Two Future Roster Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by MaineBucs »

At this point, the Pirates cannot lose Stallings. Cervelli may come back from the IL and rehab, but for how long?

I know that Cervelli is popular and that he is still owed a bunch of money, but I would prefer that the team either offer him in a trade; let's say the Bucs absorb all but $750,000 to $1 mil of his remaining salary and expect little in return, or they simply release him. Cervelli has no future in Pittsburgh and has shown little to nothing this year. While Diaz has significant shortcomings, at present, he is the heir apparent at the position, and Stallings should be the reserve.

With respect to Gonzalez vs. Kang, I would recall Gonzalez and make it clear to him that he is the reserve infielder. He should be able to get 2 starts/week between replacing Frazier and Newman once in a while. While Kang has more versatility, Osuna has provided some value on the bench and should stay. Kang was a low-cost gamble, but his hitting just hasn't returned. He may yet be a productive major league player, but he appears to need more time playing at AAA and in the winter leagues to try and get a more consistent stroke down.

So --- what would I do? Either trade or release Cervelli and keep Stallings, and either trade (unlikely) or release Kang, call up Gonzalez and keep Osuna in the majors.

What do I expect the Pirates to do? 1) Recall Cervelli, give him some immediate starts, and find a phantom injury for Stallings for a while until Cervelli's next injury. 2) Keep Kang, recall Gonzalez and (depending on the status of Polanco's injury), either option Mason (if Polanco is still hurt) or Osuna (if Polanco has returned) to AAA.

Baseball can be a cruel sport for veteran players who cannot perform as well as they once did because of injuries and the compounding effect of being older. However, while Cervelli was out, Diaz and Stallings have demonstrated that they are the better options. The Bucs should simply acknowledge the cruelty of the game and go with the better current options. Same is true with Kang. Kang was a beast before the injury he sustained from the slide, and then his personal problems exacerbated his difficulties.
Bobster21

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

7B7F7740564673545B350 wrote: Wow, I almost forgot about Gonzalez. With the emergence of Newman, what role does he even have at this point? Even with Kang's struggles so far, I think I'd prefer him to Gonzalez as a utility piece, and agreed that you don't want to lose Osuna.
The Gonzalez trade bothers me on several levels.

1. After using a 1st round pick on Newman they decided over the winter, based on a SSS last year, that he was not adequate to be a starting SS.

2. They decided that Gonzalez, regarded by the Indians as a utility player, was a better option to start at SS. Gonzalez was supposed to be a good fielder. They then admitted in ST that his fielding was erratic.

3. To acquire Gonzalez they traded Luplow who now has 9 HRs for Cleveland.

4. They now realize Newman is indeed an adequate starting SS and they didn't need Gonzalez.

5. Luplow was a surplus OFer and was expendable but could have been used in a trade for someone the Pirates actually needed.

So it looks like they did a poor job of assessing what they had in Newman as well as a poor job of assessing what they were getting in Gonzalez. The Indians are pleased with Luplow and the Pirates have to figure out what to do with Gonzalez.
ScottinMass

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by ScottinMass »

I believe both Kang and Gonzalez have options.

Kang should be an easy choice to go down. Where will Gonzalez play if he goes down? Not SS over Tucker.
DemDog

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by DemDog »

0838342F2F3235163A28285B0 wrote: I believe both Kang and Gonzalez have options.

Kang should be an easy choice to go down. Where will Gonzalez play if he goes down? Not SS over Tucker.

Kang was signed as a FA over the winter so I doubt he has any options left. Gonzalez has no options left so he was traded by Cleveland to the Bucs who wanted him in MLB rather than MiLB. So if we want to get rid of either one they must go through waivers who knows what will happen with them. In either case, I see no lose with either one of them.
SCBucco

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by SCBucco »

393B212731540 wrote: You have to wonder if they aren't pursuing trades for Gonzalez (and perhaps others) right now.

I wondered that myself the day the move was made.
fjk090852-7

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7666675046464A250 wrote: You have to wonder if they aren't pursuing trades for Gonzalez (and perhaps others) right now.

I wondered that myself the day the move was made.
These remaining games before the All Star Break will determine if they are sellers or buyers at the deadline. If they are 6 games under .500, players such as Melky or Liriano could be trade candidates.