Huntington Out

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Huntington Out

Post by UtahPirate »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: so what should the order of hiring be here?  this must of been a surprise or else they would not have been interviewing managers.
This has been a picture of chaos from the start. First Hurdle told reporters he had been assured he would return. Then he denied being assured. Then he was fired 2 days later before the final game. Then NH started interviewing manager candidates. Then Coonelly was replaced by Williams. Then Nutting said he had faith in NH to get things turned around. Now it appears NH is out.

I doubt Hurdle lied when he said he was assured of returning. So it sounds like NH was overruled by someone else. Then as NH is interviewing managing candidates, his boss gets canned. The about face on NH following the hiring of Williams strongly suggests it was his input that put NH in jeopardy since there was no reason to begin interviewing managers if NH wasn't going to be around to select the candidates and decide on the hiring. They've got to get their ducks (no, not Hodges) in a row. The owner has to be satisfied with the president who has to be satisfied with the GM who has to be satisfied with the manager. Otherwise one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, which seems to have been the case thus far.  It's no wonder the performance of the team on the field is so bad. Look how bad things are at the top!

So we interview a bunch of managerial candidates without a team president and with a GM, who gets canned after all of these guys come in to interview. So who gets to make the hiring decision? Or are we starting over with interviews now? This has become bizarre ...
DemDog

Huntington Out

Post by DemDog »

75544148704952415445200 wrote: so what should the order of hiring be here?  this must of been a surprise or else they would not have been interviewing managers.
This has been a picture of chaos from the start. First Hurdle told reporters he had been assured he would return. Then he denied being assured. Then he was fired 2 days later before the final game. Then NH started interviewing manager candidates. Then Coonelly was replaced by Williams. Then Nutting said he had faith in NH to get things turned around. Now it appears NH is out.

I doubt Hurdle lied when he said he was assured of returning. So it sounds like NH was overruled by someone else. Then as NH is interviewing managing candidates, his boss gets canned. The about face on NH following the hiring of Williams strongly suggests it was his input that put NH in jeopardy since there was no reason to begin interviewing managers if NH wasn't going to be around to select the candidates and decide on the hiring. They've got to get their ducks (no, not Hodges) in a row. The owner has to be satisfied with the president who has to be satisfied with the GM who has to be satisfied with the manager. Otherwise one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, which seems to have been the case thus far.  It's no wonder the performance of the team on the field is so bad. Look how bad things are at the top!

So we interview a bunch of managerial candidates without a team president and with a GM, who gets canned after all of these guys come in to interview. So who gets to make the hiring decision? Or are we starting over with interviews now? This has become bizarre ...

My guess is that Nutting may have been sitting in on some of the very few managerial candidates with NH.  This seems like it will be a complete house cleaning so I am not worried about the assbackwards timing.  I just hope and pray that Williams and Nutting can get things right this time.
johnfluharty

Huntington Out

Post by johnfluharty »

Someone had this suggestion over at Pirates Prospects:

My guess,

Manager candidates weren't interested in signing on with a lame duck GM. Maybe it came out in some interviews and Nutting felt he needed to act. I also think the the fan reaction played a part.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable guess to me.
Osushawn

Huntington Out

Post by Osushawn »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: It's the only sensible thing to do. Considering they are severely hamstrung by Nutting's wallet being nailed shut, the only chance they have to be remotely competitive is to be strong in drafting, development and evaluation. And those are NH's weaknesses. But then you have to wonder who in the organization is qualified to identify a suitable replacement. 

Well, Brandon Taubman, formerly of the Astros, is available!
UtahPirate

Huntington Out

Post by UtahPirate »

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: so what should the order of hiring be here?  this must of been a surprise or else they would not have been interviewing managers.

My guess is that Nutting may have been sitting in on some of the very few managerial candidates with NH.  This seems like it will be a complete house cleaning so I am not worried about the assbackwards timing.  I just hope and pray that Williams and Nutting can get things right this time.

Put my faith in Nutting? Uhhhh, no thanks.

Nutting continues to show he's a clown and by far the worst owner in baseball. Unreal  ::)
WiffleballHero

Huntington Out

Post by WiffleballHero »

This franchise continues to set the mark for the most awkward, ridiculous, herky-jerky, random, back-@$$ward decisions I've ever seen in MLB in a long time.  They have finished off confirming that no one at this ballclub has exhibited what the $#%* they're doing in years.

Fire or don't fire.  Clean house or don't clean house.  This Twilight Zone act is insane.

The best explanation is somebody finally got around to whispering in Nutting's ear that big changes needed to be made and despite his loyalty to the best management team in baseball, he had to let it go, let it go, can't hold it back anymore.

The worst explanation for how all this went down is this is all a sad, flailing, spastic circus and we're the rubes who plunk down the nickels hoping a clown will appear just once to make us laugh while trying to ignore the ugly trapeze artists cramping up, the sickly limping elephants and the morbidly obese ringmaster who is coughing up phlegm.  Just to pick a metaphor.
ArnoldRothstein

Huntington Out

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The only thing I can figure is that the replacements are in house, so interviews and stuff are just to comply with appearances.
Ecbucs

Huntington Out

Post by Ecbucs »

003E31313B3235363B3B1F322538570 wrote: This franchise continues to set the mark for the most awkward, ridiculous, herky-jerky, random, back-@$$ward decisions I've ever seen in MLB in a long time.  They have finished off confirming that no one at this ballclub has exhibited what the $#%* they're doing in years.

Fire or don't fire.  Clean house or don't clean house.  This Twilight Zone act is insane.

The best explanation is somebody finally got around to whispering in Nutting's ear that big changes needed to be made and despite his loyalty to the best management team in baseball, he had to let it go, let it go, can't hold it back anymore.

The worst explanation for how all this went down is this is all a sad, flailing, spastic circus and we're the rubes who plunk down the nickels hoping a clown will appear just once to make us laugh while trying to ignore the ugly trapeze artists cramping up, the sickly limpling elephants and the morbidly obese ringmaster who is coughing up phlegm.  Just to pick a metaphor.

I wonder if Dejan is right and that Ogden Nutting had something to do with this.

Hopefully he said I want the team to win a World Series before I die. Make it happen.
Bobster21

Huntington Out

Post by Bobster21 »

6F515E5E545D5A595454705D4A57380 wrote: This franchise continues to set the mark for the most awkward, ridiculous, herky-jerky, random, back-@$$ward decisions I've ever seen in MLB in a long time.  They have finished off confirming that no one at this ballclub has exhibited what the $#%* they're doing in years.

The worst explanation for how all this went down is this is all a sad, flailing, spastic circus and we're the rubes who plunk down the nickels hoping a clown will appear just once to make us laugh while trying to ignore the ugly trapeze artists cramping up, the sickly limping elephants and the morbidly obese ringmaster who is coughing up phlegm.  Just to pick a metaphor.

I love this post!!! :D
Bobster21

Huntington Out

Post by Bobster21 »

45646C456E66010 wrote: So who did the TV deal?

Joe Block?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yes, he'll now be paid by the word. :D