Cards@Bucs 8/4 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

133534233525560 wrote: very surprised to see mcRae first one out of bullpen in a tie game.
It's his turn to pitch. Hurdle likes to set things up in advance. Doesn't matter whether it helps or hurts the team. Hurdle would rather win than lose but it's not that big a deal either way so he just sets things up and goes with it. Very easy, stress free job. People forget that the 6th win of the 11 game streak was the one when hurdle decided the 10th inning was Tanner Anderson's turn to pitch despite a 4-day AS break beginning the next day. Anderson gave up a run but Bucs got 2 to win. Hurdle wasn't trying to win that one.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

416467677259646C6E790B0 wrote: I don’t understand why McRae and Neverauskas were recalled. Had to be better options

When is Schugel going to be ready
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Hey, who's that Gold Glove 1Bman? Nice play by Cervelli!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: very surprised to see mcRae first one out of bullpen in a tie game.
It's his turn to pitch. Hurdle likes to set things up in advance. Doesn't matter whether it helps or hurts the team. Hurdle would rather win than lose but it's not that big a deal either way so he just sets things up and goes with it. Very easy, stress free job. People forget that the 6th win of the 11 game streak was the one when hurdle decided the 10th inning was Tanner Anderson's turn to pitch despite a 4-day AS break beginning the next day. Anderson gave up a run but Bucs got 2 to win. Hurdle wasn't trying to win that one.

I agree with your explanation and it is stupid approach. McRae should not be on Pirates roster at this point though and that is on NH. If NH is truly evaluating the team he will fire Hurdle before next season.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

We battle back to tie, and McRae immediately gives back 2 runs. He does not have the credentials to be pitching in the Majors. NH did a good job at the trade deadline but the decision to call up these 2 stiffs is non sensical
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea not a good decision on Clint’s part putting McRae in a tie game in a pennant race. I don’t like it all. You work so hard to tie this game back up and the Pirates once again have to overcome Hurdle and his dumb decision making.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

426574707568576374757568110 wrote: Yea not a good decision on Clint’s part putting McRae in a tie game in a pennant race. I don’t like it all. You work so hard to tie this game back up and the Pirates once again have to overcome Hurdle and his dumb decision making.
Exactly. I'm sure they wouldn't say so but it has to be frustrating to the players to see Hurdle manage this way. They fight back with 3 runs all with 2 outs to tie 4-4. The bullpen is strong. But Hurdle wants them to rest while he gives McRae some work. And there goes the game. In that 6th game of the 11 game streak, they battled back from a 5-2 deficit in the 8th to tie 5-5 and go extra innings. There would be 4 days off after the game. Hurdle decided to let the BP rest and put Tanner Anderson in for the 10th. He nearly gave the game away with 2 walks, a hit and a run but the Bucs came back to score 2 to win it anyway. When you bust your butt to come from behind and tie the score, the last thing you want is a manager who doesn't seem to care and immediately puts in the worst pitcher to get some work while other better pitchers are available. Use McRae in a blowout. Not in a tie game.

Until this year I've always thought Hurdle was just a mediocre manager, fond of formulas and not unlike many other mediocre managers. Maybe it's the 4-year security but this year IMHO he has become a horrible manager and a detriment to winning.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Just sit there Clint and let McRae continue to walk guys and let this game get away and give them this 3 run lead back. This one so far is all on Hurdle. Tired of his half ass managing.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I’m a Hurdle supporter but I have to agree with the Hurdle bashers tonight. Just because NH recalled McRae doesn’t mean Hurdle had to put him in. Especially in a tied game with a division rival. We cannot afford to just toss games away
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

In the first 15 innings of this series, the Bucs' pitchers have allowed 27 hits and 12 walks. Almost 3 baserunners an inning. Not good. Can Cervelli pitch?