D-backs closing in on Marte trade (report)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

0010112630303C530 wrote:

@JonHeyman

Follow Follow @JonHeyman

Hearing Brennan Malone is going to Pirates in Marte deal. First round pick last year (33rd overall).

if those are true it's Diamondbacks' #5 and #10 prospects accdg to this rotoworld prospect list i randomly googled up

No problem with Malone, have major problem getting the SS prospect.  Didn't really fill a need.

Peguero is very young and is at least three years out. Providing that Cruz moves from SS, he would fit there as I can't see all three of Newman, Kramer, and Tucker being here then. There will be room for him.

I like Malone a lot, but it would have been nice to get Varsho. I see him as a Jason Kendall type. Would have fit well with Pittsburgh
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote:

@JonHeyman

Follow Follow @JonHeyman

Hearing Brennan Malone is going to Pirates in Marte deal. First round pick last year (33rd overall).

if those are true it's Diamondbacks' #5 and #10 prospects accdg to this rotoworld prospect list i randomly googled up

#7 and 9 according to BA.

This is the right move. They need to tear the whole thing down. Marte moving is hopefully the first piece to fall.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The Pirates get $250K in int’l money
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

65595F59424B5D442A0 wrote:

@JonHeyman

Follow Follow @JonHeyman

No problem with Malone, have major problem getting the SS prospect.  Didn't really fill a need.

Peguero is very young and is at least three years out.  Providing that Cruz moves from SS, he would fit there as I can't see all three of Newman, Kramer, and Tucker being here then.  There will be room for him. 

I like Malone a lot, but it would have been nice to get Varsho.  I see him as a Jason Kendall type.  Would have fit well with Pittsburgh

We had bigger needs than Peguero. Varsho, or a good OF prospect would have been better.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

One blurb i read implied that he might go to center at some point. We'll see I guess.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Wow. Something baseball, actually. I like the idea of younger prospects with high upside. They will need high upside players if they want to compete.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like the trade, and now I wonder if they will sign another outfielder who can play centerfield. The saved about 10 million in payroll so there is space to sign someone to patrol centerfield.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

If anybody had any doubts about what the plan is it is to go young , very young . Really hope that Ben knows what he is doing because we just traded our best chip for two A players .
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Malone was the 1b to Priester’s 1a among the HS RHP’s in last year’s draft. I was surprised he slid all the way to the comp round (33rd overall) and then signed for slot.

Physically, he’s a mature 19 year old.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

We received the D- Backs 9th and 18th prospects none of which cracked MLB top 100. Plus we shell out 1.5M for 250K in Int’l bonus money. I give BC an F in his first trade.