Will 2018 Pirates be better than 2017?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

001D393B35500 wrote: I am surprised that the team lost their best player and their best pitcher yet most people think they will be better than last year.

Neither of them has that good last year.  In fact, I would argue their (terrible) performance was one of the primary reasons why they've fallen so much in the last two years.

They didn't have years like they have in the past, but they were still the best offensive player and a top starter.

McCutchen was still the best player on the team. He had the best overall year. Cole was at least a top starter and in the discussion as team's best. He provided the most innings and wins.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I voted better, but I have to acknowledge that I woke up this morning with a serious case of glass half-full optimism. I do believe they could threaten to reach the .500 mark with a few breaks. However, if the starting pitching performs down to its floor rather than reaching for its ceiling...it could get ugly.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

They'll lose close to 90, most likely. particularly after JHay and Mercer are traded away at the deadline or sooner.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Better? Nope. We didn't do anything to improve in the offseason. Our downfall will be the rotation.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

64747542545458370 wrote: Better?  Nope.  We didn't do anything to improve in the offseason.  Our downfall will be the rotation.

But shouldn't "we didn't do anything to improve" mean that we'll be the same as last year?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: Better?  Nope.  We didn't do anything to improve in the offseason.  Our downfall will be the rotation.

But shouldn't "we didn't do anything to improve" mean that we'll be the same as last year? 
I'm hopeful that the experienced gained last year by Taillon, Kuhl and Williams will make them better this year. And they should have a full season of Marte. Dickerson could replace the offense provided by Cutch. Cole wasn't very good last year. And maybe just better luck could give them a few more wins this year.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I think the pitching will be somewhat better. I like Kuhl and Williams more than most. I think Nova will be the weakest starter. The offense is another story. I do not think the offense will be any better overall even with a full year of Marte. Dickerson will provide close to the same power as Cutch but I don't believe the overall numbers will be as good. He doesn't have the .OBP that Cutch provided. I'm not sure that Moran is much of an upgrade over Freese. I keep hoping that Polanco will breakout but I'm not expecting it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

143934252233246467560 wrote: Better?  Nope.  We didn't do anything to improve in the offseason.  Our downfall will be the rotation.

I'm hopeful that the experienced gained last year by Taillon, Kuhl and Williams will make them better this year. And they should have a full season of Marte. Dickerson could replace the offense provided by Cutch. Cole wasn't very good last year. And maybe just better luck could give them a few more wins this year. 

Yeah, I think we were pretty close in the record guessing thread. I'm assuming (maybe that is bad to do, haha) that Marte will be here all season so added a few ticks to last year. Nothing drastic mind you.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

One OF spot and 3B were huge holes. Moran can't be worse than the guys who tried to play 3B last year. Marte has to be better than what the Pirates tried in LF all year. The health of Cervelli and Polanco will help the offense too.

Four positions that should be upgrades. Hopefully, the loss of McCutchen isn't that big of a drop off and can be made up by others.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: One OF spot and 3B were huge holes.  Moran can't be worse than the guys who tried to play 3B last year.  Marte has to be better than what the Pirates tried in LF all year.  The health of Cervelli and Polanco will help the offense too. 

Four positions that should be upgrades.  Hopefully, the loss of McCutchen isn't that big of a drop off and can be made up by others.
Hold on a second. Freese had a pretty decent season overall. He amassed 2 WAR. The offense was basically league average with a OPS+ of 96. He did have an .OBP of .368. His defense was above average.