Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

No Mas no Mas!
gileszee

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by gileszee »

What an embarrassment. These pitchers of ours are not even competitive. Our Pittsburgh Pirates, a AAAA team.

Spend the money and buy Keuchel, whatever it takes.
Ecbucs

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by Ecbucs »

6866636A7C756A6A0F0 wrote: What an embarrassment.  These pitchers of ours are not even competitive.  Our Pittsburgh Pirates, a AAAA team.

Spend the money and buy Keuchel, whatever it takes.

they may not be competitive but pitching is the strength of the team.
gileszee

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by gileszee »

It has not been a strength most recently. I have issues with the structure of the team. The starting pitching from the first few weeks of the season was not going to be sustained long-term. The left side of the infield should have been addressed through free agency, but was not. Moustakas and Galvis should have been signed. Tucker is not ready.
Bobster21

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by Bobster21 »

5D53565F49405F5F3A0 wrote: It has not been a strength most recently.  I have issues with the structure of the team.  The starting pitching from the first few weeks of the season was not going to be sustained long-term.  The left side of the infield should have been addressed through free agency, but was not.  Moustakas and Galvis should have been signed.  Tucker is not ready.
They never figured on Tucker having to play this year. He was in AA last year and played only 13 AAA games before he was called up. But this team was assembled with fingers crossed. Instead of improving the left side of the infield they took a chance that Kang could be productive at 3B and traded marginal players for a marginal utility infielder to play SS. And this was after the team that vows to build through the draft decided they has spent a #1 pick on Newman to play SS but now felt he couldn't handle it. Similarly, the team that expected its strength to be its starting pitching left themselves woefully thin by hoping Lyles could handle the #5 role and not having anyone else ready to step in if needed. Kingham never showed any signs he could step in and they had to cancel their plans to demote Brault to AAA to put him in the rotation. And there's so little at Indy that they had to bring up Holmes, despite putting up AAA numbers that suggest he should be demoted to AA or released. They also had to bring up Neverauskas, who has always been a liability on the mound, and has quickly compiled an ERA of 37.80 after 3 appearances. But this is how TBMTIB operates. Spending minimal money by making minimal moves and crossing their fingers to hope the questionable players they already have will all experience best case scenarios and perform well above reasonable expectations. No one could have expected all the injuries this season but it reveals how unprepared the organization is to compensate.
Bobster21

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by Bobster21 »

Gee, I'm so glad Hurdle decided not to try very hard to hold a 6-2 lead in the 8th on Wednesday so Crick and Vazquez, who were also off on Monday, could rest in case they were needed on Thursday. So giving away the Wednesday game provided no advantage when neither Crick nor Vazquez were needed in the 17-4 loss on Thursday. Now Crick and Vazquez have not pitched on Monday, Wednesday or Thursday and will probably be used on Friday regardless of the situation just to get some work in. But I don't believe the league will let Hurdle have a "do-over" for needlessly sacrificing Wednesday's game.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I’m with you Bobster I was thinking the exact same thing last when that game was going on last night. Hurdle was so damn concerned about not using Crick or Vazquez in the Rangers game to “rest” them for future games and look how things turned out last night. So you think Hurdle will maybe learn from what happened the last few days but I can guarantee he won’t and if anything he will continue to rest guys even more at the expense of losing a game. Guys like Holmes, Nevershouldpitch, and Hannah Montana have no business being on this roster and in this bullpen right now. I know they are desperate for arms but these guys seriously hurt the team more then they help them.
DemDog

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by DemDog »

As a fan of and partial Season Tix holder of the WV BlackBears in Morgantown I can say that this pitching staff would be hard pressed to keep the kids in SS A ball off the scoreboard. Is it that the Bucs missed on so many young pitchers or is it that Uncle Ray and the team philosophy of how to develop a young pitcher is not really working out?
Bobster21

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by Bobster21 »

4F6E664F646C0B0 wrote: As a fan of and partial Season Tix holder of the WV BlackBears in Morgantown I can say that this pitching staff would be hard pressed to keep the kids in SS A ball off the scoreboard.  Is it that the Bucs missed on so many young pitchers or is it that Uncle Ray and the team philosophy of how to develop a young pitcher is not really working out?
Good question about Searage. He built his reputation on reviving the careers of veterans like Burnett, Liriano, Volquez and Happ. But he hasn't had much success developing younger pitchers with no previous history of success. Morton, Cole and Glasnow became better pitchers after leaving the Pirates. Taillon and Trevor Williams have had success under Searage as has Vazquez. But when it comes to the younger pitchers with no previous history of success, the Pirates don't have many success stories under Searage, and Morton, Cole and Glasnow are now better after leaving than Taillon, Williams and Musgrove are now. So I think the evidence suggests that Searage is not a guru with an uncanny knack for improving pitchers. He hits on a few. He misses on a few. Most come and go without experiencing great success. Probably not much different than most MLB pitching coaches.
MaineBucs

Pirates @ Cards - 5/9

Post by MaineBucs »

After watching last night's game my main take-away is ---

How long until Musgrove ends up on the DL?

While the pain of watching the game was becoming almost unbearable, I don't remember him throwing many real fastballs and he had minimal control.

Musgrove shows real flashes of being a talented pitcher, but he also seems to be one small step away from the DL.