Machado to the Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Machado to the Padres

Post by notes34 »

4362777E467F64776273160 wrote:

The Padres have the best collection of prospects in MLB.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... rm-system/

And they think Machado with his well-deserved reputation for being lazy is the guy to lead them? Repeat with me - albatross contract!
Hey I'm not saying he or anyone else is worth that much money. I was responding to the comments that the Padres won't be good this year or the near future. I disagree, over the next 2-3 seasons their minor league system is going to produce some major talent. He is still a top tier talent whether you or I like him as a person.
UtahPirate

Machado to the Padres

Post by UtahPirate »

424358495F1F182C0 wrote:

The Padres have the best collection of prospects in MLB.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... rm-system/

And they think Machado with his well-deserved reputation for being lazy is the guy to lead them? Repeat with me - albatross contract!
Hey I'm not saying he or anyone else is worth that much money. I was responding to the comments that the Padres won't be good this year or the near future. I disagree, over the next 2-3 seasons their minor league system is going to produce some major talent. He is still a top tier talent whether you or I like him as a person.

I know you're not defending the contract, just making a good point. And yes, I don't like the guy.

It feels so much like the Texas A-Rod contract of 2001 to me for some reason. It's great they have a lot of good prospects, but they'll need his veteran leadership. Which is something I don't think he possesses.

I get the feeling they knew they had lost out on Harper and just spent what they wanted to offer Harper on the "next best thing."
BenM

Machado to the Padres

Post by BenM »

Another possibility is that they are pursuing the NFL model. Where teams are taking advantage of cheap rookie year QB contracts in order to spend more on free agents.

Eric Hosmer is the only player making more than $10 million on the team. In addition to the previously mentioned farm system, they have a forty man filled with cheap pre-arb guys. If some of those guys hit over the next five years, Machado could be a key piece in a winner without breaking the bank.

No guarantees, but I don't think it's an unreasonable gamble.
Bobster21

Machado to the Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

00272C0F420 wrote: Another possibility is that they are pursuing the NFL model. Where teams are taking advantage of cheap rookie year QB contracts in order to spend more on free agents.

Eric Hosmer is the only player making more than $10 million on the team. In addition to the previously mentioned farm system, they have a forty man filled with cheap pre-arb guys. If some of those guys hit over the next five years, Machado could be a key piece in a winner without breaking the bank.

Sounds like the Pirates except SD is not as satisfied with their internal options. :)
Ecbucs

Machado to the Padres

Post by Ecbucs »

0A2D2605480 wrote: Another possibility is that they are pursuing the NFL model. Where teams are taking advantage of cheap rookie year QB contracts in order to spend more on free agents.

I wonder how high the Padres can go with their payroll. I think about $110 million is the highest its been in the past few years. With Chargers gone the Padres don't have much sports competition.