Colin Moran

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

I worry about Moran because his ancillary tools are non-existent.   So far it's been great and he shows good approach to all fields.  However the minor league stats are concerning. He's a sub .800 OPS in AAA overall with a .280 average... and showed very little power until last year.   Walk rates are OK, but nothing spectacular.  Nothing that's going to pick him up in other areas if they lack.  

So my concern is that there's no fallback for him. Agonizingly slow baserunner, ho-hum fielder.  Doesn't come across to me as a terribly athletic player.

I think (and I agree with others I've seen say this) he's either going to drive the ball in the bigs, or he's going to have a hard time creating enough value to be anything special.     AKA he may end up the Mercer of 3b. 

Need quite a bit more sample to feel comfortable.  I'd really like to see him turn on some balls.  Pull the ball and really pop it.   .270 20-25 is where I'd like to see him before I feel like we can cross 3b off the list. Mostly because he's not a guy who's going to add value in other ways.    

Now if dude want's to hit .300 and slap the ball around the field, that's fine too, but seems unlikely based on his history  

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Colin Moran

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If you don't hit, you don't play. There aren't many defensive, good base running third basemen in baseball that don't hit. Those players are usually back up middle infielders too. Moran, or anyone for the most part, won't stick around if they don't hit the ball. I certainly don't want just a glove at any position. Moran was brought in because Freese didn't hit enough.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Colin Moran

Moran stands really close to the plate. He is pitched outside a lot. I think that is why he has a bunch of hits to LF. His two HRs were on the inside of the plate and both pulled over the RF wall.

I just wonder why he stands so close to the plate. Is it because he is pitched low and away a lot? Or is he pitched that way because he is so close? Teams never really try to jam him inside.
Ecbucs

Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: Moran stands really close to the plate. He is pitched outside a lot. I think that is why he has a bunch of hits to LF. His two HRs were on the inside of the plate and both pulled over the RF wall.

I just wonder why he stands so close to the plate. Is it because he is pitched low and away a lot? Or is he pitched that way because he is so close? Teams never really try to jam him inside.

I wonder also. He doesn't get hbp very often so he isn't trying to get on base via that route.
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

crowding the plate makes it easier for him to pull strikes, which I don't think he's doing enough of anyway so I really dont get it.

It's a good question and Moran stands so close to the plate, if someone texted it to the booth or something, I bet you could get Walk and Brown to talk about it.  He's as close as Rizzo, so it's pretty extreme.   I'd be interested in his reasoning for it because he's not pulling alot.  (Early)

Edit: what I mean is that at 6'4", he is able to turn the outside strike around and pull it by crowing the plate a la Rizzo.   If it's off the plate outside he should be taking and forcing the pitchers into the zone.   

To me, guys further from the plate who dive in are looking to go the other way more (JHay)...and guys crowding the plate are trying to pull(Rizzo).    What Moran is doing is curious
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Colin Moran

I wanted to give it some time to see his approach. He seems to go with the pitch more than trying to pull. Yet, teams do put a shift on him sometimes.

His pinch hit at bat in game two of the double header, he didn't swing at two pitches on the inside side of the plate that were called strikes. He did bloop a little single over the second baseman's head on a down and outside pitch.

I need to pull up his hit chart.
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

Maybe he's just behind the increased velocity in MLB? Hes pulling at 40% so far, which is good, but going to left at an equally high rate. And only to center 20 some percent.

With him crowding, ideally I think it should look more like 40 pull, 40 center, 20 left. Looking at his minor league spray numbers from last year, it may be small sample issue, or he may just be behind the fastball more so far. He wasn't going the other way this much last year
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Colin Moran

232A22333D470 wrote: Maybe he's just behind the increased velocity in MLB?   Hes pulling at 40% so far, which is good, but going to left at an equally high rate. And only to center 20 some percent.   

With him crowding, ideally I think it should look more like 40 pull, 40 center, 20 left.   Looking at his minor league spray numbers from last year, it may be small sample issue, or he may just be behind the fastball more so far.  He wasn't going the other way this much last year

Is it because that is how he is being pitched? A lot of balls seem to be low and away on him.
Ecbucs

Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: Maybe he's just behind the increased velocity in MLB?   Hes pulling at 40% so far, which is good, but going to left at an equally high rate. And only to center 20 some percent.   

With him crowding, ideally I think it should look more like 40 pull, 40 center, 20 left.   Looking at his minor league spray numbers from last year, it may be small sample issue, or he may just be behind the fastball more so far.  He wasn't going the other way this much last year

Is it because that is how he is being pitched?  A lot of balls seem to be low and away on him.

yeah, I wonder how is he getting pitched. I would think one strategy would be to bust him inside until he shows he can turn on fastballs with power.
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

Just checked his pitch chart and he's being pitched low so far this year. About even inside and out. So I don't know what it is.

I would think he should be busted inside too, because if you're throwing a guy who crowds like that, with that height, you're right in his wheelhouse throwing him a strike outside. This all may correct itself with more sample.