92 wild pitches!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

92 wild pitches!

Post by Bobster21 »

4C7E72726654777E7376797E1F0 wrote: Have faith, I bet we can get to 100.
It'll be worth playing that make up game on 10/1 just to try. :)
mouse

92 wild pitches!

Post by mouse »

On my comment above, I was replying to Bobster's comment that started - "Well, let's say the catchers had been charged with 16 additional PBs, reducing the # of WPs by that amount. The additional 16 PBs is so many it would tie the Pirates with Boston for the most PBs (24) in MLB. " My suggestion is that the pass ball/wild pitch stat only comes up with there is some other effect - a runner moving up. If the catcher blocks the ball, keeps it in front of him rather than having it bounce, it doesn't count. So more effective catching might result in less combined WP/PB stats - it doesn't have to be a zero sum game where if it isn't a wild pitch it's a pass ball. Unfortunately, I can't judge catching skills, so I can't say the Pirate catchers are deficient in that area. It would be interesting to know, though, if one catcher has a disproportionate number of those.
Bobster21

92 wild pitches!

Post by Bobster21 »

76746E687E1B0 wrote: On my comment above, I was replying to Bobster's comment that started - "Well, let's say the catchers had been charged with 16 additional PBs, reducing the # of WPs by that amount. The additional 16 PBs is so many it would tie the Pirates with Boston for the most PBs (24) in MLB. " My suggestion is that the pass ball/wild pitch stat only comes up with there is some other effect - a runner moving up. If the catcher blocks the ball, keeps it in front of him rather than having it bounce, it doesn't count. So more effective catching might result in less combined WP/PB stats - it doesn't have to be a zero sum game where if it isn't a wild pitch it's a pass ball. Unfortunately, I can't judge catching skills, so I can't say the Pirate catchers are deficient in that area. It would be interesting to know, though, if one catcher has a disproportionate number of those.
I see it both ways. Obviously 92 WPs is a bizarre comment on the pitchers. But I see some of them that look like the catcher could have prevented it but didn't. And as I added, there are even more pitches that go to the backstop with no one on base that don't count as anything but a ball. The catchers need to improve. But 92 is such a high number that even improved blocking skills won't effectively remove the WP problem.