If Bucs sign a free-agent starting pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

060E0D3A2C092E214F0 wrote: This is so sad...remember, NH said that they were confident with the internal options, even after Taillon was ruled out for 2020. And, let's be honest, we all know that that direction is coming from the top, which means it won't change even if there is new blood in the GM's suite.

And like someone said, who in their right mind would want to come here? We're so far removed from the days of A.J. Burnett turning down money to come back here because he loved it so much. I imagine the guys in that dugout can't wait to get out of Pittsburgh. Between the poor play with no hope for improvement, coupled with the debacles that were Jung Ho Kang and Felipe Vazquez, I'm absolutely 100% serious when I say this team is in worse shape than an expansion franchise.

No impact talent in the big leagues, no impact talent in the minors. Keller, Hayes, Newman, Reynolds, Bell, Tucker all nice players. None are difference makers. Each of those guys is probably a role player on a championship team. We need a new GM who isn't afraid to make drastic changes. Tear the ENTIRE thing down and rebuild it from scratch. Be honest with the fans about how long you think it will take. But this needs to happen. So, personally, I say "none of the above" on this list. None will want to come here, and even if they did, Nutting wouldn't pay them, and even if they did and he did, it would be the wrong move. We need to be thinking about 2024, best case scenario.

The problem is we are seeing the internal options now against non playoff teams and they are getting shelled. You need Keller to be ready next year. There is no one else. Brault? Agrizal? Nope and Nope. Kuhl? Nope. You needed to make that Vazquez deal with the Dodgers. I'm sure NH was waiting for Lux. Great prospect, but not a need. We need starting pitching and catching. He doesn't check either box. The second half of Williams last year won't be seen again from him. Who improves? Musgrove? Williams? They are what they are.

I think Reynolds has a chance to be a very good player. He has shown me something. Newman has surprised me. Will this continue? I have no idea. I can see Bell being a roller coaster. I'd sell high on him right now. We won't be able to keep him when he hits free agency.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: This is so sad...remember, NH said that they were confident with the internal options, even after Taillon was ruled out for 2020. And, let's be honest, we all know that that direction is coming from the top, which means it won't change even if there is new blood in the GM's suite.

And like someone said, who in their right mind would want to come here? We're so far removed from the days of A.J. Burnett turning down money to come back here because he loved it so much. I imagine the guys in that dugout can't wait to get out of Pittsburgh. Between the poor play with no hope for improvement, coupled with the debacles that were Jung Ho Kang and Felipe Vazquez, I'm absolutely 100% serious when I say this team is in worse shape than an expansion franchise.

No impact talent in the big leagues, no impact talent in the minors. Keller, Hayes, Newman, Reynolds, Bell, Tucker all nice players. None are difference makers. Each of those guys is probably a role player on a championship team. We need a new GM who isn't afraid to make drastic changes. Tear the ENTIRE thing down and rebuild it from scratch. Be honest with the fans about how long you think it will take. But this needs to happen. So, personally, I say "none of the above" on this list. None will want to come here, and even if they did, Nutting wouldn't pay them, and even if they did and he did, it would be the wrong move. We need to be thinking about 2024, best case scenario.

I had not considered moving Keller. If 2024 is truly the target, I guess Keller and Musgrove should be moved. Add Bell, Marte, Reynolds, Newman, Moran and look for high end prospects in A or AA....maybe they could have a quality team by 2023 or 2024.

Can you imagine the next two or three years in Pittsburgh? 120+ loses each of the next few years is realistic. But that is possibly the best case. And the trades this off season must work. Frankly, I expect mostly misses on trades.
mouse

Post by mouse »

When you look at who the Pirates have to trade (where they might actually get something in return) you don't have a lot of choices. I see Bell and Marte as most likely. You could use Moran at first (he probably fits better there than third) and/or Osuna, with Gonzalez at third. There is nothing at this point to suggest Hayes will be able to hit any better than Gonzalez, but more time in AAA may answer that (or at least give hope). They have replacement center fielders - not as good but can play the position without embarrassment. I wouldn't trade any pitchers. With young pitchers in particular, you can't tell who's good and who isn't. I'm guessing most of what we've seen this year is pitchers throwing above the level, necessary because of the injuries but not really indicative of their long-term prospects.