Nutting and Williams Press conference

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3B3C2A222C3B7C70092E24282025672A2624490 wrote: I said that last week VA that there was no way Williams was going to be hired and keep Huntington when the story came out of Frank leaving and Williams being hired. I know Williams doesn’t have a lot of baseball background but he comes from an organization in the Penguins with a winning culture and that is important to me. I think that type of mindset can help set a tone in the front office that can trickle down to every level in the organization. The Penguins are a team that consistently wins and wins championships. Having a guy coming in that was a part in that I think can’t be and shouldn’t be overlooked.

I’m wondering if Williams would come into the organization without some sort of commitment to winning. Williams doesn’t need to know baseball as long as he gets to bring in his people that do know baseball.  And maybe he’s received a commitment to materially increase payroll.

Why would he kill his rep with the current operation?

Maybe “they” are pushing Nutting to operate like a real MLB team.   
I read that Bob Nutting’s Dad was not pleased with all the negativity regarding the Pirates. So possibly he, or some of the other investors have told him to operate like a real MLB team. It will be interesting once the new GM is announced as to whether they will make some trades, sign some middle range free agents , or go with a full rebuild. I will admit I liked Neal Huntington, but since the FO changes, I am more optimistic about the future of this franchise.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I am definitely more optimistic about things moving forward. Making a clean sweep in the front office with all three of these guys was the only possible way to sell this team going into next season. I’m with VA on Williams as well that I don’t think he would just take this job having no baseball experience if he wasn’t promised that he could open up pocket books and spend some money.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Yeah I’ve heard the same about Ogden. I think he’s actually a fan. I know he attends some games although he’s getting up in age.

Williams is the key for me - what possible reason would he take this job unless he has some meaningful assurance that the team will be operated with a different plan financially? Unless.... he’s here to help Nutting to sell.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

393E28202E397E720B2C262A2227652824264B0 wrote: Yeah I’ve heard the same about Ogden.  I think he’s actually a fan.  I know he attends some games although he’s getting up in age.

Williams is the key for me - what possible reason would he take this job unless he has some meaningful assurance that the team will be operated with a different plan financially?  Unless.... he’s here to help Nutting to sell.   

I wondered about Williams too. But there could be a lot reasons for going to the Pirates. Maybe he didn't like Long Island. Maybe he wants to be closer to his home. Maybe the Pirates pay better (chuckle, chuckle). Could be a combination of reasons and I hope yours is the major one.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

595E48404E591E126B4C464A4247054844462B0 wrote: Yeah I’ve heard the same about Ogden.  I think he’s actually a fan.  I know he attends some games although he’s getting up in age.

Williams is the key for me - what possible reason would he take this job unless he has some meaningful assurance that the team will be operated with a different plan financially?  Unless.... he’s here to help Nutting to sell.   
I believe TBMTIB (CH, NH, FC) all believed they were signing on with an organization whose owner sincerely intended to build a winner. All signs pointed to that in 2013-2015 and there was still that promise to spend "when the time was right" which looked very promising after the 98 win team of 2015 set the franchise attendance record and was still under the average payroll. But the 2016 payroll was essentially the same and payroll was slashed thereafter. The team was no longer competitive and Nutting's "TBMTIB" must have privately felt betrayed as they oversaw a hopeless situation despite publicly touting the party line for their boss. Now it's time for "TBMTIB 2.0." What are they hearing from Nutting? Is Williams buying into a faulty premise? Will the same happen with the next GM and mgr?

I want to believe a new beginning bodes well. But Nutting has deceived the fans before and has lost the right to be trusted. And his comments at the PR only defended his refusal to spend. All he said he'd do is "better communicate" why his team won't/can't spend. Wow. Whoopie! Maybe a new promotion idea: "Why We Can't Spend Day." Fans will receive rags as a giveaway to symbolize the team's poverty. Who cares if they win only 69 games with the 29th lowest payroll as long as the fans understand why Nutting won't spend for players. I'm sure Williams believes he's going to make a difference as will the next GM and mgr. And even with a shoestring payroll, a better GM and mgr than NH and CH will probably win a few more games. But without a sincere effort by Nutting, little will change. And I don't trust Nutting.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I agree with Bobster. Nuttings comments about better communicating were particularly disheartening.
rucker59@gmail.com

Yeah I agree that the press conference did nothing to make me think more money is coming. 

Maybe he simply forgot to tell us the good news about an increase in payroll....Communications sucking and all..... :-?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5453454D4354131F66414B474F4A0845494B260 wrote: Yeah I agree that the press conference did nothing to make me think more money is coming. 

Maybe he simply forgot to tell us the good news about an increase in payroll....Communications sucking and all..... :-?

I'm trying to find the article I read with comments from Williams (not Trevor). The way the quotes were suggest we won't see anything changing as far as resources being pump into the product.
rucker59@gmail.com

5646477066666A050 wrote: Yeah I agree that the press conference did nothing to make me think more money is coming. 

I'm trying to find the article I read with comments from Williams (not Trevor).  The way the quotes were suggest we won't see anything changing as far as resources being pump into the product.

If that’s the case....I will have to agree with Nutting: he’s really bad at communicating.

Way to go Bob, suck the life out of us on day 1 of the new regime.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I just don’t get it. I mean, if I was rich enough to own my own pro sports team, money wouldn’t do it for me. When your bank account earns more interest than most people’s annual salary, whether you spend $200 million or $75 million, who cares? The only true reward in this business is what the Lerner’s experiences last night. If it were me, all I’d want is a title.

That said, I’ll be disappointed if payroll increases. They need to put a team out there next year that loses well in excess of 100 games. They need to trade anyone of value. Then, maybe, in five years, they can be competitive.