Facebook Game 7/11

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Facebook Game 7/11

Post by Bobster21 »

After the game, Mercer was interviewed by one of the game announcers. Instead of a Robbie question like "what does it mean...?" or "how does it feel...?" he was actually asked intelligent questions, one of which was to assess Williams. He said Williams is a pitcher who has to be able to hit his spots. In other words, he won't get you out with great stuff but when he's accurate he can get you out on well located pitches. That seems accurate and explains his inconsistency. Williams has the lowest K rate and only Kuhl has a higher walk rate on the staff. He needs pinpoint control and he doesn't have it. Today in 5 innings he walked 3 and threw 81 pitches. He had only one 1-2-3 innings and had 2 runners aboard in 3 of his 5 innings. But he had enough control to get hitters out without having a bad inning. When he's sharp he can be very effective. When he's not he can get crushed. Probably looking at a career as a decent #5.
skinnyhorse

Facebook Game 7/11

Post by skinnyhorse »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: Nice to win 2 of 3 from the Nats, but I doubt that these wins, coupled with the win against Philly in the last game of their series changes the gloomy trajectory for the team.

Also agree that many in the pen appear to be (re)finding their footing.  If Vasquez pitches well up to the All-Star game it could increase his value.  Vasquez was likely the team's best tradable asset this off-season and looks like he may soon again reach that status.  Hate to trade away someone who is good, but you've got to be ready to give to get.
Agree but I have zero faith in NH evaluation of talent.  This whole organization needs to be blown up from the ground up, coaches, minor and major league, scouts, etc.  It scares me to death to have these idiots making trades.
OrlandoMerced

Facebook Game 7/11

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Went to the game yesterday. Polanco made some good plays in RF, he has the tools to be a good defensive OFer, he was also locked in his last at bat, smashing two balls fouls before roping a grounder to 1B to complete he 0'fer.

I wouldn't mind if they kept Mercer around as a part time player after this season, where he could get occasional starts at SS against a LH starter. I'd really like to try and trade Harrison this deadline, Kramer and Newman need more than a September call up if they are going to be considered for larger roles next year.
DemDog

Facebook Game 7/11

Post by DemDog »

If MLB goes to Facebook on a regular basis I think it will hurt the game more than help it. Listening to Ron Cook on The Fan this morning and he said there were only like 28000 Facebookers watching the game. I for one will not sign up for Facebook or Twitter too much of a chance to have my privacy invaded.
Ecbucs

Facebook Game 7/11

Post by Ecbucs »

1B3A321B30385F0 wrote: If MLB goes to Facebook on a regular basis I think it will hurt the game more than help it.  Listening to Ron Cook on The Fan this morning and he said there were only like 28000 Facebookers watching the game.  I for one will not sign up for Facebook or Twitter too much of a chance to have my privacy invaded.

I don't use twitter but go on Facebook about every day.  I've never had  a privacy problem or been hacked.  You do need to be careful when setting up privacy settings on who can see your page (make as little as possible public and it is doubtful there will be any problems).  There are a lot of Pirate groups on Facebook that are fun to follow. I used to work for a trade association and we were encouraged to use Facebook for work to connect with members.