Come On Pirates Do Something

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Surprisingly, the Bucs tv ratings are still very good, though down quite a bit since 2015. It would be helpful for negotiations if the ratings start going up again. Bucs on TV still number one in its time slot. Advertisers like live sports because people can't skip the commercials.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

1528252235332875767F470 wrote: Advertisers like live sports because people can't skip the commercials.

Generally true, although I figured out a trick! I DVR a 7 PM game, and start watching around 7:45, so I can fast forward through commercials. ;D
mouse

Post by mouse »

And I waddle to the kitchen!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

And I sit in my recliner and crochet away to relax and ignore the commercials.
mouse

Post by mouse »

mlbtr has a note this morning that the Cubs met with Harper, speculating they might want to do one of those NBA deals (like the Dodgers just did) where they trade some of their under-performing players for mostly salary assumption. to clear salary space for him. Taking on salary might be akin to taking cod liver oil to NH, but they, in theory, might get a shot at a bounceback candidate that way.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

75776D6B7D180 wrote: mlbtr has a note this morning that the Cubs met with Harper, speculating they might want to do one of those NBA deals (like the Dodgers just did) where they trade some of their under-performing players for mostly salary assumption. to clear salary space for him. Taking on salary might be akin to taking cod liver oil to NH, but they, in theory, might get a shot at a bounceback candidate that way.

They'd have to move Heyward, I can't think of any team that would be willing to take Heyward.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

I think the lack of activity, rumors, etc. shows (again), that the PBC does not and never has really listened to the fans and what they want or what they feel needs to be done to make this team better.

This front office always thinks on their own and right now they must feel they have the team they are comfortable with going into 2019.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I see that the Twins are going to sign Nelson Cruz to a 14 million dollar contract with a 12 million dollar option in 2020 or a buyout. If the Twins can spend money why can’t the Pirates? The Twins are small market like the Pirates. I hope when the CBA expires after the 2021 season there is a strong push for a salary spending floor. This way teams like the Pirates will have to spend to a certain limit, and bring in additional talented players to fill their major league rosters.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5A56570C050C04090E110B3C0 wrote: I see that the Twins are going to sign Nelson Cruz to a 14 million dollar contract with a 12 million dollar option in 2020 or a buyout. If the Twins can spend money why can’t the Pirates?  The Twins are small market like the Pirates. I hope when the CBA expires after the 2021 season there is a strong push for a  salary spending floor. This way teams like the Pirates will have to spend to a certain limit, and bring in additional talented players to fill their major league rosters.

I don't know that a spending floor will have much impact on the Pirates. Its not like a floor will be set at 115 million. The idea wouldn't be to get every team to pay at least that much but to prevent teams from totally tearing down.

If a floor is implemented the Bucs will just say we always spend more than the floor (even if its just a couple million more and 28 teams are spending more than them).
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I too saw that the Twins are signing Cruz. The Pirates lack of activity (signing Lyles doesn't really count) is appalling.

With the exception of being a brother to my brother and my sister, I have been a Pirate fan (nearly 60 years) longer than any other relationship in my life. While it likely is an idle threat on my part (seeing as I have too many Pirate T-Shirts), I really believe that I should be considering divorcing myself from the Bucs.

It's one thing to be outplayed on the field, but not fielding a representative team that has a real chance of competing is really deflating and should not occur with the amount of revenue from baseball operations available to Nutting.

Mr. Nutting - I know nothing of how you choose to operate your newspapers, your ski lodge or any other business that you are in, but in baseball, settling for a shot at a .500 season and mediocrity simply is not acceptable. David Freese must really be smiling that he was shipped off last August to a team that has a real shot at competing.

Shame on you Bob Nutting --- you are the equivalent of a modern day Scrooge. But, unfortunately for Pirate fans, it doesn't appear that any ghosts from Christmas past, present or future are suddenly going to arrive to help you change your evil ways.