Looking ahead to 2019 aka Hot Stove Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I will be very surprised if TBMTIB does anything out of their comfort zone next year. I think Nova stays as they see there is no replacement in the system at this time. The BP is set. Dickerson likely stays due to Polanco's absence. Mercer and Harrison go. They have emphasized drafting middle infielders (Newman, Kramer, Tucker) with the knowledge that Mercer will not be re-signed. So I don't see them going out and paying for a veteran SS. Frazier or Kramer probably take over 2B. Or some platoon combo of Frazier/Kramer/Luplow for 2B-RF. I'm sure Bell will be at 1B for better or worse. Hopefully better. Osuna can fill Freese' role for 3B-1B. Cervelli/Diaz will return. Both have injury issues and will both be needed. Cervelli's contract makes him untradable considering how often he misses games (unless the Bucs pick up a chunk of his salary). 3B is the only question. They see what we see in Moran. A significant upgrade like Moustakas would be a big addition. But if they can't get an upgrade they'll likely stay the course with Moran and see if he improves. My best guess is we'll see similar pitching to this year (hopefully Archer improves) and similar hitting. It would be great if Bell became a power hitter and they upgraded 3B. But that remains to be seen.
Quail

Post by Quail »

5646477066666A050 wrote: I agree in large part with what IABucFan has stated with a few reservations:

With questions concerning Kuhl's health for 2019 I keep Nova. Brault, Kingham and Keller might push for a rotation spot but Nova provides a no doubt option that allows those three to develop without undue pressure.

I would rather see the Pirates sign Hechavarria as middle infield insurance rather than a 4th outfielder. Using Frazier or Luplow as the 4th outfielder should be just fine.

I want Hurdle gone. For just one example among many, in 2017 & 2018 Clint played Sean Rodriguez in 105 games and allowed him 279 plate appearances while watching him bat .167 and OPS around .550 while his defense went down the crapper. Seriously, what kind of manager would think this is a sound strategy for winning?

I don't want Brault or Holmes anywhere near the rotation.  I don't think either is good.

I would not resign Harrison or Mercer.  Both look gone.  Use that $$$ on signing Moustakas.

I have faith in the starting rotation for once.

Bullpen - Vasquez, Kela, Santana, Crick and Rodriguez is a good start.

Catcher - not opposed to dealing Cervelli.  However, Diaz comes across as fragile.  If he can stay heathy, he could put up better numbers than Frankie Cervelli.  There are some interesting names out there as catching free agents.  We aren't signing Grandal, but Mesoraco?  Lucroy?  Suzuki?  Maldonado?  I have little faith in stallings and we have little as far as talent on the farm at the position.  Stafford is the only C prospect among our top 25 and he was only in A ball.

100% agree. I really like the idea of signing Moustakas (or Donaldson). Getting some power from 3B would really help the offense. I feel like there's a chance Bell will rebound with some plus offense, but I think Moran is what we've seen- a John Jaso clone with less power, fewer walks and perhaps worse defense. I like the Cervelli/Diaz catching combo except for their fragility. If at least one of them can stay healthy (big IF) we should be okay there.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Starters - Keep Nova. Agree with Bobster; Kingham, Brault and Holmes do not represent good depth. Only real hope on the horizon is Keller or a sudden return to health in Kuhl. Only way I deal Nova is if the Bucs sign a legit lefty starter. Jury is still out on Archer.

Relievers - Top 5 in the pen looks pretty solid. That said, not much else among the remaining contenders. Looked like Brault may be rounding into shape but he has reverted to walking way too many. I would like the Bucs to add another real reliever to the mix.

Infield - The transition started in earnest this year. Next year it comes to full fruition. Go with Newman/Kramer/Frazier in the middle, and pray that Bell relearns how to hit. Understand the interest in moving on (already) from Moran, but I'm not sold on the Mouse.

Outfield - Bummer on Polanco injury. Keep Marte. Get Luplow at-bats. Okay with signing Dickerson for a year but no more. I am also death on bringing McCutchen back. He is no longer a good major league ballplayer, and likely wouldn't adjust well to being a semi-regular in Pittsburgh.

Hurdle - Please, please get another manager.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Pitching is in great shape. Best in a very long time. Tailion, Williams, Musgrove and Archer give the Pirates have four top end guys. I tend to think they will trade Nova and free up $9M. I think they have the depth to fill that 5th spot. The pen looks very good as well.

Polanco's injury really messes up the lineup. Personally, I'd add Matt Adams if he has an arm that can play right field. Assuming he can play right, he gives us a big bat to move around to two critical positions: right and 1st, if either Polanco (once he returns) or Bell struggle with little power. The cost for Adams is going to be affordable to the Pirates, leaving the real money for the one BIG addition (discussed below).

I'm inclined to give 2nd to Frazer, and believe he can become a capable defensive player. His bat is too important.

First - we have to roll with Bell. Catcher I think is in good hands. SS is in good defensive hands.

I'd do everything reasonably possible to trade for Moustakas with the intention of doing everything I can to sign him to a three-year extension. The hit on payroll next year would be $15M. However, I figure the Brewers will not even consider a trade with the Pirates, I'd look at Escobar

Bottom line - I REALLY like the 2019 Pirates IF the FO adds just a couple pieces. But of course, we all know how that's gone in the past. But it sure looks like they can afford to finish the team this time.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5377636B6E020 wrote: I agree in large part with what IABucFan has stated with a few reservations:

With questions concerning Kuhl's health for 2019 I keep Nova. Brault, Kingham and Keller might push for a rotation spot but Nova provides a no doubt option that allows those three to develop without undue pressure.

I would rather see the Pirates sign Hechavarria as middle infield insurance rather than a 4th outfielder. Using Frazier or Luplow as the 4th outfielder should be just fine.

I want Hurdle gone. For just one example among many, in 2017 & 2018 Clint played Sean Rodriguez in 105 games and allowed him 279 plate appearances while watching him bat .167 and OPS around .550 while his defense went down the crapper. Seriously, what kind of manager would think this is a sound strategy for winning?

I don't want Brault or Holmes anywhere near the rotation.  I don't think either is good.

I would not resign Harrison or Mercer.  Both look gone.  Use that $$$ on signing Moustakas.

I have faith in the starting rotation for once.

Bullpen - Vasquez, Kela, Santana, Crick and Rodriguez is a good start.

Catcher - not opposed to dealing Cervelli.  However, Diaz comes across as fragile.  If he can stay heathy, he could put up better numbers than Frankie Cervelli.  There are some interesting names out there as catching free agents.  We aren't signing Grandal, but Mesoraco?  Lucroy?  Suzuki?  Maldonado?  I have little faith in stallings and we have little as far as talent on the farm at the position.  Stafford is the only C prospect among our top 25 and he was only in A ball.

100% agree. I really like the idea of signing Moustakas (or Donaldson). Getting some power from 3B would really help the offense. I feel like there's a chance Bell will rebound with some plus offense, but I think Moran is what we've seen- a John Jaso clone with less power, fewer walks and perhaps worse defense. I like the Cervelli/Diaz catching combo except for their fragility. If at least one of them can stay healthy (big IF) we should be okay there.

Re Moustakas - don't the Brewers have a one year option on him for 2019? I'd love to see him in a Pirate uniform, but doubt the Brewers will be an easy trade partner.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Moustakas has a $15 Million Mutual Option for 2019
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

52737B527971160 wrote: Moustakas has a $15 Million Mutual Option for 2019

So the Pirates just need to give him an incentive to decline the option (we'll pay you $18 million).

I have a tough time thinking about what the Pirates should do.

Is it realistic to expect Moran to improve?

Can Bell bounceback and do better in 2019 than he did in 2017?

Is Trevor Williams for real (if so it is a fantastic story).

Taillon seems to have taken a big step forward this season, can he improve?

Musgrove and Archer both have potential to be better but will they be?

What can be expected from Polanco? Newman, Kramer and Frazier?

The Bucs just don't have a lot of players with a good track record yet. Career wise, Marte has done best year in and year out with just 2017 as a bad year.

With all these questions it is hard to figure out what is the best thing to do but probably the most impactful change would be to find a good hitter with power. Polanco leads the Bucs with 23 homers which ranks 46th in majors. By end of season that might rank 80th.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

53727A537870170 wrote: Moustakas has a $15 Million Mutual Option for 2019

I think he takes it and Milwaukee wants him back based on the options at third for free agents, but who knows?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

002C2423280F382E3E4D0 wrote: Starters - Keep Nova.  Agree with Bobster; Kingham, Brault and Holmes do not represent good depth.  Only real hope on the horizon is Keller or a sudden return to health in Kuhl.  Only way I deal Nova is if the Bucs sign a legit lefty starter.  Jury is still out on Archer.

Relievers - Top 5 in the pen looks pretty solid.  That said, not much else among the remaining contenders.  Looked like Brault may be rounding into shape but he has reverted to walking way too many.  I would like the Bucs to add another real reliever to the mix. 

Infield - The transition started in earnest this year.  Next year it comes to full fruition.  Go with Newman/Kramer/Frazier in the middle, and pray that Bell relearns how to hit.  Understand the interest in moving on (already) from Moran, but I'm not sold on the Mouse.

Outfield - Bummer on Polanco injury.  Keep Marte.  Get Luplow at-bats.  Okay with signing Dickerson for a year but no more.  I am also death on bringing McCutchen back.  He is no longer a good major league ballplayer, and likely wouldn't adjust well to being a semi-regular in Pittsburgh. 

Archer will be better than what he has shown in 2019. I would almost bank on that. The keys are Taillon and Williams remain close to what they are. Musgrove has the ability to improve to maybe 3.45ish era. Nova is Nova.

Frazier will provide another upgrade from an offensive standpoint. He will bypass Harrison numbers easily. Defense is the ??? Moustakas is a big time upgrade over Moran from a power and defense standpoint. That isn't up for debate. Batting average wise, they are probably very similar.

Agree, no Cutch.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1303023523232F400 wrote: Starters - Keep Nova.  Agree with Bobster; Kingham, Brault and Holmes do not represent good depth.  Only real hope on the horizon is Keller or a sudden return to health in Kuhl.  Only way I deal Nova is if the Bucs sign a legit lefty starter.  Jury is still out on Archer.

Relievers - Top 5 in the pen looks pretty solid.  That said, not much else among the remaining contenders.  Looked like Brault may be rounding into shape but he has reverted to walking way too many.  I would like the Bucs to add another real reliever to the mix. 

Infield - The transition started in earnest this year.  Next year it comes to full fruition.  Go with Newman/Kramer/Frazier in the middle, and pray that Bell relearns how to hit.  Understand the interest in moving on (already) from Moran, but I'm not sold on the Mouse.

Outfield - Bummer on Polanco injury.  Keep Marte.  Get Luplow at-bats.  Okay with signing Dickerson for a year but no more.  I am also death on bringing McCutchen back.  He is no longer a good major league ballplayer, and likely wouldn't adjust well to being a semi-regular in Pittsburgh. 

Archer will be better than what he has shown in 2019.  I would almost bank on that.  The keys are Taillon and Williams remain close to what they are.  Musgrove has the ability to improve to maybe 3.45ish era.  Nova is Nova.

Frazier will provide another upgrade from an offensive standpoint.  He will bypass Harrison numbers easily.  Defense is the ???  Moustakas is a big time upgrade over Moran from a power and defense standpoint.  That isn't up for debate.  Batting average wise, they are probably very similar.

Agree, no Cutch.

Manager - Jay Bell