signed draft picks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

signed draft picks

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have until Friday to sign any additional draft picks. I assume they will sign the 2 players ( Koch and Gretler)who played in the College World Series, but it does not look very promising that they will sign Hoglund. Lately there has been no indication that he will be coming to Pittsburgh to sign a contract.
INbuc

signed draft picks

Post by INbuc »

The typical waiting exercise all teams go through each summer. I am certainly hopeful Hoglund will sign. He is slotted to make $1.967M. If the Bucs save 200K on Gretler and Koch, that would the equivalent of a four year degree at about any top college. Hoglund looks like a really unique prospect. As the week comes to an end, I hope he finds $2M too much to resist.
DemDog

signed draft picks

Post by DemDog »

494E627563000 wrote: The typical waiting exercise all teams go through each summer.  I am certainly hopeful Hoglund will sign.  He is slotted to make $1.967M.  If the Bucs save 200K on Gretler and Koch, that would the equivalent of a four year degree at about any top college.  Hoglund looks like a really unique prospect.  As the week comes to an end, I hope he finds $2M too much to resist.

Just wondering about your idea of his bonus being enough to pay for a top college education. Nice idea but why not give him slot and then pay his tuition to school as long as he is able to play some ball in the fall instructs. I wonder if that is allowed under the draft bonus rules?

INbuc

signed draft picks

Post by INbuc »

7F5E567F545C3B0 wrote: The typical waiting exercise all teams go through each summer.  I am certainly hopeful Hoglund will sign.  He is slotted to make $1.967M.  If the Bucs save 200K on Gretler and Koch, that would the equivalent of a four year degree at about any top college.  Hoglund looks like a really unique prospect.  As the week comes to an end, I hope he finds $2M too much to resist.

Just wondering about your idea of his bonus being enough to pay for a top college education.  Nice idea but why not give him slot and then pay his tuition to school as long as he is able to play some ball in the fall instructs.  I wonder if that is allowed under the draft bonus rules?

I am sure Hoglund will get every penny of the slot money, which is $1,967,900. The question is how much more can the Bucs come up with?

I was trying to infer if they came up with $200,000, they could argue they are paying for the equivalent of his cost of education.

Perhaps the Bucs could give that as straight signing bonus and still pony up for the cost of his college education?

I thought there might be some restrictions on that now with the slotting system. If not, a team might say " we will give you slot money and a million dollars for college." ::)
mouse

signed draft picks

Post by mouse »

Possum, where's your report? Did you get to see Swaggerty on the 28th? I'm guessing not but there's always hope.
DemDog

signed draft picks

Post by DemDog »

43415B5D4B2E0 wrote: Possum, where's your report? Did you get to see Swaggerty on the 28th? I'm guessing not but there's always hope.

Yes I did see him on June 23.  Not bad at all.  Did look bad in his first at bat as he struck out on a pitch low and away.  Did get 3 hits one a stinging double down the RF line.  In the field he was flawless although one fly ball he caught after getting turned around.  Played in CF. 

He has only played in 4 games the last on June 26.  Have not heard that he is hurt or anything.  If you are interested in following him and a lot of other 2018 picks go here:  Home of the West Virginia Black Bears

Update on Swaggerty not playing since 6/26. John Dreker at P2 is saying that he is away from the team now "dealing with family issues".
mouse

signed draft picks

Post by mouse »

Thank you, Possum, for the update and the link. I have been checking updates on several sites but the direct link is wonderful. I hope to see them in person when they play the Spikes.
dmetz

signed draft picks

Post by dmetz »

It's being reported, or at least floated, that Hogland seems unlikely to sign. Seems like he changed his mind on an early agreement.

I wonder what has changed on their side?
BenM

signed draft picks

Post by BenM »

What happens to slot money if a player doesn't sign? Does it transfer to next year or is it lost?
Ecbucs

signed draft picks

Post by Ecbucs »

07202B08450 wrote: What happens to slot money if a player doesn't sign? Does it transfer to next year or is it lost?

I think it is lost. That being said if the Bucs do get a pick for not signing someone this year that would impact their slot money next year.