O'Neil Cruz at SS

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by DemDog »

I think he will be moved. Reminds me of Polanco, all arms and legs too skinny. If Cruz does fill out I think his athletism might mean a move to the OF. He is a work in progress and I will not say he will stick at SS. Have to wait and see as he moves up in the system.
maher.timothy20@gm

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

6D484B4B5E7548404255270 wrote: Take a look at this swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWn6vlFmBz4

I saw, it was a thing of beauty. But the guy's an athlete, he can play almost anywhere except catcher.
skinnyhorse

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by skinnyhorse »

2F2D373127420 wrote: As the system is structured right now, it pays MLB teams to keep players in the minors until they are over-ready. With the six-year control rule in place, the average player often doesn't hit free agency until he's thirty or more - when stats show he's on the downside of his career. I have to think the players association will look at this in the next contract. I would think if a player were declared a free agent at age 24 if he isn't on the ML roster of a team, a lot of players would get "ready" at a younger age.
Wouldn't it be refreshing for the Pirates to think outside the box and try to get players on the team when they can help bring a championship team rather than doing what everyone else is doing except a few teams like the Cardinals. It's time for new leadership. Pittsburg will never be able to compete with big market teams just doing the same old things. The only way we competed was a once in a lifetime player like Cutch coming along no thanks to NH, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. NH has not shown any ability to judge talent nor coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong but the decision to go with Liriano further shows evidence that he has poor judgement. Liriano has shown he will implode at any moment over the past several years. Why any team would want him at this point in his career is a mystery. Anyone who would trust him in any game shows total lack of judgement.
ScottinMass

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by ScottinMass »

33 errors last year in A ball. I think late season call up is a little premature. He will play the entire year this year at age 20. After this season in Bradenton we should have a good idea where he fits.
Bobster21

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by Bobster21 »

Cruz is listed at 6'6" and 175 lbs. He's expected to fill out and add muscle, which would likely reduced his range for SS. The reports I saw expect him to move to 3B, 1B or OF before too long.
SammyKhalifa

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know if he'll stick at SS or not, but this thing about how "The Org" wouldn't dream of bringing him to MLB from high A . . . how is that a Pirates thing?  I don't know of any team that would do that.  That's just not evidence of the Pirates not doing the right thing, it just isn't.
Bobster21

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by Bobster21 »

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: I don't know if he'll stick at SS or not, but this thing about how "The Org" wouldn't dream of bringing him to MLB from high A . . . how is that a Pirates thing?  I don't know of any team that would do that.  That's just not evidence of the Pirates not doing the right thing, it just isn't.
Agreed. It's very rare for any player to jump from high A to MLB in any organization. Cruz had a great season in low A so it's conceivable he might begin 2019 at Bradenton and finish at Altoona. If that happens he could be on a fast track to MLB if he excels at each level. And by that I mean best case scenario would be to go to AAA ast some point in 2020 and possibly get called up during the 2020 season. But that's assuming he tears it up at every level very quickly.
dmetz

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by dmetz »

Why not keep him at short for now, I think? He won't stay there, but playing short isn't going to hurt his ability to play 3b/1b later.

Definitely should start teaching him how to play 1b though. 6'6" ? 1b/3b or outfield.
SammyKhalifa

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I'd imagine it's much easier to move from Short to another position later as opposed to the other way around
skinnyhorse

O'Neil Cruz at SS

Post by skinnyhorse »

2F2D373127420 wrote: As the system is structured right now, it pays MLB teams to keep players in the minors until they are over-ready. With the six-year control rule in place, the average player often doesn't hit free agency until he's thirty or more - when stats show he's on the downside of his career. I have to think the players association will look at this in the next contract. I would think if a player were declared a free agent at age 24 if he isn't on the ML roster of a team, a lot of players would get "ready" at a younger age.
Wouldn't it be refreshing for the Pirates to think outside the box and try to get players on the team when they can help bring a championship team rather than doing what everyone else is doing except a few teams like the Cardinals. It's time for new leadership. Pittsburg will never be able to compete with big market teams just doing the same old things. The only way we competed was a once in a lifetime player like Cutch coming along no thanks to NH, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. NH has not shown any ability to judge talent nor coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong but the decision to go with Liriano further shows evidence that he has poor judgement. Liriano has shown he will implode at any moment over the past several years. Why any team would want him at this point in his career is a mystery. Anyone who would trust him in any game shows total lack of judgement.