Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2B0E0D0D18330E060413610 wrote: Great team win tonight. Hurdle made all the right calls at the right time.

wait, what?  I thought we weren't allowed to say that.   :D
steve49

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by steve49 »

I think that was the hardest the nightmare has thrown this year ? Think he was going to make sure Gallo didn't get him again ?
MaineBucs

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that today's game is almost ready to get underway, but I didn't have a chance to watch last night's game until after midnight so I am just now getting around to commenting.

1) Last night's win was one of the best of the year. Less last inning comeback drama than on Sunday, but a game that the Pirates, as a team, gutted out and won.

2) I am not a fan of Hurdle's in-game management. That said, I give him credit last night for being willing to readily use nearly all of his available bench and bullpen. He yanked Brault at the right time; Cabrera delivered as a pinch-hitter; nearly everyone in the pen pitched, but they only threw one inning or less so most/all should be available for today's game and a Kingham start; he yanked starting position players in favor of players who are better defensively to try and hold a 5-2 lead; and in doing all of the above, I would not view him as being guilty of over-managing (making moves just to make moves).

3) Vasquez was a beast last night. If he continues to throw that hard they are going to need to recalibrate the radar guns.

4) With the exception of Marte lazily walking to first in the first, and then trying to turn on the jets after he suddenly realized that he should have been standing on second, nearly everyone did what they should have done last night.

The Pirates, particularly with the injuries, do not appear to have the pitching talent or position playing talent to be a good team this year, but at least for last night, they appear to have just enough talent to regularly eek out some wins.

Hoping that Kingham is up to the task today. Five innings and no more than 2 (okay 3) runs.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wouldn't blame him if he can't go five. But because of the timing of how we we had to the same thing last night, another 4 might not be enough.
IABucFan

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by IABucFan »

I've got to believe that Kela is available today. I'd think they would have DL'd him by now, or IL'd or whatever it's called, if he wasn't available.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D5556617752757A140 wrote: I've got to believe that Kela is available today. I'd think they would have DL'd him by now, or IL'd or whatever it's called, if he wasn't available.

[edit]KEONE KELA

RP, PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Keone Kela (shoulder) is still being assessed.

Kela has been unavailable since leaving an appearance Saturday against the Athletics due to discomfort in his right shoulder, but the Pirates have yet to place him on the injured list, so there is obviously some hope that it's a minor issue. The 26-year-old setup man has disappointed to the tune of a 4.63 ERA in 11 2/3 innings this season.

SOURCE: Adam Berry on Twitter[/edit]

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/ ... keone-kela

IABucFan

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by IABucFan »

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: I've got to believe that Kela is available today. I'd think they would have DL'd him by now, or IL'd or whatever it's called, if he wasn't available.

[edit]KEONE KELA

RP, PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Keone Kela (shoulder) is still being assessed.

Kela has been unavailable since leaving an appearance Saturday against the Athletics due to discomfort in his right shoulder, but the Pirates have yet to place him on the injured list, so there is obviously some hope that it's a minor issue. The 26-year-old setup man has disappointed to the tune of a 4.63 ERA in 11 2/3 innings this season.

SOURCE: Adam Berry on Twitter[/edit]

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/ ... keone-kela

Great...I don't get it. The IL is 10 days now. If he doesn't pitch today, that's already four days. If he can't go tomorrow, we're already half way to what he would have been down for had they just IL'd him. Normally, I wouldn't care. But given that this week, you're starting two bullpen guys and basically knowing that you're going to have two BP games, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play a man down in your bullpen.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I'd just backdate him and bring up Rookie Davis or something.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Nick Kingham is doing less than good so far.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Rangers 5/7

Post by Bobster21 »

40727E7E6A587B727F7A7572130 wrote: Nick Kingham is doing less than good so far.
Maybe he needs to get traded to Tampa to find his confidence.