Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year? Just saying!
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

05242C052E26410 wrote: How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year?  Just saying!

Speaking of guys who could be on the managers list.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7E4D5150535B6D504B574C4B5A56513F0 wrote: How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year?  Just saying!

I read on MLB Trade Rumors that Martin wants to play in 2020. He might be a good choice as a platoon catcher, but he may prefer to sign with a team which could contend for the postseason.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

41726E6F6C64526F7468737465696E000 wrote: How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year?  Just saying!

I don't think anyone is going to move directly from the player ranks to Pirate manager without even coaching experience. A lot of current players will probably make good managers someday but they need some experience in coaching or minor league managing first.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

16373F163D35520 wrote: How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year?  Just saying!

Easy pass. No more reclamation projects please. I like RussMart too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0C262D1D2A3C3C305F0 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors released its Top 50 FA list and D'Arnaud and Castro were on it, but, though listed as a team of interest, they didn't predict Pittsburgh as a landing place for either.

I'm cool with Stallings/Diaz in 2020. I want to see us make a trade for a catcher with some upside at the AA level. We could offer one of Crick, Rodriguez or Feliz and/or AAA INF Kevin Kramer in trade. Toronto and Atlanta have multiple catchers on their Top 30 prospect lists. Kramer is blocked in our system.

Heck, I'd be happy to welcome back Reese McGuire, who is ranked below two other Blue Jay catching prospects.

For what it's worth, they thought we'd get RF Kole Calhoun, former Angel, on a 1 yr.-6M deal, and LHSP Drew Smyly on a 1-yr., 3M deal. I'd be happy to get Kalhoun at that price!
I would like to see them obtain McGuire and go with him and Stallings. Both are good defensively. McGuire hit well for Toronto in a SSS and Stallings was ok offensively in a platoon role. They could see which one emerged as the starter or continue a platoon. But McGuire currently looks entrenched as the Blue Jays #2 catcher for 2020.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4353526573737F100 wrote: How about a reunion with Russell Martin for a year?  Just saying!

Easy pass.  No more reclamation projects please.  I like RussMart too.
I would like to see someone like Martin who is ready to retire but could share catching with Diaz/Stallings. Doesn't have to be Martin but a good defensive catcher a year from retirement type, this is a must for this team.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade rumors chat had this to say about Gomes today (site predicts he will get a 3 million contract):

Gomes has had one decent year at the plate in the past five seasons, his framing numbers dipped this season, and he'll turn 33 next summer. Someone might still pay him because they believe the glove bounces back, but he's not great and there are more preferable catchers on the market.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors released its Top 50 FA list and D'Arnaud and Castro were on it, but, though listed as a team of interest, they didn't predict Pittsburgh as a landing place for either.

I'm cool with Stallings/Diaz in 2020. I want to see us make a trade for a catcher with some upside at the AA level. We could offer one of Crick, Rodriguez or Feliz and/or AAA INF Kevin Kramer in trade. Toronto and Atlanta have multiple catchers on their Top 30 prospect lists. Kramer is blocked in our system.

Heck, I'd be happy to welcome back Reese McGuire, who is ranked below two other Blue Jay catching prospects.

For what it's worth, they thought we'd get RF Kole Calhoun, former Angel, on a 1 yr.-6M deal, and LHSP Drew Smyly on a 1-yr., 3M deal. I'd be happy to get Kalhoun at that price!
I would like to see them obtain McGuire and go with him and Stallings. Both are good defensively. McGuire hit well for Toronto in a SSS and Stallings was ok offensively in a platoon role. They could see which one emerged as the starter or continue a platoon. But McGuire currently looks entrenched as the Blue Jays #2 catcher for 2020. 

Agree that Toronto has McGuire in their plans. But they are looking for pitching and they are looking for help at 1B. Would it take as much as Will Craig and Rich Rodriguez for McGuire? I'd go that far. Toronto has enough money to go out and sign a FA backup catcher. Their starter, Danny Jansen, is very young.

If the Jays wanted Osuna instead of Craig, I'd do that too.