Pirate - Mariner Trade Rumor

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

09282009222A4D0 wrote: Pretty strong likelihood that there will be a King Felix for Swaggerty , Mason Martin deal soon.

Oh BTW .. I saw on twitter that Baz was hitting 101 late in his last start. Also known for a super good curve. This could "tilt" the Archer deal a bit toward Tampa Bay ? Might end up to be worse than the Brock and F Robinson deals ? I think the selling of Babe Ruth is safe but not sure about the rest.

Aw, come on Steve!  Even TBMTIBB would not be stupid enough to make that deal!  The King has arm trouble, will be a FA at the end of the season, has 5 & 10 trade rights. 

OK Possum , ya got me .
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2423322132636E570 wrote: When that trade went down I felt like Meadows and Glasnow for Archer was a fair deal.

And even though Archer has been terrible, in hindsight I still think it was a fair and reasonable trade at the time.

But when I heard that Baz was the PTBNL throw-in, I about lost my mind.

PTBNLs are NOT first-round draft picks who throw 100 mph and who are pitching for PITCHING STARVED franchises. You don't just throw those guys in.

I am still furious about it, as you can probably tell.

If you look back at the posts right after the trade , I took some ridicule as I hated it even before Baz was announced as the 3rd player. I did glance back and see that I was offering to bet by the end of 2019 , Glasnow would be a better pitcher than Archer. I did want like 8-5 odds but I put it out there and didn't get any takers. I guess I need to get over it but I can't seem to do it.

We'll get over it about nine years from now when Baz is on the verge of being traded in a deadline deal to the Dodgers.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A4241766045626D030 wrote: When that trade went down I felt like Meadows and Glasnow for Archer was a fair deal.

And even though Archer has been terrible, in hindsight I still think it was a fair and reasonable trade at the time.

But when I heard that Baz was the PTBNL throw-in, I about lost my mind.

PTBNLs are NOT first-round draft picks who throw 100 mph and who are pitching for PITCHING STARVED franchises. You don't just throw those guys in.

I am still furious about it, as you can probably tell.

If you look back at the posts right after the trade , I took some ridicule as I hated it even before Baz was announced as the 3rd player. I did glance back and see that I was offering to bet by the end of 2019 , Glasnow would be a better pitcher than Archer. I did want like 8-5 odds but I put it out there and didn't get any takers. I guess I need to get over it but I can't seem to do it.
We'll get over it about nine years from now when Baz is on the verge of being traded in a deadline deal to the Dodgers.
And in about 15 years when Baz is 35 and coming off 3 bad seasons and a most recent ERA of 6.50, he'll be the Pirates' big free agent signing and the next reclamation project for pitching coach Dovydas Neverauskas.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

John Dreker over at P2 is raving about this guy who came over from the Indians in the Gonzalez trade.

Tahnaj Thomas

Dreker has this to say about him:

"Thomas was acquired from the Cleveland Indians over the winter in the Jordan Luplow/Max Moroff deal. He was already considered a decent prospect based on his potential, but he may have already exceeded expectations with his pitches. Thomas got a late start in baseball in the Bahamas and his first two seasons of pro ball amounted to 58 innings pitched. When the Pirates got him, he could hit mid-90s and his 6’4″ frame screamed projection. His spring started with a minor shoulder injury and then the Pirates tweaked his delivery before he really got going in Extended Spring Training, where we heard reports that he was hitting 97 MPH. By the first few games of the regular season in early July, his fastball found another gear and he hit 101 MPH. That velocity alone is going to get attention, but the reason he moved up the prospect charts this year is that he was throwing more strikes while throwing harder. His slider also become a legit swing-and-miss pitch, while he also worked on improving his changeup throughout the season. Once Thomas began attacking hitters with all three pitches and trusting his stuff, he became a better pitcher. It’s very possible that we see him open the season in Greensboro next year."

So maybe the Bucs got a diamond in the rough in that deal that might makeup for throwing in Baz in the Archer deal. I sure hope so.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5F7E765F747C1B0 wrote: John Dreker over at P2 is raving about this guy who came over from the Indians in the Gonzalez trade.

Tahnaj Thomas

Dreker has this to say about him:

"Thomas was acquired from the Cleveland Indians over the winter in the Jordan Luplow/Max Moroff deal. He was already considered a decent prospect based on his potential, but he may have already exceeded expectations with his pitches. Thomas got a late start in baseball in the Bahamas and his first two seasons of pro ball amounted to 58 innings pitched. When the Pirates got him, he could hit mid-90s and his 6’4″ frame screamed projection. His spring started with a minor shoulder injury and then the Pirates tweaked his delivery before he really got going in Extended Spring Training, where we heard reports that he was hitting 97 MPH. By the first few games of the regular season in early July, his fastball found another gear and he hit 101 MPH. That velocity alone is going to get attention, but the reason he moved up the prospect charts this year is that he was throwing more strikes while throwing harder. His slider also become a legit swing-and-miss pitch, while he also worked on improving his changeup throughout the season. Once Thomas began attacking hitters with all three pitches and trusting his stuff, he became a better pitcher. It’s very possible that we see him open the season in Greensboro next year."

So maybe the Bucs got a diamond in the rough in that deal that might makeup for throwing in Baz in the Archer deal.  I sure hope so.

I follow a number of prospects and he's one of them. Had a nice showing this year at Bristol.