Time to Vent

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Time to Vent

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1E3F371E353D5A0 wrote: Okay, time to vent. I realize it's still early, but I'm feeling like it's time to settle in for another offseason in which other teams try to get better and the Pirates try to build their roster without spending money.

* I'm happy with the Kang signing and I'm okay with the plan for a Kang/Moran platoon at 3b. It's actually not great but we have lots of bigger problems to worry about.

* I'm okay with the Chisenhall signing ... but as a 4th OF and a utility player. He's a good pickup for that role.

* I'm not happy if the plan to replace Polanco is a Chisenhall/Reyes platoon. I like both guys, but not as a starting RF trying to replace our ONLY true power source.

* I'm absolutely not happy if the plan at SS is to go with either Newman and/or Gonzalez. This is not a solution. PLEASE SPEND SOME MONEY and sign a major league SS. Honestly I would be fine with Hechavarria. If the SS is not going to hit, we should at least pay for elite, Gold Glove caliber defense. Newman/Gonzalez is not a good idea.

* We need more pitching We need LEFT-HANDED pitching. Why in the world can't we SPEND SOME MONEY on someone like JA Happ. We need more pitching depth. I hate it every offseason when the Pirates say "we like our rotation and the depth behind it." Look, we know some guys are going to underachieve and have poor seasons, and some guys are going to get injured. WE NEED MORE QUALITY PITCHING.

If this current roster is essentially going to be our roster on opening day, plus a bullpen tweak or two, then we are in big, big, trouble. I can't believe (actually I can believe) that the Pirates are willing to go into a new season with these kind of holes in RF and SS, with virtually no power, and with little pitching depth (and again no lefties).

PLEASE SPEND SOME MONEY. PLEASE.

I hear ya, Carolina Bucco.  But it all boils down to the question you raise and which I have highlighted.  It is NOT in Nutting's genes to spend money!  Not just on players but the scouting of players both amateur and MLB guys and the development staff throughout the entire organization.

Until this club is sold or Nutting suddenly develops a gene mutation the Bucs will forever lag behind the larger market spending clubs.

I think we're not seeing the forest for the trees.  If only fixing the problems were that easy.  Of course spending a little more would make us a little better but it is not enough.  Ask the Indians or the Royals. 

TV Contracts.  TV Contracts.  TV Contracts. 
Ecbucs

Time to Vent

Post by Ecbucs »

192B27273301222B26232C2B4A0 wrote: Okay, time to vent. I realize it's still early, but I'm feeling like it's time to settle in for another offseason in which other teams try to get better and the Pirates try to build their roster without spending money.

* I'm happy with the Kang signing and I'm okay with the plan for a Kang/Moran platoon at 3b. It's actually not great but we have lots of bigger problems to worry about.

* I'm okay with the Chisenhall signing ... but as a 4th OF and a utility player. He's a good pickup for that role.

* I'm not happy if the plan to replace Polanco is a Chisenhall/Reyes platoon. I like both guys, but not as a starting RF trying to replace our ONLY true power source.

* I'm absolutely not happy if the plan at SS is to go with either Newman and/or Gonzalez. This is not a solution. PLEASE SPEND SOME MONEY and sign a major league SS. Honestly I would be fine with Hechavarria. If the SS is not going to hit, we should at least pay for elite, Gold Glove caliber defense. Newman/Gonzalez is not a good idea.

* We need more pitching We need LEFT-HANDED pitching. Why in the world can't we SPEND SOME MONEY on someone like JA Happ. We need more pitching depth. I hate it every offseason when the Pirates say "we like our rotation and the depth behind it." Look, we know some guys are going to underachieve and have poor seasons, and some guys are going to get injured. WE NEED MORE QUALITY PITCHING.

If this current roster is essentially going to be our roster on opening day, plus a bullpen tweak or two, then we are in big, big, trouble. I can't believe (actually I can believe) that the Pirates are willing to go into a new season with these kind of holes in RF and SS, with virtually no power, and with little pitching depth (and again no lefties).

I hear ya, Carolina Bucco.  But it all boils down to the question you raise and which I have highlighted.  It is NOT in Nutting's genes to spend money!  Not just on players but the scouting of players both amateur and MLB guys and the development staff throughout the entire organization.

Until this club is sold or Nutting suddenly develops a gene mutation the Bucs will forever lag behind the larger market spending clubs.

I think we're not seeing the forest for the trees.  If only fixing the problems were that easy.  Of course spending a little more would make us a little better but it is not enough.  Ask the Indians or the Royals. 

Let's hope Frank doesn't negotiate the next one.
SammyKhalifa

Time to Vent

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4F69687F69790A0 wrote: Okay, time to vent. I realize it's still early, but I'm feeling like it's time to settle in for another offseason in which other teams try to get better and the Pirates try to build their roster without spending money.

Let's hope Frank doesn't negotiate the next one.
Yeah.

A better deal will definitely help. But no matter how well we do it won't be the dodgers or what the Cubs or even the Cardinals will get. File this under "never gonna happen" but the only real answer is to better share the deals across MLB.
gileszee

Time to Vent

Post by gileszee »

So if we had a real ML owner, who was willing to spend and allow our team to compete with the elites of our own division for God's sake. SS would be Manny Machado's and RF would be Bryce Harper's.

But we are not Philadelphia, sigh. Oh well, I will continue to follow our Bucs and the guys on the team. Hoping for the best, and if we get to .500 this year it will be a miracle.
SCBucco

Time to Vent

Post by SCBucco »

John Schopp, 1-year, 7.5 mill to the Twins. Yep, vent time ... missed opportunity.
CarolinaBucco

Time to Vent

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates are just sitting back, perfectly content with Newman/Gonzalez at SS, Chisenhall/Reyes in RF, and not enough pitching depth.

All is good. No need to SPEND MONEY because team is fully capable of finishing 4th place as currently constituted, which is just fine!
CarolinaBucco

Time to Vent

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I know the Pirates will never do this, but Keuchel, Happ, Miley and Gio Gonzalez are all still out there ... left-handed starters that would help our rotation and also diversify it. Charlie Morton is also available. But God forbid we SPEND MONEY on something ridiculous like trying to make our team better.
Bobster21

Time to Vent

Post by Bobster21 »

6042514C4F4A4D42615640404C230 wrote: I know the Pirates will never do this, but Keuchel, Happ, Miley and Gio Gonzalez are all still out there ... left-handed starters that would help our rotation and also diversify it. Charlie Morton is also available. But God forbid we SPEND MONEY on something ridiculous like trying to make our team better.
I hear ya CB, but I guess I'm long past the point of expecting anything from TBMTIB. We all know how they work and how low they set the bar. Dickerson fell into their lap last year. A nice surprise. They overpaid for Archer but were willing to do so because he has a team friendly contract. But those kinds of situations rarely occur so there's little to hope for in terms of any significant acquisitions this off season. Fans have tried setting record attendance (2015) and staying away in droves (2018) but neither effected the strategy of penny pinching. Maybe a new TV deal will help. But it's hard to imagine this regime operating any differently. I'm past the point of getting bothered by it. It is what it is. :(
Leyland1948

Time to Vent

Post by Leyland1948 »

Does anyone know if there are any ongoing talks about the new TV contract?
fjk090852-7

Time to Vent

Post by fjk090852-7 »

09203C29242B21747C717D450 wrote: Does anyone know if there are any ongoing talks about the new TV contract?
Just like with trades and player extensions, they keep everything close to the vest. You don’t see anything in the media until an announcement is made.