Waiver claim

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Waiver claim

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7F59584F59493A0 wrote: I have no problem with NH playing longshot lottery tickets with waiver-wire-claim types, and shuttling them in and out. Who knows, he might get lucky. But, I'm not really thrilled with the idea that "getting lucky" is THE PLAN for this franchise.

getting lucky is a good plan though.  If it doesn't work you can just say it was because of bad luck not incompetence or bad decisions.  Of course i never told my boss that getting lucky was the plan.
He is worth the risk. He won 15 games at AAA in 2017. That’s not to bad.
Bobster21

Waiver claim

Post by Bobster21 »

0F2B3F37325E0 wrote: I have no problem with NH playing longshot lottery tickets with waiver-wire-claim types, and shuttling them in and out. Who knows, he might get lucky. But, I'm not really thrilled with the idea that "getting lucky" is THE PLAN for this franchise.
This kind of minor move is common throughout MLB. For most teams, it's just a matter of taking a flyer on someone which is fine if it works out but not really expected to amount to anything. Unfortunately for the Pirates, they don't do much else besides these minor moves. So we tend to assign more significance than such moves deserve and get more upset when/if they don't pan out.
mouse

Waiver claim

Post by mouse »

The Phils, I see, signed Gift Ngoepe. Their fans are likely wondering if this means they decided to pass on Machado.
Bobster21

Waiver claim

Post by Bobster21 »

7E7C666076130 wrote: The Phils, I see, signed Gift Ngoepe. Their fans are likely wondering if this means they decided to pass on Machado.
;D ;D ;D
Roberto218

Waiver claim

Post by Roberto218 »

Utah, I like the Chris Young analogy. There is an advantage to being 6' 10" as far as the plane of the pitch and a release point closer to home plate.
fjk090852-7

Waiver claim

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I hope that the Bucs pitching coordinators can bring out the potential in Slegers. It seems from time to time a team picks up one of these waiver claims and the player becomes this exceptional player. Maybe it will be the Pirates time to discover this type of player.
SammyKhalifa

Waiver claim

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1331223F3C393E31122533333F500 wrote: This sounds like the Pirates doing something just so they can say they're doing something ... even though they're not doing anything.

I don't think they're trying to trick anyone with this move--it's just the sort that all teams do all the time this time of year.  Not everything is a scheme.
Bobster21

Waiver claim

Post by Bobster21 »

093B37372311323B36333C3B5A0 wrote: This sounds like the Pirates doing something just so they can say they're doing something ... even though they're not doing anything.

I don't think they're trying to trick anyone with this move--it's just the sort that all teams do all the time this time of year.  Not everything is a scheme.
I agree. As I said earlier, all teams make these minor moves to take flyers on waived players and the player is often never heard of again. For most teams, this stuff flies under the radar. It's not as if Pirate mgt calls a press conference to announce this type of minor acquisition. But the Pirates do so little else that the media guys covering them have nothing else to write or talk about. So these minor moves end up looking like the Pirates are trying to pass it off as more than it is. But that's not really the case. It's just that they don't give us anything else to discuss.