So what exactly is the plan?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Bingo. Imagine the so-called evaluation works out. Newman and Reynolds look like the real thing and Hayes and Tucker establish themselves as legit major leaguers. In Fantasyland you could then pick up somebody like Joc Pedersen and your lineup is

Newman

Reynolds

Pedersen

Bell

Polanco

Hayes

Tucker

Stallings or some other catcher

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: I’m going to try to answer this honestly. I’ve been saying all year that we’re in worse shape than your average expansion team, and I absolutely mean that. No difference makers at the MLB level, none in the minors either. Lots of nice players (Bell, Newman, Reynolds, Williams, Musgrove, Hayes, Cruz, Keller), but nobody you think, “Yeah, that guy can go win us a pennant (ala McCutchen circa 2013-15).” So, I think they are playing for four or five years from now, at best.

That means hoping that Keller, Newman, Reynolds, Hayes, Priester develop. That means trading Marte (and eventually Bell, hopefully Williams, Musgrove, Kela, Archer, Dyson too) for higher upside talents that are four and five years away. That means tanking this season and drafting Kumar Rocker #1 overall in 2021.

They’re punting this year and next. We need to accept that reality. We just need to TTP...trust the process. The worst thing they can do is win 75. Trust BC. He’s a good hire. But it’s gonna be awhile.
What always sinks the Pirates is Nutting's cheapness. Like any organization, the Pirates are able to come up with a number of nice players. The difference is that other teams will use that as a base and then obtain a few impact players that put the team over the top. That involves signing impact FAs and/or trading for highly productive players who come with large contracts. For the Pirates, those "nice" players are as good as it will get because no one else of significance will be added since doing so takes Nutting out of his payroll comfort zone of the bottom 5. So we are always limited to watching a few decent players who would fit nicely on good teams without having to be the difference maker they need to be for the Pirates and knowing that the addition of a few key players will never happen.

Yep.  It's been that way in the past, it's that way now, and it'll be that way for as long as Nutting's the owner.  So what recourse do we have as fans?  We can either be happy we have a major league club (which is what Nutting is going for), be apathetic, or be angry. 

I've gone through all three emotions in the past four years, but now I'm mostly angry.  Angry that we're stuck with him as the owner and there's no way out.
shedman

Post by shedman »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: I’m going to try to answer this honestly. I’ve been saying all year that we’re in worse shape than your average expansion team, and I absolutely mean that. No difference makers at the MLB level, none in the minors either. Lots of nice players (Bell, Newman, Reynolds, Williams, Musgrove, Hayes, Cruz, Keller), but nobody you think, “Yeah, that guy can go win us a pennant (ala McCutchen circa 2013-15).” So, I think they are playing for four or five years from now, at best.

That means hoping that Keller, Newman, Reynolds, Hayes, Priester develop. That means trading Marte (and eventually Bell, hopefully Williams, Musgrove, Kela, Archer, Dyson too) for higher upside talents that are four and five years away. That means tanking this season and drafting Kumar Rocker #1 overall in 2021.

They’re punting this year and next. We need to accept that reality. We just need to TTP...trust the process. The worst thing they can do is win 75. Trust BC. He’s a good hire. But it’s gonna be awhile.
What always sinks the Pirates is Nutting's cheapness. Like any organization, the Pirates are able to come up with a number of nice players. The difference is that other teams will use that as a base and then obtain a few impact players that put the team over the top. That involves signing impact FAs and/or trading for highly productive players who come with large contracts. For the Pirates, those "nice" players are as good as it will get because no one else of significance will be added since doing so takes Nutting out of his payroll comfort zone of the bottom 5. So we are always limited to watching a few decent players who would fit nicely on good teams without having to be the difference maker they need to be for the Pirates and knowing that the addition of a few key players will never happen.

__

Post of the Week.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: I’m going to try to answer this honestly. I’ve been saying all year that we’re in worse shape than your average expansion team, and I absolutely mean that. No difference makers at the MLB level, none in the minors either. Lots of nice players (Bell, Newman, Reynolds, Williams, Musgrove, Hayes, Cruz, Keller), but nobody you think, “Yeah, that guy can go win us a pennant (ala McCutchen circa 2013-15).” So, I think they are playing for four or five years from now, at best.

We absolutely do not know this. He all hope it. I hope it's true. "But it's gonna be awhile" applies to whether BC is the right hire or not as well.

With a budget that Pirate fans don't even have wild dreams about, BC managed to win a WS after some huge trades and lineup overhaul. Was he good or just lucky? You can support good with that big ring, but you can support lucky with the fact Boston took last place the next 3 years in row and he got canned. During those 3 years he did turn the Red Sox minor league system around, which seems to be the major point that Bucco fans point to. But it was Dombroski that took those young players and surrounded them with the right trades and FAs to win another ring (while depleting his minor league system to do it).

BC's good at spotting talent! BC's poor at getting the right pieces on a MLB roster despite all that money?

Now I get that Boston and Pittsburgh are a bit of an apples and oranges comparison given all the market differences. But if you think purposely taking a dive is the right strategy (and many here seem to think so), then I guess BC is doing OK. But if you're worried about his track record of building a good MLB roster, then he is off to a really crappy start.

But we absolutely do not know if BC is the right guy yet.