I Am Embarrassed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

I Am Embarrassed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I appreciate all the great comments. I will always be a Pirate fan, but it has sure become very difficult to follow this team. I would be elated if Nutting would sell the team, or inform the media he is adding more investors to the ownership group in order that additional funds would be used for player payroll.
Ecbucs

I Am Embarrassed

Post by Ecbucs »

3A36376C656C64696E716B5C0 wrote: I appreciate all the great comments. I will always be a Pirate fan, but it has sure become very difficult to follow this team. I would be elated if Nutting would sell the team, or inform the media he is adding more investors to the ownership group in order that additional funds would be used for player payroll.

I don't think additional investors are necessary. Nutting just has to decide to put more of revenue back into the mlb payroll. I know Forbes isn't the be all and end all but it's numbers sure seem to show that the Bucs could have a higher payroll and wouldn't operate at a deficit.

PMike

I Am Embarrassed

Post by PMike »

072120372131420 wrote: I appreciate all the great comments. I will always be a Pirate fan, but it has sure become very difficult to follow this team. I would be elated if Nutting would sell the team, or inform the media he is adding more investors to the ownership group in order that additional funds would be used for player payroll.

I don't think additional investors are necessary.  Nutting just has to decide to put more of revenue back into the mlb payroll.  I know Forbes isn't the be all and end all but it's numbers sure seem to show that the Bucs could have a higher payroll and wouldn't operate at a deficit. 

I agree with that. Tim (from PP) has argued that they need to be able to allocate extra funds in certain years when they are in a position to win. Then go cheap in the rebuilding years. I think that is the right approach as well.
Ecbucs

I Am Embarrassed

Post by Ecbucs »

6D705456583D0 wrote: I appreciate all the great comments. I will always be a Pirate fan, but it has sure become very difficult to follow this team. I would be elated if Nutting would sell the team, or inform the media he is adding more investors to the ownership group in order that additional funds would be used for player payroll.

I don't think additional investors are necessary.  Nutting just has to decide to put more of revenue back into the mlb payroll.  I know Forbes isn't the be all and end all but it's numbers sure seem to show that the Bucs could have a higher payroll and wouldn't operate at a deficit. 

I agree with that.  Tim (from PP) has argued that they need to be able to allocate extra funds in certain years when they are in a position to win.  Then go cheap in the rebuilding years.  I think that is the right approach as well.
yes, that approach is a no brainer for a team that can't spend like the Yankees. Its what the Twins, Indians, Royals do.

I guess in Pirate management's view they do this too but they just cap the payroll at 110 or 108 or whatever. They should still be able to go 10 15 million more than what they have spent so far.
mouse

I Am Embarrassed

Post by mouse »

How has attendance been this year as opposed to prior years. I wonder at times if a bad record verses a really bad record makes any difference. Not that Nutting seems much influenced by that sort of issue.
DemDog

I Am Embarrassed

Post by DemDog »

627F5B5957320 wrote: I'm with INbuc and Ben.  I wear my Pirates stuff with pride.  I stuck with them through 20 years of losing.  This is no problem.  My love for the Pirates is much bigger than Nutting or losing.  In particular, my 10 year old has become absolutely obsessed with the Pirates this summer.  He doesn't mind the losing.  He just loves baseball and loves them.  It is so easy to be into the Pirates even now with him.  His love for this game and the Pirates is infectious.  Bob Nutting will not ruin that.

Besides, I don't want to have to fight people for a spot on the bandwagon when they win again.   ;D

Wow! I am so excited for you and your 10 yr old. That was the same age that my dad took me to my first game and I have been hooked on the Bucs since. I've been through some really bad times as well as seeing 3 WS titles. I still have my 1960 Pirate yearbook and a ticket stub from one of the games of the 60 series. I have many fond memories of Roberto playing RF, Maz & Groat at the keystone positions, Pops Stargell and his prodigious HRs just to name a few. I have been to Buc games for 60 consecutive years a streak that will end this season. Even with the ending of my streak I still wear my Pirates gear with pride because they are my team and always will be. I forgot to mention I hope you and your son can bond over the Pirates just like my late father and I did.
BenM

I Am Embarrassed

Post by BenM »

5052484E583D0 wrote: How has attendance been this year as opposed to prior years. I wonder at times if a bad record verses a really bad record makes any difference. Not that Nutting seems much influenced by that sort of issue.

It's up about a thousand a game from last year. My guess is a lot of that is front loaded because of the strong finish last year.

It's down about 4,000 from 2017 and 11,000 from 2015.
SteadyFreddy

I Am Embarrassed

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1E3932115C0 wrote: How has attendance been this year as opposed to prior years. I wonder at times if a bad record verses a really bad record makes any difference. Not that Nutting seems much influenced by that sort of issue.

It's up about a thousand a game from last year. My guess is a lot of that is front loaded because of the strong finish last year.

It's down about 4,000 from 2017 and 11,000 from 2015. The attendance I feel is really gonna suffer in September when this team is 30 games under .500. I think that 1,000 up number from last season will slowly begin to shrink and it’s gonna get worse going into next season because they are gonna have nothing to sell this team on going into next season seeing how bad things have gotten recently. Which is why changes need to be made at seasons end and they might not have a choice.
mouse

I Am Embarrassed

Post by mouse »

I'm surprised it's up at all, but do agree - all the team has to sell is hope, in one form or another, and right now there's not much of that on any front.

As a passing note on the main theme of this thread, I saw someone at lunch wearing a Pirates shirt so made a point of saying, "Go Bucs." We commiserated a bit about last night's game.