Bucs acquire Kela...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I like the potential of either Crick or Santana to fill that 7th inning role and do it well. I would love for them to make a play for a guy like Archer or Degrom if possible. The fact that Tyler Glasnow has yet to step up and take over one of those starting pitchers spots continues to hurt the Pirates and set them back in the rotation and make them have to continually go look to add a top of the line pitcher.
notes34

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by notes34 »

464F475658220 wrote: Don't be surprised if we sell Vasquez this off-season or sooner.
That was my first reaction too this news also. I certainly wouldn't be opposed if the return is right.
INbuc

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by INbuc »

I like this move...let me count the reasons why:

1. Makes the big league team better now.

2. This is a player, at a position, that can contribute to a win on any day.

3. Sluggers and starting pitchers are expensive and difficult to acquire. The Bucs bartered at a position they know something about.

4. If you track the lineage, we traded Melancon for Vazquez and Hearn. We have now traded Hearn (and player X) for Kela. So potentially we end up with 5 plus years of Vazquez and 3 plus years of Kela for 2 months of Melancon.

There are some bad examples going the other way too, but I do like the optics of this move.
GermanTownship

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by GermanTownship »

Great Deal!! For those opposed to dealing Hearn, in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. Remember, potential only takes you so far in regard to prospects.
SteadyFreddy

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates now have a nice window of position players in the next few years where they have a group of players locked down for the next few years. You got Marte and Polanco in the outfield and either Dickerson or Meadows in the other spot depending if they sign Dickerson. You got Bell at 1st, you got a collection of middle infielders ready in the Minors such as Tucker,Newman or Kramer assuming Jordy doesn’t come back which he probably won’t. You have a solid catching combo with Cervelli and Diaz moving forward, and you have Moran at 3rd for now with a guy Luke Hayes close to coming up and also Kang fitting in somewhere potentially at 2nd if JHay leaves, or at 3rd if Moran can’t play every game. So you combine that with the solid bullpen now, and a decent group I feel of starting pitchers with a guy like Keller on the way that you can build your rotation around. I still think they need an upgrade or two either by trade or through free agency. But the point is here is the next group of players the Pirates currently have in place to potentially make a decent run in the next year or so if everything can work out a certain way.
pghpaulatl

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by pghpaulatl »

Still short on LH pitching in BP and starters. Wish Diekman was added to the trade.
dmetz

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by dmetz »

55544F5E48080F3B0 wrote: Don't be surprised if we sell Vasquez this off-season or sooner.
That was my first reaction too this news also. I certainly wouldn't be opposed if the return is right.

Rosenthal was already on it.  Tweeted that his source says Pirates don't intend to sell Vasquez.   This is a back end bullpen addition. 

The only way I'm against this is if he's hurt and we stupidly didn't check up on it.   He was DLed due to shoulder and has been scored upon I believe each outing since he's returned from DL after ASB.   Otherwise, I'm in.

NH needs to keep going. I want Archer. He's cost controlled for years too.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2D242C3D33490 wrote:

NH needs to keep going.   I want Archer.  He's cost controlled for years too.   

I think I want another 'pen lefty.
Tintin

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by Tintin »

I’d be willing to lazily bet that the PTBNL is Luplow or Frazier.

Clears some of the of glut.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs acquire Kela...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Luplow sounds like a good guess to me.