Lol. Dave Littlefield interviewed by the Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Ya. 

As much as we like to make fun of him, I guarantee that he knows more about "the game" than any of us. 
Well sure, but I wouldn't want to go to a bad surgeon just because he knows more about medicine than me.  ;)

well yeah, and just because he has good knowledge doesn't mean he makes good decisions.
BenM

Post by BenM »

This has the feeling of someone doing him a favor in getting him a courtesy interview. Because I don't see that he has developed a post Bucs resume to be a serious contender. His name isn't even being mentioned on NY sports talk.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

795E55763B0 wrote: This has the feeling of someone doing him a favor in getting him a courtesy interview. Because I don't see that he has developed a post Bucs resume to be a serious contender. His name isn't even being mentioned on NY sports talk.

From what I've read the owner wants someone who knows how to operate with a tight budget. Any recent Pirate GM would fit that qualification - and I'm sure he's not the same guy that left here. We all tend to learn from our mistakes.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I hope Dave gets it. Because maybe NH can do some damage in a deal with him and we won't hear from the Mets again as far as relevancy.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: Haha. 

Neither was the Titanic
LOL!!!

We'll never know what Littlefield might have done with looser purse strings. But his drafting was weak other than Cutch and Walker. The only other notable picks were Hughes, Watson and Gorzelanny. His first draft was to take Bryan Bullington #1 overall in a year with Zack Greinke, Melvin Upton Jr, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher and Denard Span and proclaim that Bullington had the potential to be a middle of the rotation starter. The Moskos pick was a disaster but was obviously money driven.

Then there was the Matt Morris trade. At that time rumors were spreading that Littlefield was on a very short leash and making a splash at the trade deadline was probably the only thing that could save his job. SF was trying to unload a no longer effective Morris at the end of his career and were willing to pay part of the 10+ mil left on his contract. But on the final day of the trade deadline, Littlefield seemed so desperate to make some deal that he offered to take on the entire 10+ mil for a washed up pitcher whose old team no longer wanted him. Morris had a 6.10 ERA as a Pirate the rest of 2007 and Littlefield was fired that September. NH released Morris the following April after 5 games with a 9.67 ERA as the Pirates ate the 10 mil owed Morris in 2008. The Morris deal looked like nothing more than Littlefield's desperate attempt to save his job and, since it didn't, he didn't have to work around the salary constraints it imposed on the team the following year. Littlefield has worked in the business many years and I'm sure he has some knowledge but his decision making as a GM was very suspect. 
What he did to the Pirates was near criminal and he should never been able to get another job in baseball. I'm sure he gave several teams special deals especially SF in return for future employment he knew he was done in Pittsburg. Slugs like him should be run out of baseball he damaged the Pirate brand for more years to come, you never get over an intentional sabotage of the team your suppose to represent.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

263E3C3B3B2C3D3A272630550 wrote: Haha. 

Neither was the Titanic
LOL!!!

We'll never know what Littlefield might have done with looser purse strings. But his drafting was weak other than Cutch and Walker. The only other notable picks were Hughes, Watson and Gorzelanny. His first draft was to take Bryan Bullington #1 overall in a year with Zack Greinke, Melvin Upton Jr, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher and Denard Span and proclaim that Bullington had the potential to be a middle of the rotation starter. The Moskos pick was a disaster but was obviously money driven.

Then there was the Matt Morris trade. At that time rumors were spreading that Littlefield was on a very short leash and making a splash at the trade deadline was probably the only thing that could save his job. SF was trying to unload a no longer effective Morris at the end of his career and were willing to pay part of the 10+ mil left on his contract. But on the final day of the trade deadline, Littlefield seemed so desperate to make some deal that he offered to take on the entire 10+ mil for a washed up pitcher whose old team no longer wanted him. Morris had a 6.10 ERA as a Pirate the rest of 2007 and Littlefield was fired that September. NH released Morris the following April after 5 games with a 9.67 ERA as the Pirates ate the 10 mil owed Morris in 2008. The Morris deal looked like nothing more than Littlefield's desperate attempt to save his job and, since it didn't, he didn't have to work around the salary constraints it imposed on the team the following year. Littlefield has worked in the business many years and I'm sure he has some knowledge but his decision making as a GM was very suspect. 
What he did to the Pirates was near criminal and he should never been able to get another job in baseball.  I'm sure he gave several teams special deals especially SF in return for future employment he knew he was done in Pittsburg.  Slugs like him should be run out of baseball he damaged the Pirate brand for more years to come, you never get over an intentional sabotage of the team your suppose to represent.

I think you are being a bit harsh with DL. He is not a bad or dumb person just as you are. He just does not have the mentality to be a GM. Ah, but he does have one great talent and that is coufing his marvelous head of hair. Now maybe he should move on to becoming and super duper Hollywood hairstylist! That would get him out of baseball I am sure! 8-)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not good but probably not as terrible as he seems from the outside. How's that for a controversial stand?

the DL talk made me start thinking about Cam Bonifay though. Consider that he was primarily fired because he made a bunch of big, bad free agent signings. Maybe DL took that to heart and made him more gunshy about $$$ than even the situation at the time dictated. Certainly though his tenure had more money problems than any other time in the franchise history. Much of it was imagined/cheapness, etc., though course not all of it was.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bonifay, if I am recalling correctly, also tended to see what prospects he had with any value, and would then trade them for some end-of-the-line guy who he hoped was the final piece to push them over the top. (and by over the top, I mean to 81 wins.)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

here's a cool link your post made me discover via google:

http://www.mlbtradetracker.com/user/tra ... onifay/271

mouse

Post by mouse »

That is an interesting list, and maybe not as one-sided as I recalled.