Robo Umps

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Robo Umps

Post by Ecbucs »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: Even with the catcher having an earpiece he would not get the call any quicker than the ump.
very true but you'd be cutting out one step at least.

I think I'm the only person totally indifferent on the robo ump issue.  Yeah it would be nice to have calls right but at the same time complaining about calls is a tradition as old as the game.  I'm good either way.

I'm still willing to complain about robo umps. (and I bet I'm not alone).
Ecbucs

Robo Umps

Post by Ecbucs »

0F29283F29394A0 wrote: Even with the catcher having an earpiece he would not get the call any quicker than the ump.
very true but you'd be cutting out one step at least.

I think I'm the only person totally indifferent on the robo ump issue.  Yeah it would be nice to have calls right but at the same time complaining about calls is a tradition as old as the game.  I'm good either way.

I'm still willing to complain about robo umps. (and I bet I'm not alone).

there is an interesting post with lots of images of the bad calls made in the first part of the season. One thing I found interesting is that the video of what was the worst call (based on robo strike zone) didn't look that bad to me on video.
dmetz

Robo Umps

Post by dmetz »

with electronic strike zone, the catcher pretty much already knows if it's a strike or a ball before it even hits his mit. 

He's not going to get a call or get screwed.  The catcher doesn't really have to worry about it anymore.  He doesn't have to worry about, perhaps, holding his crouch a split second longer if it's a strike so the ump can see it.  he doesn't have to worry about pre-throw footwork making a strike look like a ball.   9 out of 10 times the catcher should know what the call is before he catches it with laser computerized strikezone. only very borderline pitches are going to be a toss-up.    

I'm not sure why they need a guy in the booth for this concept anyway.  they can put a red light/green light somewhere near the batters eye or off-center.   instantaneous Red for strike or Green for ball.  that could give the catcher a faster call than an umpire anyway.   I don't see any point to having a delay in the call.    It's a silly concept, really.

Lets make a computer because it's much more accurate, then lets use a human who is much slower and less accurate to review the computers decision. 

Red light on the board, ump calls "STRIKE"   green light "Ball".   
IABucFan

Robo Umps

Post by IABucFan »

Works for me. Except, as someone who is red/green colorblind, I wish we’d use different colors, colors that contrast more with each other, like black and white.