Jarrod Dyson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Jarrod Dyson

Post by IABucFan »

My previous post got me thinking...

https://throughthefencebaseball.com/202 ... prospects/

This Kumar Rocker dude looks like a nice fit for the Bucs. 6-5, 250, mid 90s fastball, tops at 98, excellent control, and a wicked slider. Sounds like a right-handed version of Randy Johnson. (And yes, I stole the Randy Johnson reference from the article.) Yeah, I'll take that. This is what we're playing for this year. I have no interest in winning 75 games and being middle of the pack.
Ecbucs

Jarrod Dyson

Post by Ecbucs »

Dyson's slugging was higher than his oba last year.  The year before it wasn't.  Last year was his career high in homers. 

Dyson has started as many as 99 games twice in his career and it wasn't that long ago: 2017 (99) and 2019 (91)

I guess the Bucs got the last man standing to play center.

He might be the perfect hitter for the nineth spot in the lineup.
CTBucco

Jarrod Dyson

Post by CTBucco »

1F353E0E392F2F234C0 wrote: I have no idea where to put him in the lineup.
I’d bat him 10th or 11th.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jarrod Dyson

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees. The Staten Island Yankees.
rucker59@gmail.com

Jarrod Dyson

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

287E687C736979727F685A7D777B737634791A0 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

Bob Nutting must cast some sort of spell on anyone that walks in his office. How else to explain that ANYONE would choose to work for this sorry outfit?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jarrod Dyson

3F382E26283F78740D2A202C2421632E22204D0 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

Bob Nutting must cast some sort of spell on anyone that walks in his office.  How else to explain that ANYONE would choose to work for this sorry outfit?

Was the allure for another GM job so great that he was willing to work for this guy rather than wait for a real job to open? Maybe he figured he had nothing to lose coming here. If he fails, it's easy to blame Nutting for tying his hands. If by some miracle he succeeds, he'll be wanted by every legit organization in baseball.
rucker59@gmail.com

Jarrod Dyson

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

Bob Nutting must cast some sort of spell on anyone that walks in his office.  How else to explain that ANYONE would choose to work for this sorry outfit?

Was the allure for another GM job so great that he was willing to work for this guy rather than wait for a real job to open?  Maybe he figured he had nothing to lose coming here.  If he fails, it's easy to blame Nutting for tying his hands.  If by some miracle he succeeds, he'll be wanted by every legit organization in baseball.

That’s true. But I don’t understand how a competitive person can stand to work for Nutting. How can he stomach being part of an organization that has no intention to spend money to actually compete?
Lecom

Jarrod Dyson

Post by Lecom »

500610040B11010A071022050F030B0E4C01620 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

Was the allure for another GM job so great that he was willing to work for this guy rather than wait for a real job to open?  Maybe he figured he had nothing to lose coming here.  If he fails, it's easy to blame Nutting for tying his hands.  If by some miracle he succeeds, he'll be wanted by every legit organization in baseball.

A part-time 34-year-old player. The good news is Marte had 23 HR last year and Dyson has 21. Of course, that was over a 10-year career. SHEEZE !!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jarrod Dyson

101701090710575B22050F030B0E4C010D0F620 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

That’s true.  But I don’t understand how a competitive person can stand to work for Nutting.  How can he stomach being part of an organization that has no intention to spend money to actually compete?

Good question. There are only 30 GM jobs so I guess he was willing to be here just to be back in that saddle again. But how long will it be before the frustrations wear him down and he simply doesn't try? That can happen even to the most competitive people.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Jarrod Dyson

456C6A6664090 wrote: Cherington's spending like he's running the Yankees.  The Staten Island Yankees.

A part-time 34-year-old player. The good news is Marte had 23 HR last year and Dyson has 21. Of course, that was over a 10-year career. SHEEZE !!!!

I know all teams bring in guys to fill spots during Spring Training but I'm not sure I see even that as being a legitimate reason to bring in Dyson. This is like the Ryan Vogelsong signing from a few years ago.