Would you make this trade with the Yankees?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I read that Frazier is somewhat out of favor in NY anyway. He was having a tough time with his defense and dealing with the media.

Coming to Pittsburgh would be a vacation for him, plus he is young and controllable.

I could see them him and Polanco platoon at this point.

His Away splits are significantly better outside of Yankee Stadium. With basically the same at bats.

His BA is .101 higher

His OBP is .095 higher

His SLG is .225 higher

More RBI's, more HR's, more 2B's

Anyway, I would see what the price is for him for the heck of it.

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I would not trade Dickerson & Melky to make room for a Frazier trade. I’m not very high on Clint Frazier
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm not a fan of trades at the deadline when you are a buyer. It's the absolute worst time to trade. Usually you are chasing a dream of somehow being able to make the wildcard game and you overpay outrageously. NH paid a lot more last year than even a good (but not Ace) Archer would be worth. It didn't propel them to the playoffs and rarely does. It may eventually propel Tampa Bay there. Much better to be a seller at the deadline.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3032282E385D0 wrote: I'm not a fan of trades at the deadline when you are a buyer. It's the absolute worst time to trade. Usually you are chasing a dream of somehow being able to make the wildcard game and you overpay outrageously. NH paid a lot more last year than even a good (but not Ace) Archer would be worth. It didn't propel them to the playoffs and rarely does. It may eventually propel Tampa Bay there. Much better to be a seller at the deadline.

I read an interesting article a few years ago basically saying that the best time to be a buyer at the deadline is when you are already one of the top teams, doubling down to lock down the division or WS appearance or whatever.
mouse

Post by mouse »

It also works if you have salary room and are taking off a contender's hands so they can spend foolishly on the next guy.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

5A7F7C7C69427F777562100 wrote: I would not trade Dickerson &  Melky to make room for a Frazier trade. I’m not very high on Clint Frazier
Nope I wouldn't either.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D0C1706105057630 wrote: I would not trade Dickerson &  Melky to make room for a Frazier trade. I’m not very high on Clint Frazier
Nope I wouldn't either.

yeah, I don't know that I want Frazier but most likely Melky and Dickerson are dealt. Maybe 50-50 chance that Dickerson will stay if Bucs offer him a decent salary for three years.

CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I think Frazier is a good "buy low" candidate. At this point, I would not worry about Melky or Dickerson in relation to acquiring him. If you can get Frazier cheap (lower level prospect or any one of the guys who won't be resigned for next year), grab him. He's the kind of guy who could benefit from a new team and figure out whatever's keeping him from succeeding in MLB so far. He has at least one option. So, you send him to Indy, send Eckstein to work with him, and tell him he'll have a shot at starting next year.

But I would not trade Archer for him. That would be selling at the bottom on Archer.
pghpaulatl

Post by pghpaulatl »

Why do all of you want to trade "salary"? This cheap, carpetbagging owner who is sucking this team dry with his $70M payroll needs to be traded and or booted out of town.

If I stilled lived in Pittsburgh I'd start a movement to get rid of him and flood MLB HQ's with so many phone calls, emails and letters that they would be forced to look at this guy and force him to sell this team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

091E083F2929254A0 wrote: I think Frazier is a good "buy low" candidate.  At this point, I would not worry about Melky or Dickerson in relation to acquiring him.  If you can get Frazier cheap (lower level prospect or any one of the guys who won't be resigned for next year), grab him.  He's the kind of guy who could benefit from a new team and figure out whatever's keeping him from succeeding in MLB so far.  He has at least one option.  So, you send him to Indy, send Eckstein to work with him, and tell him he'll have a shot at starting next year.

But I would not trade Archer for him.  That would be selling at the bottom on Archer.
Gotta disagree on Frazier being a "buy low" candidate. His demotion to AAA only shows what a gluttony of riches the Yankees have. Frazier was hitting .283 with 11 HRs. And just since June 2nd, he's been red hot hitting .333. But on the "money s no object" Yankees (1st place, 44-27), he was just a very good placeholder for Stanton and Judge who are now returning. And if that weren't enough, NY just acquired Edwin Encarnacion. As good as Frazier has been, he would have been relegated to the bench this week and they prefer him playing everyday in AAA to sitting on the Yankees' bench. It's a debatable move but not a sign of inadequacy on the part of Frazier. And it may well be a precursor to trading him but I'm sure they could get more for him than a guy like Dickerson or Cabrera who would be a half season rental prior to free agency and who--like Frazier--would be crowded out by Gardner, Hicks, Stanton, Judge and Encarnacion.