Deal with Tribe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Deal with Tribe

Post by SammyKhalifa »

For what it's worth, my brother follows the Akron Aeros and the tribe and said he's a decent player, not a star of course but a guy. He's just a taaaaad bit blocked in Cleveland.
CarolinaBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I guess my primary question is this ... is Gonzalez considered an elite defensive glove at SS? If he is, then I understand this trade if that's the guy they have targeted for SS, hoping he can be respectable at the plate and hit maybe .260. If he is not an elite glove, then I don't understand this trade at all.
Bobster21

Deal with Tribe

Post by Bobster21 »

7F5D4E535055525D7E495F5F533C0 wrote: I guess my primary question is this ... is Gonzalez considered an elite defensive glove at SS? If he is, then I understand this trade if that's the guy they have targeted for SS, hoping he can be respectable at the plate and hit maybe .260. If he is not an elite glove, then I don't understand this trade at all.
This article is not encouraging: https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2018/11/14 ... dan-luplow

Though his playing time has been sparse, Gonzalez has found a way to make an impact as a contact hitter and versatile fielder for the Indians, hitting .263 with a .292 OBP in 275 MLB plate appearances while appearing at every position except pitcher, catcher, and center field. He’s not much of a power hitter, however, having posted a .389 slugging percentage with just 22 extra-base hits, including five homers, over his big-league career. With the Pirates likely to move on from their 2018 middle-infield duo, Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer, Gonzalez should at least serve as an experienced bench option next year for the Pirates.

Sounds more like another version of Pablo Reyes than a starting shortstop. I don't think Luplow and Moroff are highly coveted players who would bring a great deal in return. And Gonzalez comes with 2 other players so he doesn't seem to have great value on his own.

I'm thinking that with Frazier targeted to start at 2B, Pablo Reyes, who was very impressive in a SSS and even hit 3 HRs in 58 ABs, may be filling in for Polanco in RF instead of starting the season as a supersub. So that role might be going to Erik Gonzalez. In that case, SS still remains to be seen.
fjk090852-7

Deal with Tribe

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think this trade will work out for the Pirates, but one has to wonder as to whether they gave up on Luplow or Moroff too early in their careers. Who knows maybe Luplow will be the next Steve Pearce.
Osushawn

Deal with Tribe

Post by Osushawn »

446964757263743437060 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?
I think they want Frazier at 2B. But this might open up RF for Reyes until Polanco returns.

Forgot about Reyes in the OF. Would rather have him out there and Frazier at 2nd. Lets see if Reyes can capitalize off his shot this season.
fjk090852-7

Deal with Tribe

Post by fjk090852-7 »

073B3D3B20293F26480 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?
I think they want Frazier at 2B. But this might open up RF for Reyes until Polanco returns.

Forgot about Reyes in the OF.  Would rather have him out there and Frazier at 2nd.  Lets see if Reyes can capitalize off his shot this season.

I liked what Reyes did in September, but I think the Bucs should pursue a veteran outfielder like Jon Jay as a fourth outfielder and pinch hitter off the bench.
DemDog

Deal with Tribe

Post by DemDog »

The talk about Gonzales, Reyes, and Jay intrigues me. None off any pop at the plate and only middling BA. Both Gonzales and Reyes offer more UT than Jay but Jay is the only proven OF of the 3. I wonder what it would take to get Jay here on a 1 yr deal with an option?
SyrBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by SyrBucco »

I like this move. Gonzalez will compete with Newman for the SS job, and they can both fill in at 2B when Frazier sits - most likely vs. lefty pitching. I would have preferred Iglesias, but if this move frees up cash for a Polanco substitute, I'm OK with it.

I want Frazier to play 2B - not RF - because his future is there and he will not improve defensively if he's not playing the position.

Luplow's departure means that Pablo Reyes will be the right-handed extra OF. We need a lefty bat to soften Polanco's loss and I'm hoping we find a FA who meets that job description. I'm hoping that we sign Gerardo Parra. He would make an excellent 4th OF after Polanco's return and recovery.

We have an organizational weakness with lefthanded relief pitchers, and we need to sign a FA to help out there. Internal options aren't ready. I hope we do better due diligence than we did spending 11 mil on Daniel Hudson.

Finally, I hope we can talk Stallings into a relatively high minor league salary so that we have an insurance policy for the inevitable injuries to Cervelli and Diaz. I like his defense.
fjk090852-7

Deal with Tribe

Post by fjk090852-7 »

103A31013620202C430 wrote: I like this move. Gonzalez will compete with Newman for the SS job, and they can both fill in at 2B when Frazier sits - most likely vs. lefty pitching. I would have preferred Iglesias, but if this move frees up cash for a Polanco substitute, I'm OK with it.

I want Frazier to play 2B - not RF - because his future is there and he will not improve defensively if he's not playing the position.

Luplow's departure means that Pablo Reyes will be the right-handed extra OF. We need a lefty bat to soften Polanco's loss and I'm hoping we find a FA who meets that job description. I'm hoping that we sign Gerardo Parra. He would make an excellent 4th OF after Polanco's return and recovery.

We have an organizational weakness with lefthanded relief pitchers, and we need to sign a FA to help out there. Internal options aren't ready. I hope we do better due diligence than we did spending 11 mil on Daniel Hudson.

Finally, I hope we can talk Stallings into a relatively high minor league salary so that we have an insurance policy for the inevitable injuries to Cervelli and Diaz. I like his defense.
I think Stallings is out of options so he must break camp out of ST or else the Bucs have to place him on waivers. I doubt if he would clear waivers if he ends up there.
BucsFaninGA

Deal with Tribe

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I read somewhere recently that Stallings has one more option left!

I like the deal as Morhoff was not going to make the club and they had lost interest in him. He wasn't even called up in September.

Luplow was athletic in the OF, but he just couldn't get on base. Maybe he will blossom in Cleveland.

Like the move with Indians. Maybe Gonzalez will pan out.

Sure hope the FO pursues a legitimate OF -John Jay, Parra, etch... And relief help...

Could be an interesting offseason...Beat'em Bucs 8-)