Frank Robinson dies.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Frank Robinson dies.

Post by Bobster21 »

123435223424570 wrote: I grew up in an area that was 50% Pirates fans, 50% Orioles fans.  In the late 60's through the 70's, it was fun being a baseball fan in that atmosphere.  Sure, we ribbed each other, but we developed a healthy respect for the "opposition."

My father did a lot of work in Baltimore, and one of his business associates lived next door to Frank Cashen, the GM of the Orioles.  That led to an invite to a bullpen fielding clinic at Memorial Stadium conducted by Brooks Robinson, who brought Frank's bat with him.  Frank was sidelined with double vision at the time, but we were all allowed to take a couple of cuts with Frank's bat.

Today, I can't envision an all star doing something like that, let alone bringing the bat of one of the all time greats for kids to swing.  And kids of today would likely be more schooled in trash talking the opponent that respecting him.

Frank was a great player and a great man.  Rest in peace... 

nice story, thanks for posting

I also was a fan of both the Pirates and Orioles. It's amazing to me how similar Brooks Robinson and Bill Mazeroski are. Both are considered by many to be the best fielder ever at their positions. Both are incredibly talented, pleasant, humble men. Both were highly respected but quiet players who led by example. Both were effective but not great hitters. Brooks was a World Series hero in 1970, Maz in 1960. Brooks was a career. 267 hitter. Maz was .260. Brooks (268 HRs) was the better power hitter but he played at Memorial Stadium where it was 309' to the LF line and 410 to CF. Maz (138 HRs) played at Forbes Field where it was 365' to the LF line and 457' to CF. I believe that if their stadiums had been reversed, their stats would have been reversed.

What Brooks Robinson lacked in vocal leadership, Frank Robinson made up for many times over. Prior to 1966, Brooks was the best player on a good Orioles team. When Frank Robinson arrived in 1966, he turned that good team into a great team. There was never any jealousy. No one was happier than Brooks Robinson for what Frank Robinson brought to that team.