Could The Bucs Bullpen Be Strong In 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

1B0B0A3D2B2B27480 wrote: One thing is for sure. There will probably be fewer fights.

Has anyone heard about the Pirates voiding Vasquez' contract? Spotrac still has him at about five and a half million.

I'd just as soon see Vazquez get the money while in the hole, or have to give it to charity because Bob won't reinvest a dime of that on the Bucs.

It should go to the family of the child that he raped.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.
I'm not a fan of Crick and don't believe he can be counted on for anything. Even if he was tipping his pitches, his primary problem is control. He has struggled mightily to throw strikes at every minor league level and MLB except for 2018 with the Pirates. And instead of turning the corner in 2018 he went right back to his normal lack of control in 2019. A reliever who automatically provides the opposition with base runners before they even put a ball in play is a huge problem. Maybe Crick will gain control again. That would be great. But based on the totality of his career, it isn't likely.

I like him better than you do because he does have some serious movement on his slider and has up to last year a pretty good ERA . However, I absolutely agree with you for him to be effective he needs to throw more strikes and what I mean is quality strikes. If he doesn't you are right he won't be much of a factor.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

674E4844462B0 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.
I'm not a fan of Crick and don't believe he can be counted on for anything. Even if he was tipping his pitches, his primary problem is control. He has struggled mightily to throw strikes at every minor league level and MLB except for 2018 with the Pirates. And instead of turning the corner in 2018 he went right back to his normal lack of control in 2019. A reliever who automatically provides the opposition with base runners before they even put a ball in play is a huge problem. Maybe Crick will gain control again. That would be great. But based on the totality of his career, it isn't likely.

I like him better than you do because he does have some serious movement on his slider and has up to last year a pretty good ERA . However, I absolutely agree with you for him to be effective he needs to throw more strikes and what I mean is quality strikes. If he doesn't you are right he won't be much of a factor.
He reminds me of Charlie Morton as a Pirate. Unbelievable movement on his pitches but little success. Morton got straightened out by the Astros. Maybe a new regime in Pittsburgh can straighten Crick out.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.

He reminds me of Charlie Morton as a Pirate. Unbelievable movement on his pitches but little success. Morton got straightened out by the Astros. Maybe a new regime in Pittsburgh can straighten Crick out.   

I hope!!!

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4A4241766045626D030 wrote: One thing is for sure. There will probably be fewer fights.

Has anyone heard about the Pirates voiding Vasquez' contract? Spotrac still has him at about five and a half million.

I'd just as soon see Vazquez get the money while in the hole, or have to give it to charity because Bob won't reinvest a dime of that on the Bucs.

It should go to the family of the child that he raped.

Have no problem with that at all.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I don't think so.

Kela is going to be a shaky closer and they have no guy that seems capable of handling the set up role. Crick could win it back, but he could also be sent down to Indy. Rodriguez will probably be ok, but not a high leverage guy. Burdi and Santana are both wait and see, Feliz is an enigma, he might flash brilliance but be unplayable through long stretches, so he's never a high leverage guy. And either Kuhl is crappy in a BP role, or he's good, and in that case he would likely be elevated to the rotation.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2824257E777E767B7C63794E0 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.

It could be good but it could be worst too. A lot of things have to right for it to be good. I'm expecting middle of the pack at best.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

163031263020530 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.

It could be good but it could be worst too.  A lot of things have to right for it to be good.  I'm expecting middle of the pack at best.

If I were to guess I'd say deeper than last year but not as strong back end. Which is probably a better overall option for a team that won't be scoring too many runs.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

54666A6A7E4C6F666B6E6166070 wrote: I read an article about Kyle Crick tipping his pitches last season, and it got me to think that possibly the bullpen will be stronger this season. Kela will close, followed by Crick, Rodriguez, possibly healthy Kuhl, Burdi, and Santana. Holland, or Brault whomever does not join the rotation. It really depends on the health of Kuhl, Burdi and Santana, but if they return to the times they were healthy then the bullpen will be much better than last season.

It could be good but it could be worst too.  A lot of things have to right for it to be good.  I'm expecting middle of the pack at best.

If I were to guess I'd say deeper than last year but not as strong back end.  Which is probably a better overall option for a team that won't be scoring too many runs.

I totally agree with you. They won’t have the lights out closer, but I believe they have the pitchers who can get them to the ninth inning for Kela to hopefully close out the game.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Any relief pitcher who pitches well will be salary dumped at the trade deadline.