Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by DemDog »

How did Frankie do?
IABucFan

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by IABucFan »

4B7668656A606B496176676160040 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base

There is no way if Kang continues to hit like he did today a lot of the spring that Moran can start over him at 3rd base. Kang is a much better player and can hit a lot more home rund then a guy like Moran will.

I agree if not because of Kang but because of Hayes, no way he can stay at 3rd he proved that last year. Very slow, no power, needs to show he want to be a big leaguer, it's past time. The only thing he does exceptional is grow an exceptionally ugly beard. Kinda looks like he just crawled out from under a bridge.

Umm...I hate being the Debbie Downer here, but ya'all do realize it's February 24 and the second game of Spring Training, right?

Remember, most of these guys are just trying to get their pitches in, stretch their arms out, etc. Especially the first outing of the spring. Heck, remember when Kip Wells gave up a dinger to that kid from Manatee CC back in the day? Richards looks like a decent pitcher. Noesi hasn't pitched in MLB since 2015...fitting that Kang homered off of him, actually.

I'll be surprised if Kang hits his weight during the year with anything more than a dozen bombs. Heck, if he does that, he'll provide more than I'm expecting. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hayes looks like a good prospect, but as we Pirate fans know all too well, lots of guys look like good, can't miss prospects. Great defense, great hitter...sounds a lot like the guy not playing right field the first month and a half of the year for us.

Like I said, not trying to rain on anyone's parade...just being realistic. Moran is the Bucs third baseman. I might let Kang start against lefties, but other than that, if I'm CH, until Kang proves he can still play in real games, with real MLB pitchers, Moran is my guy. If and when Hayes takes the spot from him, great. But that's not happening this ST.
Bobster21

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

7A7271465075525D330 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base

There is no way if Kang continues to hit like he did today a lot of the spring that Moran can start over him at 3rd base. Kang is a much better player and can hit a lot more home rund then a guy like Moran will.

I agree if not because of Kang but because of Hayes, no way he can stay at 3rd he proved that last year.  Very slow, no power, needs to show he want to be a big leaguer, it's past time.  The only thing he does exceptional is grow an exceptionally ugly beard.  Kinda looks like he just crawled out from under a bridge.

Umm...I hate being the Debbie Downer here, but ya'all do realize it's February 24 and the second game of Spring Training, right?

Remember, most of these guys are just trying to get their pitches in, stretch their arms out, etc. Especially the first outing of the spring. Heck, remember when Kip Wells gave up a dinger to that kid from Manatee CC back in the day? Richards looks like a decent pitcher. Noesi hasn't pitched in MLB since 2015...fitting that Kang homered off of him, actually.

I'll be surprised if Kang hits his weight during the year with anything more than a dozen bombs. Heck, if he does that, he'll provide more than I'm expecting. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hayes looks like a good prospect, but as we Pirate fans know all too well, lots of guys look like good, can't miss prospects. Great defense, great hitter...sounds a lot like the guy not playing right field the first month and a half of the year for us.

Like I said, not trying to rain on anyone's parade...just being realistic. Moran is the Bucs third baseman. I might let Kang start against lefties, but other than that, if I'm CH, until Kang proves he can still play in real games, with real MLB pitchers, Moran is my guy. If and when Hayes takes the spot from him, great. But that's not happening this ST.
Fair points. But I think most of us are taking a wait and see attitude with Kang. Here's what we know. There was more disappointment than encouragement last year with Moran. When Kang returned after 2 years away from competitive baseball he was placed all the way down in Bradenton (A+) and many of us wondered if he was in any shape to play at a high level. But he quickly showed he was overqualified for a low grade of baseball. Was then sent to AAA for just 9 games which proved nothing. At least he hit .235 in those 9 games (poor but not Mendoza territory). Then he had a respectable 2 games for the Pirates. So now it's ST and he plays 1 game and does the best anyone could do in 1 game. Hurdle said in ST that Kang showed up in better shape than they have ever seen him. So since his return last year, he seems to be doing as well as could be expected. We'll know by the end of ST if he impresses enough to go north. If he makes the team, I think it will be because he showed the ability to contribute. Which could make him more valuable than Moran. It's too soon to hold a parade for him but so far (since his return last year) the signs have been encouraging.
DemDog

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by DemDog »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base

I agree if not because of Kang but because of Hayes, no way he can stay at 3rd he proved that last year.  Very slow, no power, needs to show he want to be a big leaguer, it's past time.  The only thing he does exceptional is grow an exceptionally ugly beard.  Kinda looks like he just crawled out from under a bridge.

Fair points. But I think most of us are taking a wait and see attitude with Kang. Here's what we know. There was more disappointment than encouragement last year with Moran. When Kang returned after 2 years away from competitive baseball he was placed all the way down in Bradenton (A+) and many of us wondered if he was in any shape to play at a high level. But he quickly showed he was overqualified for a low grade of baseball. Was then sent to AAA for just 9 games which proved nothing. At least he hit .235 in those 9 games (poor but not Mendoza territory). Then he had a respectable 2 games for the Pirates. So now it's ST and he plays 1 game and does the best anyone could do in 1 game. Hurdle said in ST that Kang showed up in better shape than they have ever seen him. So since his return last year, he seems to be doing as well as could be expected. We'll know by the end of ST if he impresses enough to go north. If he makes the team, I think it will be because he showed the ability to contribute. Which could make him more valuable than Moran. It's too soon to hold a parade for him but so far (since his return last year) the signs have been encouraging.

Like you Bobster I am in a wait and see phase. A couple games do not make me so upbeat that I would expect the Bucs to make the playoff this year. IA makes some great points, especially about Kang. As for Hayes, it will all get figured out in AAA this season. We know he can play defense but will he hit and hit with a modicum of power. This is going to be an interesting ST.
OrlandoMerced

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by OrlandoMerced »

If Kang returns to 2016 form, he easily takes the 3B job away from Moran. Kang is only 31, I think this will be like his first full offseason since before the 2015 season. I think the commentary being provided here says more about Moran than Kang. Basically, Kang just needed to show a pulse as he is a much better defender at 3B and his floor is Moran's ceiling at the plate.
dmetz

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by dmetz »

Happy February,

The only thing that's going to stop Kang is potential injury.    He's had his share of those.   

He was ready last year.   He can play all over the infield, if needed.   Good hands, rifle arm.   The ball explodes off his bat.  always has.

My expectation is .280+ 28+ ~.500 slug with strong defense at 3b. IF he can get 500 at bats. He's had a lot of injury trouble.

notes34

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by notes34 »

4D706E636C666D4F6770616766020 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base
Hopefully for another organization.
notes34

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by notes34 »

666F677678020 wrote: Happy February,

The only thing that's going to stop Kang is potential injury.    He's had his share of those.   

He was ready last year.   He can play all over the infield, if needed.   Good hands, rifle arm.   The ball explodes off his bat.  always has.   

My expectation is .280+ 28+ ~.500 slug with strong defense at 3b.   IF he can get 500 at bats.    He's had a lot of injury trouble.   

Agreed on all accounts. The guy can play and at a high level. I think he could easily transition to 1st if Hayes comes up.
notes34

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by notes34 »

292122150326010E600 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base

I couldn't disagree with you more on Moran/Kang. If Kang hits .240 with 15 hr's I would take that over Moran any day of the week. Kang is the superior defender no question, he provides much more than Moran. Moran stinks, he is has no business being a starting 3b anywhere. He has zero athleticism, zero range, and zero power. He will be an empty .270 hitter. I actually like his approach at the plate, but he doesn't have power or speed. A slap hitting 3b with no speed and no power? Pass.
Ecbucs

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by Ecbucs »

60617A6B7D3D3A0E0 wrote: Colin Moran better start practicing at first base

I couldn't disagree with you more on Moran/Kang. If Kang hits .240 with 15 hr's I would take that over Moran any day of the week. Kang is the superior defender no question, he provides much more than Moran. Moran stinks, he is has no business being a starting 3b anywhere. He has zero athleticism, zero range, and zero power. He will be an empty .270 hitter. I actually like his approach at the plate, but he doesn't have power or speed. A slap hitting 3b with no speed and no power? Pass.

and no range on defense. That being said, if he can hit 20 homers and 30 doubles he would be valuable on offense. of course that is about 20 more extra base hits than last year.