the lineup.

As for Hurdle, I think right now he is managing in a "not to lose" fashion. That is not how you win or how you get a younger guy to develop confidence. He should have let Jamo in the game to win or lose on his own. But Jamo also needs to understand that he has to become more mature of a pitcher in a hurry by being more efficient with his pitches and using fewer early in the game.

Now for Hurdle. As stated previously I feel he is in the "not to lose" mode of managing. It is clouding his brain and is the exact opposite of what he says. But pulling Jamo the other day sure seems to confirm the "not to lose" mentality. That is just what leads to "goofy" decisions like pulling Jamo so soon and eventually to discontent in the clubhouse.

Please do not feel that I am being an apologist for Hurdle or any of the TBMTIBB. My idea to fix what is wrong with TBMTIBB is best saved for another thread.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

For me, it comes down to this - now that we're out of the race Hurdle starts to "manage to win the game"?? That's what he and Neal said. What about the previous 70 or so games where he clearly was not managing to win "the game"?

Suddenly, on this afternoon, when your ace is in the midst of maybe a breakout game, Hurdle decides to treat Tallion differently then he's treated anyone else? From the beginning of the inning (bullpen warming up before the 1st pitch of the inning)? With this gas-can bullpen?

If the plan was to create a very short leash on the 3rd time through the lineup, it would seem this would be communicated to the guy you're trying to get back to "ace" form. Instead, it's one more guy losing faith in this organization concerning their career. No, it's probably the entire system losing a bit more faith in the organization. This is what really bugs me: this organization clearly does not care what message they send, even to someone like Jamison Tallion who has worked as hard as any player that's ever worn a Pirate uni.

Then to top it all off, the next day - Nova gives up a steady stream of HRs. Hurdle finally pulls him after the 5th.

Robbi the Ace Reporter: "Clint, how does this process impact you as a person?"

Hurdle the Bored Manager: "What?!"

RAR: "In front of all these fans?"

HBM: "What fans, if we had fans like in KC we'd be WS champs."

RAR: "So you can feel the energy?"

HBM: "I'm proud of my team. Getting beat by 17 or 7 or .7, its all the same. But we fought till the end. We're men!"

A Real Reporter: "Clint, did you think about removing Nova after the 4th HR?"

HBM: "Not a chance. We knew he was only 1 HR away from the record and we're going to give him every chance to get it. I couldn't be more proud of him or my team."

ARR: "But do you think that 5th HR affected the team's ability to win the game?"

HBM: "You act like this was the 7th game of a WS. It's not (especially since our fans don't support us like KC). This is just 1 of 162 or however many we actually play. Sometimes you have to think long-term. You manage the entire team for the entire season, not that I would expect any of you to understand."

Robbie: "Clint, if you could be a tree, what kind of tree would have the most impact for these fans?....Clint? Clint....."
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2720363E3027606C153238343C397B363A38550 wrote: For me, it comes down to this - now that we're out of the race Hurdle starts to "manage to win the game"??  That's what he and Neal said.  What about the previous 70 or so games where he clearly was not managing to win "the game"?

Suddenly, on this afternoon, when your ace is in the midst of maybe a breakout game, Hurdle decides to treat Tallion differently then he's treated anyone else?  From the beginning of the inning (bullpen warming up before the 1st pitch of the inning)?  With this gas-can bullpen?

If the plan was to create a very short leash on the 3rd time through the lineup, it would seem this would be communicated to the guy you're trying to get back to "ace" form.  Instead, it's one more guy losing faith in this organization concerning their career.  No, it's probably the entire system losing a bit more faith in the organization.  This is what really bugs me: this organization clearly does not care what message they send, even to someone like Jamison Tallion who has worked as hard as any player that's ever worn a Pirate uni.

Then to top it all off, the next day - Nova gives up a steady stream of HRs.  Hurdle finally pulls him after the 5th. 

Robbi the Ace Reporter: "Clint, how does this process impact you as a person?"

Hurdle the Bored Manager: "What?!"

RAR: "In front of all these fans?"

HBM: "What fans, if we had fans like in KC we'd be WS champs."

RAR: "So you can feel the energy?"

HBM: "I'm proud of my team.  Getting beat by 17 or 7 or .7, its all the same.  But we fought till the end.  We're men!"

A Real Reporter: "Clint, did you think about removing Nova after the 4th HR?"

HBM: "Not a chance. We knew he was only 1 HR away from the record and we're going to give him every chance to get it.  I couldn't be more proud of him or my team."

ARR: "But do you think that 5th HR affected the team's ability to win the game?"

HBM: "You act like this was the 7th game of a WS.  It's not (especially since our fans don't support us like KC).  This is just 1 of 162 or however many we actually play.  Sometimes you have to think long-term.  You manage the entire team for the entire season, not that I would expect any of you to understand."

Robbie: "Clint, if you could be a tree, what kind of tree would have the most impact for these fans?....Clint?  Clint....."
:D :D :D

You captured Robbie to a tee!
BenM

Post by BenM »

787F69616F783F334A6D676B6366246965670A0 wrote:

HBM: "I'm proud of my team.  Getting beat by 17 or 7 or .7, its all the same.  But we fought till the end.  We're men!"

This answer is so Clint.