Game Thread 7-31 Trade Deadline!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

6A5854544072515855505F58390 wrote: Jon Morosi

The #Dodgers and #Pirates are engaged in a staring contest over Felipe Vázquez, at this moment, that will possibly determine the outcome of the World Series.

Sounds like the Dodgers have a lot more to lose than the last place Bucs.
Yeah, if you're the Dodgers you have to do it in that light, correct?  And if you're the Pirates you have no reason to trade for less than you want.

If NH does nothing this trade deadline (other than trading expiring contracts) I may finally be done with him (yeah, I know many of you already are done with him). This team needs some attention and it needs some boldness at this moment. Holding firm is not a good move. The minor league system is thin and the MLB team has holes. He can fix one of those things today.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: Jon Morosi

The #Dodgers and #Pirates are engaged in a staring contest over Felipe Vázquez, at this moment, that will possibly determine the outcome of the World Series.

Sounds like the Dodgers have a lot more to lose than the last place Bucs.
Yeah, if you're the Dodgers you have to do it in that light, correct?  And if you're the Pirates you have no reason to trade for less than you want.

If NH was asking for Ruiz and May and the Dodgers said no, that is all on them. They already chose Will Smith over Ruiz for starters. I hope the LADs blow it.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Well, that was anticlimactic. Lyles and Dickerson out and the Bucs get international money, a PTBML and a twenty five year old AA reliever prospect.

(Not that the two of them were going to bring a whole lot back.)
PMike

Post by PMike »

1E3932115C0 wrote: Well, that was anticlimactic. Lyles and Dickerson out and the Bucs get international money, a PTBML and a twenty five year old AA reliever prospect.

I am really disappointed. This seemed like a really clear moment to replenish the minor league system. They had the biggest chip on the trade market and sat on it. They aren't competing this year and it looks unlikely for next year. They did less then when they've been on the bubble.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

65785C5E50350 wrote: Well, that was anticlimactic. Lyles and Dickerson out and the Bucs get international money, a PTBML and a twenty five year old AA reliever prospect.

I am really disappointed.  This seemed like a really clear moment to replenish the minor league system.  They had the biggest chip on the trade market and sat on it.  They aren't competing this year and it looks unlikely for next year.  They did less then when they've been on the bubble.

Neal is supposed to be on radio soon. I don't understand why they still have Melky. This deadline was a failed opportunity.
PMike

Post by PMike »

And the Dodgers got their lefty guy. They gave up a solid prospect for him. What could have been...

"The Dodgers have acquired lefty Adam Kolarek, as first reported by ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan (Twitter link). Niko Hulsizer is heading to the Tampa Bay organization, as Robert Murray of The Athletic first tweeted.

Kolarek, 30, has seen action in each of the past three seasons. He’s through 43 1/3 innings of 3.95 ERA ball this year, with 7.5 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 along with a big 64.3% groundball rate. Kolarek ought to represent a lefty-on-lefty option for the Dodgers. He has held eighty opposing southpaw hitters to a meager .187/.238/.293 batting line this year.

Hulsizer is a 22-year-old outfielder and 2018 18th-round draft pick. He’s showing well to open his professional career. After a strong start to the season at Class A, Hulsizer has slashed .259/.327/.506 in 98 plate appearances at the High-A level, though he has already compiled 33 strikeout as well."
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Good for NH for not caving to the Dodgers. We shall see how things turn out for the Dodgers as the season winds down. By not trading "Nightmare" now NH can shop him around all of MLB for the offer he can't refuse.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

25040C250E06610 wrote: Good for NH for not caving to the Dodgers.  We shall see how things turn out for the Dodgers as the season winds down.  By not trading "Nightmare" now NH can shop him around all of MLB for the offer he can't refuse.
I too am glad that Neal held his ground in this trade. We may never know what the Dodgers were proposing to the Bucs, but if they were not offering a couple of their top three prospects there was no reason to make the trade. If the Bucs had accepted lower ranked prospects, everyone would have been upset for getting fleeced. Vasquez is under contract for 4 years, and that as well as his success surely is worth high end prospects.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

416766716777040 wrote: Well, that was anticlimactic. Lyles and Dickerson out and the Bucs get international money, a PTBML and a twenty five year old AA reliever prospect.

I am really disappointed.  This seemed like a really clear moment to replenish the minor league system.  They had the biggest chip on the trade market and sat on it.  They aren't competing this year and it looks unlikely for next year.  They did less then when they've been on the bubble.

Neal is supposed to be on radio soon.  I don't understand why they still have Melky.  This deadline was a failed opportunity.

or Liriano, or Kang, or ...
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I am disappointed and thoroughly disgusted. A few reasons I can think of why NH made so few moves are:

1) Management is petrified of losing 100 games this year and decided to hang onto all of the 'better' relievers to lessen the likelihood of such occurring.

2) NH was unhappy with the returns being offered for the likes of Liriano, Crick, and Rodriguez, all of whom are signed to small contracts for the remainder of the year, thus he chose to hang onto them. That said, with so many relievers being moved, why is Liriano, who will be a free agent at the end of the year, still a Pirate.

3) Although we don't know who is the PTBNL for Dickerson, I doubt it is anyone who is the equivalent of Baz who was the extra piece in last year's Archer deal. Dickerson didn't attract a lot of interest when he was a free agent after TB cut him loose, but with the Indians, Braves, Phillies and others needing outfield help, it is surprising he didn't attract more interest now. If the return is only some bonus pool money and a non-descript player to be named later, this is a very underwhelming move. So --- my theory, Nutting identified a salary target that NH had to meet, and when he moved Lyles and Dickerson and took on no new salary commitments, he met the target, thus, he was no longer 'under orders' to make another deal.

4) Cabrera has been a good addition to the Pirates. But, as a professional hitter, he should have been able to command something on the market.

5) NH forgot that the trade deadline this year really is the trade deadline; no more waiver wire moves. :)

6) With respect to Vasquez, if the Dodgers were not willing to meet the Pirate's demand for talent, then this is one of the few non-moves that is good. Even though the season is tanking and Vasquez is pitching less and less, hopefully he continues to perform well through the end of the year and to open the door to better trade options this off-season.

7) Hurdle has already complained about the number of new players he has had to interact with and use in games this year, particularly pitchers, and asked NH to go easy on him with the number of new players after the trade deadline. :)

In short, the trade deadline is one of those few opportunities where all potential contenders are shopping. The Bucs were not going to build their next 'good' team on the backs of trading folks like Liriano, Crick, Lyles, Cabrera and Dickerson, but building depth in the system is not necessarily a bad thing. I expected more from a team that is in the depths of a losing season and I am really disappointed.