Pirates vs Pad - 6/23 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I turned it off twice. Turned it back on the final time at 10-10 with bases loaded and Frazier. I didn't like that. Hell of an at bat by Newman. We have our SS. This game was nuts. We have a pretty good offense.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

The Padres have owned us at PNC since the park was built. Nice to see us dominate them for once at home. And 4-1 on this homestead was almost a must for us. Good to see the resiliency once again.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What an amazing comeback by the Pirates today to overcome 2 3 run deficits in their last at bats to finish off a sweep of the Padres and finish this stretch of 8 games against the Marlins, Tigers, and Padres at 6-2. Many of us including myself left this team and thus season for dead about 8 o clock Wednesday night when the Pirates we’re down 7-1 to Detroit. But that amazing comeback has now lead to 4 straight wins and it at least continues to give the Pirates a pulse as we head closer to the All Star game in 2 weeks. Just an incredible win today this team has shown a lot of heart and character in a bunch of these comeback wins they have had this year. Hopefully the Tigers game on Wednesday continues to be the turning point this season.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Just saw on MLB Network that the Pirates today became the 3rd team in MLB history and the first since 1930 (89 years ago!) to rally from 3-run deficits in the 9th inning AND extra innings to win a game. That is incredible.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This 4-1 homestand was absolutely critical ... because the next 26 games are probably going to be an absolute nightmare.

It's pretty much all Astros, Brewers, Cubs, Cards for the next month.

I don't like our chances.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree Carolina it was very important to have a good last 8 games against the Marlins Tigers and Padres because that was the only break in the schedule the Pirates are going to get in the next month. I wanted them to go 7-1 in this stretch and they easily could have and probably should have but I’ll live with them going 6-2 as well seeing that they picked up almost 4 full games in the wildcard standings this last week winning 6 of 8 while a lot of the teams in front of them really really struggled this week, They are now just 3.5 games out of a wildcard spot despite still being 4 games under .500. I’m with you as well Carolina that this next stretch coming up these next 25 games or so is gonna he brutal. I at least want to see the Pirates survive this 6 game road trip to both Houston and Milwaukee this week. I think they gotta at least try and go 3-3 somehow which is going to be very tough to do but they almost have too. You can’t have something like a 1-5 road trip like the last 10 game road trip where they went 2-8 and lost 7 in a row which was a killer.

You gotta at least keep your head above water seeing that starting next Monday from July 1st until July 25th the Pirates will play 14 of their next 20 games at PNC Park where hopefully they can start playing better baseball and win a lot of these home games they have coming up. Last year in early to mid July this team won 11 games in a row so again you just never know what can happen and just gotta play it out and take things one day a time and who knows where you will be in another month from now in mid to late July.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Great win but Liriano can no longer be consideration reliable. In his last 8 innings, he's given up 8 ERs.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t like what Hurdle is doing with the rotation this week in Houston giving Musgrove and extra day of rest and pitching him on Thursday and not naming a starter yet for Wednesday. Since Lyles pitches yesterday in AAA and looked good why not just go with Williams, Musgrove, and Archer in Houston, and then in Milwaukee go either Brault Lyles or Lyles Brault Friday/Saturday and then go back to Williams on Sunday to close out the Brewers series. I just don’t get what the plan is here with the rotation when this clearly makes the most sense moving forward.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I thought Hurdle’s comments yesterday after the game saying the team wouldn’t have felt any different had they won or lost that game was completely idiotic. He stated momentum didn’t mean anything going into Houston either had they won or lost. I completely disagree with this and I thought had they lost the game yesterday it would have left a sour taste in the teams mouth going to play a good Astros team. Instead you finish off a great comeback and win 6 of 8 to get back into things and Hurdle acts like it means nothing. It’s like Bobster says a lot of the time Hurdle just doesn’t seem to put winning first and quotes like this leave a lot to be desired and make you even more frustrated with Hurdle and his approach everyday of how he manages.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F58494D48556A5E494848552C0 wrote: I don’t like what Hurdle is doing with the rotation this week in Houston giving Musgrove and extra day of rest and pitching him on Thursday and not naming a starter yet for Wednesday. Since Lyles pitches yesterday in AAA and looked good why not just go with Williams, Musgrove, and Archer in Houston, and then in Milwaukee go either Brault Lyles or Lyles Brault Friday/Saturday and then go back to Williams on Sunday to close out the Brewers series. I just don’t get what the plan is here with the rotation when this clearly makes the most sense moving forward.
This sounds like one of those moves they make based on their analytical studies. You know, the ones where they don't try too hard to win because they're too darned smart for that. Musgrove pitched less than an inning on 6/10 and came back 3 days later against a very good hitting Braves team and got blasted. He next pitched 8 days later against Detroit, arguably the worst hitting team in MLB, and pitched great. So TBMTIB studies their charts and discovers that Musgrove pitches better against bad teams with more rest. Meanwhile, they'll throw somebody to the wolves on Wednesday and take a loss because giving Musgrove and extra day will make a very good hitting Houston team resemble Detroit more than Atlanta.