RIP Hal Smith

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

RIP Hal Smith

Post by Bobster21 »

675046464A474C4949250 wrote: NBC broadcaster Chuck Thompson "Forbes Field is,at this moment, an outdoor insane asylum. We have seen and shared in one of baseball's great moments." After Smith in the 8th. Bet ole Chuck would have liked to have sat on that one for one more inning.
Thompson was right. Smith's 2-out, 2-strike, 3-run HR was a classic WS moment catapulting the Bucs into a 9-7 [edit] lead when they began the bottom of the 8th training 7-4. The frenzy of the crowd at that moment truly seemed insane as it lasted throughout the ensuing pitching change. Thompson then called on his partner Jack Quinlan for a comment and Quinlan was still stunned, responding with, "Chuck, I don't know why you called on me; I'm speechless." And an inning later, the place went nuts again for Maz's HR. But if you only listen to the crowd reaction for the 2 HRs, it's hard to tell any difference as the fans thought they had witnessed a series winning HR both times. 
DemDog

RIP Hal Smith

Post by DemDog »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: NBC broadcaster Chuck Thompson "Forbes Field is,at this moment, an outdoor insane asylum. We have seen and shared in one of baseball's great moments." After Smith in the 8th. Bet ole Chuck would have liked to have sat on that one for one more inning.
Thompson was right. Smith's 2-out, 2-strike, 3-run HR was a classic WS moment catapulting the Bucs into a 7-6 lead when they began the bottom of the 8th training 7-4. The frenzy of the crowd at that moment truly seemed insane as it lasted throughout the ensuing pitching change. Thompson then called on his partner Jack Quinlan for a comment and Quinlan was still stunned, responding with, "Chuck, I don't know why you called on me; I'm speechless." And an inning later, the place went nuts again for Maz's HR. But if you only listen to the crowd reaction for the 2 HRs, it's hard to tell any difference as the fans thought they had witnessed a series winning HR both times. 

Only the Battlin' Buccos of 1960 could do that! But after Smith's 8th inning HR the fans got a big thrill of "Ninth Inning Lightning" off the bat of Maz.