Pirates vs. Phillies - 7/21 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6463757D7364232F56717B777F7A3875797B160 wrote: And Philly takes advantage with a solo HR top of the 11th.

scored 7 runs in a 3 games series. Lucky to get one win.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

And both Stallings and Moran stare at strike 3.

I’m flying back to Cali totally pissed!
BenM

Post by BenM »

How many baserunners got thrown out trying to aggressively advance/stretch? I remember Marte and Newman, but it felt like a lot more.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The two losses this week in both series finales with the Cards and today’s game with the Phillies were just absolute killers and games you absolutely have to win if you’re the Pirates especially the game today. This season hasn’t totally slipped away yet but it’s on the verge now of doing so. Going 2-7 in these first 9 games after the break has just destroyed any kind of good feeling or excitement around this team especially seeing how well they were playing before the break. It’s so frustrating to watch this team under Hurdle continue to lose so many games they should be winning.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates once again now are at a point where they are going to have to start winning games and series and they better start doing it here real soon or this season is going to over as far as playing any meaningful games in both August and September goes. The Pirates next 13 games consist of 4 games against the Cards, 6 games with the Mets home and away, and 3 games at Cincinnati.

The Pirates pretty much need to go something like 9-4 in those 13 games which would still put them only at 55-56 and a game under .500 but at least if they can do that it will probably still at least keep them relevant in the standings and wildcard race. But it’s gotta happen right now in this next stretch with the little break in

the schedule playing both the Mets and Reds a lot because time is starting to run out on them. This 2-7 stretch after the break so far has put them in a position where they are right on the brink of completely falling out of contention. So they gotta turn it around and turn it around fast or it’s simply gonna be too late.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

123524202538073324252538410 wrote: The Pirates once again now are at a point where they are going to have to start winning games and series and they better start doing it here real soon or this season is going to over as far as playing any meaningful games in both August and September goes. The Pirates next 13 games consist of 4 games against the Cards, 6 games with the Mets home and away, and 3 games at Cincinnati.

The Pirates pretty much need to go something like 9-4 in those 13 games which would still put them only at 55-56 and a game under .500 but at least if they can do that it will probably still at least keep them relevant in the standings and wildcard race. But it’s gotta happen right now in this next stretch with the little break in

the schedule playing both the Mets and Reds a lot because time is starting to run out on them. This 2-7 stretch after the break so far has put them in a position where they are right on the brink of completely falling out of contention. So they gotta turn it around and turn it around fast or it’s simply gonna be too late.

if the Bucs don't beat the Mets and Reds both could pass the Bucs in the wild card race.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C4A4B5C4A5A290 wrote: The Pirates once again now are at a point where they are going to have to start winning games and series and they better start doing it here real soon or this season is going to over as far as playing any meaningful games in both August and September goes. The Pirates next 13 games consist of 4 games against the Cards, 6 games with the Mets home and away, and 3 games at Cincinnati.

if the Bucs don't beat the Mets and Reds both could pass the Bucs in the wild card race.
Realistically, the Pirates are no more in the WC race than you or I are. They are 6 games under .500, behind 7 other teams just for the 2nd WC spot and lack the starting rotation or bullpen to pass those 7 teams. We can look at every upcoming series and say what they need to do but the chances of them doing it are remote and even if they did, they would still need 7 other teams to falter badly. And if all that doesn't transpire in the next 10 days, they will sell off pieces of the team who are productive and will further reduce the team's chances going forward. This team is going nowhere.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: The Pirates once again now are at a point where they are going to have to start winning games and series and they better start doing it here real soon or this season is going to over as far as playing any meaningful games in both August and September goes. The Pirates next 13 games consist of 4 games against the Cards, 6 games with the Mets home and away, and 3 games at Cincinnati.

Realistically, the Pirates are no more in the WC race than you or I are. They are 6 games under .500, behind 7 other teams just for the 2nd WC spot and lack the starting rotation or bullpen to pass those 7 teams. We can look at every upcoming series and say what they need to do but the chances of them doing it are remote and even if they did, they would still need 7 other teams to falter badly. And if all that doesn't transpire in the next 10 days, they will sell off pieces of the team who are productive and will further reduce the team's chances going forward. This team is going nowhere. 

Sad but very true. This team has a solid offensive core. They SHOULD resign Melky. Perhaps offer up a Dickerson or Polanco for at a minimum some bullpen help. Put Keller in the starting rotation. Write this year off to injuries and invest in some SP in the offseason. Do not be tempted to trade Vazquez. You will never get a closer of his caliber at such a team friendly extension.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would expect minor pruning, nothing serious on the trade front. I like Melky and would like to see him resigned, but doubt very much that happens. I suspect he goes, along with Dickerson, Lyles, maybe Kang. A trade of Vazquez would only happen as part of a total rebuild, and they feel close enough now not to go down that road.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This season is likely going to limp to its conclusion; a sub 500 record and more disappointments compared to excitement.

That said, this season has yielded some unexpected performances; particularly Newman and Reynolds, who could be building blocks moving forward. While no one should have expected Bell's super-human performance over the first 3 months to continue, he is no longer driving the ball like he did earlier in the year and the extent of his drop-off is somewhat troubling.

So --- the Bucs likely have only 2 or 3 big trade chips that could pique the interest of competing teams and yield a real return: 1) Vasquez, 2) Marte and 3) the unthinkable, take offers on Bell.

Clearly, both Vasquez and Marte would attract real interest, but I get the hesitancy to move either or both, particularly Vasquez. Bell, however, could be a real prize with his years of control and performance. What would Bell command on the open market?

Now that my head has returned from the clouds, more realistically, I believe the Bucs should consider the following:

1) See if there is interest in Frazier. The Bucs have infield options for next year.

2) Dickerson's hitting has picked up a bit. See if there is interest in Dickerson. Reynolds would be the LF'er next year with Polanco in right (Polanco has no trade value this year).

3) Pursue a trade of Cabrera. Teams may offer something for a good hitter and PH who is signed to a cheap contract. Cabrera is not a building block and may not be worth the contract bump that he would earn next year by resigning with the Pirates.

4) See what type of interest there is in Moran. Moran has been a good hitter this year. Bucs can consider this move because of Hayes, and because Osuna can help out. I don't believe Kang has any value in trade or really any value going forward.

5) Shop Liriano, Rodriguez and Crick. Relievers are always in demand this time of year. You don't need to trade Rodriguez or Crick, but you should find out what they are worth.

6) Shop Lyles because he is on a 1 year contract. Someone may like his versatility as both a starter and reliever.

I see no reason in trying to move Archer or Williams whose value are likely at an all-time low, and I would propose keeping the inconsistent Musgrove who has the makings of someone who could become more consistent.

Oh well, in the next week or so the real question likely will be how much time I should devote to watching the Bucs the rest of this year on the tube. Sure wish it was different, but winning often appears to be an after-thought.