Cervelli?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Cervelli?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I hope this is just an exploratory gesture from the Pirates looking to deal from a position of depth to move a short term asset for a long term piece. It would think this position from NH is the same one he took last year with Harrison, field offers, if nothing is desirable, keep the player.
johnfluharty

Cervelli?

Post by johnfluharty »

So where do you think Cervelli would rank among the free agent catchers that are available.
Bobster21

Cervelli?

Post by Bobster21 »

313433353D372E333A292F225B0 wrote: So where do you think Cervelli would rank among the free agent catchers that are available.
I have to believe he ranks very low. Not on talent, but for other significant reasons. First, he's under contract thru 2019 for 11.5 million. He misses a lot of games due to injury, especially now that he's had several concussions and goes into the protocol with just about every foul tip off his mask. That's what a team gets for 11.5 million. It's not negotiable. While free agents might be less talented, their contracts will be negotiated for 2019 so a team doesn't have to feel that it has no choice but to overpay them. And in the unlikely event that Cervelli surprises everyone and doesn't deal with injury issues in 2019, he becomes a free agent in 2020, so he's a 1 year rental. I don't see the Pirates picking up a huge chunk of his salary to trade him. If that's the case, they might as well keep him and let him share time with Diaz. And if a team was willing to pay all or most of his salary to acquire him in a trade, the return would be very minor since the compensation coming to the Pirates would primarily be the salary relief.
Roberto218

Cervelli?

Post by Roberto218 »

WAR? What is it good for? Cervelli had 3.2 and Diaz had 2.0 for a combined 5.2. One WAR is worth $8 million. Do the math. Cervelli was worth $25.6 million and Diaz was worth $16 million---A combined value of $41.6 million for Diaz's $559,000 and Cervelli's $11,500,000..combined $12,059,000.

It seems to me that we need more positions that produce over 5 WAR!!!!!
Quail

Cervelli?

Post by Quail »

2314021227000F080F2620610 wrote: I understand the thinking behind entertaining offers on Francisco. And accept it. Dang our team has had some darn good catchers in my lifetime...

Smokey Burgess

Jim Paglaroni

Jerry May

Manny Sanguillen

Milt May

Steve Nicosia

Tony Pena

Spanky and Sluggo

Jason Kendall

Russell Martin

Francisco Cervelli

Would hate to see him go...Diaz looks like he is ready to handle the pitching staff though. If they deal Franky, I hope they get quality in return and Francisco goes to a team that is a winner. He certainly has given it his all as a Bucco...Would love to see him come back as a coach. The guy has a ton of personality and appears to be a good teacher. Will be interesting to see what Neal can get for Francisco....If not, I know he will do his darnedest wearing the tools of ignorance another season...   8-)

Great list! I think it's worth mentioning Ed Ott as one of the good ones as well.

Special mention to Hank Foiles, Bob Oldis, and Harding Peterson who all caught for the Pirates either in the late 50s or early 60s, and all three of whom are among the 100 oldest living former Major League players.

Bonus trivia question: Who is the oldest living former Pirate?

Hint: He wasn't a catcher.

DemDog

Cervelli?

Post by DemDog »

5377636B6E020 wrote: I understand the thinking behind entertaining offers on Francisco. And accept it. Dang our team has had some darn good catchers in my lifetime...

Smokey Burgess

Jim Paglaroni

Jerry May

Manny Sanguillen

Milt May

Steve Nicosia

Tony Pena

Spanky and Sluggo

Jason Kendall

Russell Martin

Francisco Cervelli

Would hate to see him go...Diaz looks like he is ready to handle the pitching staff though. If they deal Franky, I hope they get quality in return and Francisco goes to a team that is a winner. He certainly has given it his all as a Bucco...Would love to see him come back as a coach. The guy has a ton of personality and appears to be a good teacher. Will be interesting to see what Neal can get for Francisco....If not, I know he will do his darnedest wearing the tools of ignorance another season...   8-)

Great list! I think it's worth mentioning Ed Ott as one of the good ones as well.

Special mention to Hank Foiles, Bob Oldis, and Harding Peterson who all caught for the Pirates either in the late 50s or early 60s, and all three of whom are among the 100 oldest living former Major League players.

Bonus trivia question: Who is the oldest living former Pirate?

Hint: He wasn't a catcher.

He is Waldon T. Westlake and he was born November 8, 1920, in Gridley California. He was an outfielder and 3Bman.
Quail

Cervelli?

Post by Quail »

Possum, I knew you'd get that one! Weren't you Wally's Little League coach?  ;D
BucsFaninGA

Cervelli?

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Quail, How could I forget Ed The Otter Ott! I saw him play several time at Triple Charleston back in the late 70's.

Will have to think on the oldest Pirate. My immediate response was going to be Bob Oldis. But you said non-catcher! BTW, I hear Francisco Cordova is still alive and pitching south of the border, LOL :D and still likes going barefoot while pitching!
BucsFaninGA

Cervelli?

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Wally Westlake is the oldest living Bucco. Recall hearing that Rosey Roweswell used to say, Aunt Minnie shut the window, cause Wally just hit one into the West Lake! ;D
BucsFaninGA

Cervelli?

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I thought Possum used to coach Honus and Tommy Leach?