Pirates vs. Marlins - 9/3 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

Is it my imagination, or is Cora too aggressive at sending runners?

And isn't that part of the reason why his predecessor, Sofield, lost his job?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1B373F383314233525560 wrote: So much for the 'feel good' moment of an 8-2 run in the last 10 games. 

Bucs played like they were still on Rocky Mountain time and had limited oxygen. 

Cora's decision in the 9th was abysmal.   Not even close at home.  The only rationale I could think of is that he thought Bell (and his nonexistent arm) was playing first.   

All closer's lose one now and then, but it would have been nice to see Vasquez close this one down with 2 outs in the 9th.

Then again, the dogs at the park likely enjoyed their night out with their owners.

Lastly, am I the only one who is annoyed by the Bucs showing taped clips of interviews with players while the game if being played.  Moran really smacked a ball to CF early in the game that was caught, but the TV barely showed it and the announcers made little mention of such.    
I also find it annoying. But it seems to be part of an overall strategy to market the games to the casual fans rather than those who are very interested in the outcome of the game. I know they've had Twitter Tuesdays. They have these in-game taped interviews about the player's favorite food, etc. On Fridays they highlight local bands. And while Greg Brown is more focused on the game, Joe Block maintains a friendly, casual chatter and laughter throughout the game of topics mostly unrelated to the action on the field. Just as the Pirates brass prides itself on its statistical analysis, I suspect they have done studies and concluded that the team's generally poor performance from year to year requires a broadcast strategy that supplements the action on the field with unrelated issues that those not so concerned about the game might enjoy. As a hardcore fan of the Pirates and of baseball itself, that stuff detracts from my enjoyment of the game. But to be fair, I suspect that as a marketing strategy for a team that's usually barely (if at all) competitive, it might be a sound approach even if people like me don't appreciate it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think Block needs to end up like Kent Derdevanus who was also a former Brewer broadcaster. Kent only lasted 3 yrs before he was gone.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Any word on Martin's injury?