Frank Coonelly Leaving?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

I wonder if this will affect their manager search. If you are a guy like Kotsay, who is on their list but has other options, would you sign up with such a volatile front office?
PMike

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by PMike »

I wonder if FC left because of the losing and lack of hope...

Greg Brown has said numerous times publicly that FC didn't handle losing well. He didn't even like losing spring training games. It would actually be an impressive stand for him to take if that's why he left.
Ecbucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Ecbucs »

1C012527294C0 wrote: I wonder if FC left because of the losing and lack of hope...

Greg Brown has said numerous times publicly that FC didn't handle losing well.  He didn't even like losing spring training games.  It would actually be an impressive stand for him to take if that's why he left.

I would be impressed by that too, especially if he says something to the public.

Maybe something like this: I couldn't stand the idea that we had little chance of winning a championship and thought labor negotiations would be more fun.
fjk090852-7

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wonder who the new president will be. Will he be a name which we have heard of in the past? Adam Berry has noted that Neal Huntington is not being promoted to President. How about a guy like Dave Dombrowski? Maybe a front office person from one of the successful small market teams like Tampa Bay.
Bobster21

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Bobster21 »

I guess it's time for TBMTIB 2.0. I'm glad they've acknowledged they need new ideas and a new direction. The previous direction of hurtling to the bottom was not acceptable.

Of course the biggest problem remains---Nutting. I hope his idea of change is more than just looking for people who can compete with a shoestring budget and dumpster diving. Because that won't happen. But I find it encouraging that Nutting feels a need for change. It has been the perception that he's satisfied with a failing team as long as he profits. That may be accurate but maybe things have reached the point where profits are declining. Whatever the reason, at least change is coming in the form of a new president, new manager and any resulting changes in organization personnel. Whether they are given the tools to compete or simply fail for the same reasons their predecessors failed is the question.
BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

I'm still totally baffled as to how Huntington survived this.
MaineBucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by MaineBucs »

I know little to nothing about Frank Connelly.

That said, if Nutting (as reported) was giving him grief about the team's attendance, it was wise for him to leave. There is little you can do to encourage more fans to come out to a team that won only 69 games, that completely tanked in the second half, and that appears to have no hope under the current cost constraints to win more games next season.

No idea who the next president will be, but it is hard to believe that the next president will have many positive impacts on the direction of the team/franchise if the owner doesn't understand that the team needs more resources to be able to compete.
SteadyFreddy

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It won’t shock me at all if Neal Huntington is the new president but that’s another story. Regardless of who is named the new president on Monday Bob Nutting needs to be at this press conference and answer some damn questions and grow a pair and give some explanations as to what his plans are for the future and why he made some of the decisions he did the last month or so. Also if he plans on spending money on this team like he said he would do numerous times. It’s really not hard seeing how Coonelly resigned and wanted out. I wasn’t a fan of Frank but at least he came out and answered questions and didn’t hide behind release statements like gutless Bob Nutting does time and time again. I think Coonelly finally realized it just wasn’t going to work here anymore and he was tired of trying to put a positive spin on things at the start of every season year after year when he knew deep down he wasn’t gonna win. He knew he wasn’t going to be able to do it again next season with as bad as this season turned out and I think he wanted no part of it or Nutting anymore moving forward.
SammyKhalifa

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

123E36313A1D2A3C2C5F0 wrote: I know little to nothing about Frank Connelly.

That said, if Nutting (as reported) was giving him grief about the team's attendance, it was wise for him to leave.   There is little you can do to encourage more fans to come out to a team that won only 69 games, that completely tanked in the second half, and that appears to have no hope under the current cost constraints to win more games next season.

No idea who the next president will be, but it is hard to believe that the next president will have many positive impacts on the direction of the team/franchise if the owner doesn't understand that the team needs more resources to be able to compete.
yeah, I'd have a bigger opinion on this if i actually knew what it was he did.
mouse

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by mouse »

I’m totally confused. Nutting is saying the whole operation needs to be reviewed after last season and this change will give them a new direction. I though the president handled the business side and the general manager handled the baseball side. The only thing the business side could do to help performance would be to open the purse strings a bit - and I’m still guessing that’s Nutting, not the president.