Kang and Harrison

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Kang and Harrison

Post by BenM »

Can the Pirates negotiate a new contract with Kang now, or do they have to pass on the option first (making him a free agent)?

Not that he would have a lot a interest, but it only takes one.
mouse

Kang and Harrison

Post by mouse »

I think they are able to talk contract with him, and if they reach a deal, do it all at once. It would only get problematic if Kang decided to be coy and not commit until after the decline date passed.
SCBucco

Kang and Harrison

Post by SCBucco »

5B575E534418425F5B59425E4F040676515B360 wrote: I think these should be the offseason priorities:

1. Acquire a RF for the first 2-3 months. Preferably a LH with some pop (Granderson?). Do NOT take the lazy, easy way out and announce the Luplow has the job.

2. Acquire a reliable glove-first SS. I would be fine with Hechavarria or someone similar. Don't take the lazy, easy way out and hand the job to Newman. I'm not at all convinced that he's ready.

3. Resolve 3B. I'm willing to roll the dice here with Kang/Moran if Kang's contract can be restructured.

4. Acquire a LF starting pitcher. Someone who is a No. 3 type caliber guy. Maybe Gio. Or maybe Happ, who is now more of a No. 2. We need more arms. And I really think we are desperate for a LH. Especially in this park. And no matter what NH says, we are not deep enough. There will be injuries. And there will be off-years and underachievement. Get. More. Legit. Pitching.

Do these 4 things and I will be fired up for 2019.

I agree with everything you say. I'd go after Marwin Gonzales who can play 2B and then Frazier goes to the outfield until Polanco gets back.

Marwin is sort of a Harrison clone. He can play 1B, 2B, SS and LF. He also played 3 games at 3B. The Pirates are an organization built on versatility. He would be a great fit.

I see people are jumping on the Gio bandwagon. I get it, but the dude would drive all of us nuts. Nova's inconsistencies get us all. Go is more inconsistent than Nova, if that is possible.
fjk090852-7

Kang and Harrison

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs have declined the option for Harrison as per Ken Rosenthal.
fjk090852-7

Kang and Harrison

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Adam Berry is reporting that Bucs also declined option on Kang. I thought they might have worked out some arrangement with him.
Ecbucs

Kang and Harrison

Post by Ecbucs »

5E5253080108000D0A150F380 wrote: Adam Berry is reporting that Bucs also declined option on Kang. I thought they might have worked out some arrangement with him.

unless they are sure he is done or are close to resigning him this is a risky move.

They were willing to pay S-Rod over $5 million. If they don't sign Kang they have to bring in a pretty big bat over the winter.

Attendance dropped 450k last season, they need to provide some hope to fans before start of season or attendance will drop again (I don't think it can drop 450k again but could see it going down a couple hundred thousand in worse case scenario.)
fjk090852-7

Kang and Harrison

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Trib is reporting that Kang may not be a free agent. His name is not listed on the MLB Free Agent List. Also the Bucs are not responding to questions at this time. Maybe they are working out a revised contract agreement.
SCBucco

Kang and Harrison

Post by SCBucco »

466061766070030 wrote: Adam Berry is reporting that Bucs also declined option on Kang. I thought they might have worked out some arrangement with him.

unless they are sure he is done or are close to resigning him this is a risky move.

They were willing to pay S-Rod over $5 million.   If they don't sign Kang they have to bring in a pretty big bat over the winter. 

Attendance dropped 450k last season, they need to provide some hope to fans before start of season or attendance will drop again (I don't think it can drop 450k again but could see it going down a couple hundred thousand in worse case scenario.)

A guy that has one pinch hit appearance in essentially two years. I just don't get the hype to be honest. If there was a better option, I would pursue it.
Ecbucs

Kang and Harrison

Post by Ecbucs »

7969685F4949452A0 wrote: Adam Berry is reporting that Bucs also declined option on Kang. I thought they might have worked out some arrangement with him.

They were willing to pay S-Rod over $5 million.   If they don't sign Kang they have to bring in a pretty big bat over the winter. 

A guy that has one pinch hit appearance in essentially two years.  I just don't get the hype to be honest.  If there was a better option, I would pursue it.

I hope there is a better option and team pursues it. I just don't know if there will be one given the team's budget constraints. I'm hoping they don't bring back Harrison or Mercer at reduced salaries and call it a day.

SCBucco

Kang and Harrison

Post by SCBucco »

537574637565160 wrote: Adam Berry is reporting that Bucs also declined option on Kang. I thought they might have worked out some arrangement with him.

A guy that has one pinch hit appearance in essentially two years.  I just don't get the hype to be honest.  If there was a better option, I would pursue it.

I hope there is a better option and team pursues it.  I just don't know if there will be one given the team's budget constraints. I'm hoping they don't bring back Harrison or Mercer at reduced salaries and call it a day.

With Escobar agreeing to a three-year 21 million deal (FREAKIN BARGAIN) with Arizona a week ago, Moustakas is the only good one out there, unless you think a 35-year old Chase Headley is work pursuing, or Donaldson. Moussaka will make a mint after declining the option from Milwaukee. Donaldson might be more open to a prove it deal. I'm not hopeful though.