Buccos @ Braves - 6/10 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The Pirate organization is turning the game of baseball into a complete farce. This isn’t compatible baseball. It’s a complete shame. The leadership of this organization and especially the owner should become the true face of this mess.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

CBS Sports article on Pirates from spring training:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/pira ... offseason/

one excerpt:

Asked "Is payroll not controllable?" Nutting said, "I think payroll scale and range, broadly, is not controllable. We’re going to have certain resources that we have, and I think that that’s the reality of a marketplace."
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E79686C69744B7F686969740D0 wrote: I know it’s a tough deal for McRae to come in like he did after the ridiculous ejection of Musgrove but he still has to do better then giving up 8 runs and 3 homeruns In barely 4 innings pitched. These guys in this bullpen have given the Pirates zero percent chance to win when they are brought into the game. Huntington has to be able to do better then a lot of these guys and If he can’t then he needs to go period. This is flat out inexcusable and embarrassing how bad this bullpen is and the teams ERA in the last 6 weeks or so. Someone in this organization do something to fix it for goodness sake.
I can't fault McRae. He has no business being in MLB. I actually saw him pitch for Bradenton 3 years ago. Since then he's been ineffective in AA and AAA. He pitched twice last year for the Pirates and was very bad in one of those games. He entered today with a 6.75 ERA after being ineffective in all 3 games in which he appeared. It's no surprise he was awful today. He doesn't belong in MLB. That's on NH whose hands are tied by Nutting. I wouldn't even call McRae a AAAA pitcher. He should have washed out already and found his life's work (as Chuck Noll would say). But TBMTIB is on cruise control with no interest in doing anything to improve the roster. It's easier and in line with Nutting's wishes to just sit on the profits and count the money instead of investing in talent. So guys like McRae, Hartlieb, Feliz, Holmes, Rodriguez, DuRapau (and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Neverauskas or Rookie Davis) are thrown to the wolves. TBMTIB clearly is not trying to win so these minor league pitchers in Pirate uniforms don't matter. They make the minimum salary and that's the important thing to Nutting.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5A7D6C686D704F7B6C6D6D70090 wrote: I know it’s a tough deal for McRae to come in like he did after the ridiculous ejection of Musgrove but he still has to do better then giving up 8 runs and 3 homeruns In barely 4 innings pitched. These guys in this bullpen have given the Pirates zero percent chance to win when they are brought into the game. Huntington has to be able to do better then a lot of these guys and If he can’t then he needs to go period. This is flat out inexcusable and embarrassing how bad this bullpen is and the teams ERA in the last 6 weeks or so. Someone in this organization do something to fix it for goodness sake.

Is McRae supposedly good at baseball ? He "has to do better ?" I would think he's just not a ML caliber pitcher and is trying his hardest.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I simply cannot believe where this franchise was in October 2015, and where it is now.

In fall 2015 I actually thought this franchise was on the brink of greatness.

Less than four years later, it is a laughingstock.

The fact that they were willing to go into this season with a grand total of FOUR legitimate MLB caliber starting pitchers is beyond INEXCUSABLE. Because you know there are going to be injuries, and you know there is going to be under-performance.

This team right now is getting what it (or at least the front office) deserves.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5A786B76757077785B6C7A7A76190 wrote: I simply cannot believe where this franchise was in October 2015, and where it is now.

The fact that they were willing to go into this season with a grand total of FOUR legitimate MLB caliber starting pitchers is beyond INEXCUSABLE. Because you know there are going to be injuries, and you know there is going to be under-performance.

The handwriting was on the wall in the offseason following the 98 win, record attendance of 2015 when 1B was handed to John Jaso, Walker was traded for Niese and Vogelsong was acquired to round out the rotation. That was TBMTIB saying "Ok, we had 3 good years and now we're finished trying." They won 20 fewer games in 2016 as 98 wins turned into 78. Now there's not even a pretense of trying.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4E6C7F626164636C4F786E6E620D0 wrote: I simply cannot believe where this franchise was in October 2015, and where it is now.

This is on the owner and the FO leadership. Their pictures should posted for public humiliation. The players don’t deserve this. The only thing missing is Nutting sending them out wearing Washington Generals unis.

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Time to sign Tim Wakefield out of retirement and have him throw knucklers for 63 innings a week
PMike

Post by PMike »

6B495A47444146496A5D4B4B47280 wrote:

I get the frustration, but this just isn't true. Across all of baseball, the Pirates were considered to have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. All 5 guys. Their 6 and 7 starters were neatly in their bullpen in Kingham and Brault. If they needed to go deeper before June, Holmes was the answer. Keller (if he pitched well could be the option after that. No 2019 MLB team could handle these sorts of pitching losses either (other than maybe the Dodgers). And this isn't even mentioning the bullpen injuries.

The Pirates issues are a series of trickle down problems. The injuries to the top 5 have pushed Kingham and Brault into the rotation. Kingham, for whatever reason, wasn't even passable. No one was expecting Kershaw, but I don't think anyone expected this out of Kingham. Then they tried going to "opener" approach. The problem is that they lost key bullpen guys (Kela, Crick, Burdi) to injury and Kingham and Brault to the rotation. All that was left to try and pull off the "opener" thing was people they planned on staying in the minors or doing some mop up innings.

At this point, I feel bad for everyone in the bullpen. They are so over taxed and it's only early June. Every guy has had to pitch extra innings already. Many of them have had to be scapegoated on the mound as McRae has the last two times he's pitched. I think these pitchers need to do better, but it is certainly understandable considering what has happened.

So, some suggest this is all NH, fault. I think it is far fetched that any GM would be able to adequately prepare for the Pirates historic injury issues this year. What was he supposed to do before the season? Who was going to sign to sit in the minors and wait for injuries? Who was going to be a middle relief pitcher waiting for someone to get hurt so they could start? Now that the injuries have happened, who should he be acquiring? He got Stratton (at least a warm body) who promptly got hurt. What is he supposed to do right now?
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

There is no way anybody could have prepared for all these injuries but it still does not excuse Huntington and the Pirates player development people in the Minor Leagues for not being able to acquire better talent from within or sign players who can at least be adaquete or mediocre. I mean they are nowhere close to having anyone be mediocre. This is just a disaster what is going on now that everybody that they throw out there just continues to get bombed night in and night out. There is just no excuse for this bullpen to be this bad even with all these injuries. You want to know what Neal can do draft better, develop players better, make better trades, and try and sign some Major League caliber free agents instead of using Neverauskas or Michael Feliz. If this is the best Neal can do when injuries happen and depth in the Minor League’s is concerned maybe it’s time the Pirates start looking for a new GM.