McHenry

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

McHenry

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Pirates have one broadcast problem: Joe Block. I’ve tried to give him time and the benefit of the doubt but he just doesn’t work. Even more than his insane chatter, he simply seems to have no chemistry with any of the crew.

I think the rest of the team is excellent.

Fort: two thumbs up!
DemDog

McHenry

Post by DemDog »

I grew up with The Gunner. There is nobody better at doing PBP than Bob Prince. When listening on the radio Prince let you know what was going on. He gave the count, gave the score more than just at the end of a half-inning. Prince had a way with nicknames and catchphrases. Such phrases were necessary on the radio PBP.

Times have changed. PBP guys don't have to do much on tv. It is nice that they bring up something interesting about the hitter or the pitcher but ramble on like Block does with his meaningless bs is really bad.

The color guys are what I like most. As former players they can help the viewer understand the plays and the reasons for those plays. I like Walkie and have found Wehner and now McKenry to be really good about what is happening on a play that the average viewer might not be aware of. For instance in yesterday's game when Maille threw to 2nd to try and get a runner who was trying to steal but pulled up and got into a rundown instead, Maille who started the play hustled down to 1B to backup the 1Bman and be ready to take a throw in a rundown. McKenry made a big deal of that hustle by Maille. How many of us as viewers or fans at a game realize what Maille was doing.

I will be interested to see how Capps and KY do when it is their turn to do the color.

While I am ranting, I just hate times when they have some celebrity in the booth for an interview and that interview take precedence over calling the game. One exception is when they have NBC hockey announcing great Mike "Doc" Emerick in the both. He is a die-hard Pirates fan and every chance he gets when the Pens are in the playoffs and he doing a game in Pittsburgh he comes to the games. I could care less if they have some other celeb in the booth, who needs that kind of crap. I would love to hear John Miller do an inning sometime like they do with Emerick. Miller is one of the best ever, right Bobster.
PMike

McHenry

Post by PMike »

I don't mind Block. He does get going on stupid stuff occasionally, but it can be hard to make the Pirates interesting. I appreciate his sarcastic shots every so often.

Regarding McHenry...I despise him on the post game show. It was unwatchable last year because of him. He is a non stop montage of colloquialism and cliches. That said, I am enjoying him right now during the game. He adds good contents and analysis like a player.
Bobster21

McHenry

Post by Bobster21 »

I finally got to hear McHenry do color when I saw the replay of the Bucs/Red Sox game on the MLB network. He's good. He's got a lot to say about what's going on. He seems like a high energy person. Seemed that way when he was playing. I can see how on the post game wrap-up show that might be a little much and get annoying. But when doing color he brings energy to the broadcast in an incitement way.
johnfluharty

McHenry

Post by johnfluharty »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: I finally got to hear McHenry do color when I saw the replay of the Bucs/Red Sox game on the MLB network. He's good. He's got a lot to say about what's going on. He seems like a high energy person. Seemed that way when he was playing. I can see how on the post game wrap-up show that might be a little much and get annoying. But when doing color he brings energy to the broadcast in an incitement way.   

On TV he is talking to a camera, which does not respond in any way to what he is saying, so it could feel less natural and less relaxing. In the booth, though, he is basically talking to the guy next to him with all of us listening in to the conversation, which may feel a lot more relaxing and comfortable.
Lecom

McHenry

Post by Lecom »

05242C052E26410 wrote: I grew up with The Gunner.  There is nobody better at doing PBP than Bob Prince.  When listening on the radio Prince let you know what was going on.  He gave the count, gave the score more than just at the end of a half-inning.  Prince had a way with nicknames and catchphrases.  Such phrases were necessary on the radio PBP.   

Times have changed.  PBP guys don't have to do much on tv.  It is nice that they bring up something interesting about the hitter or the pitcher but ramble on like Block does with his meaningless bs is really bad. 

The color guys are what I like most.  As former players they can help the viewer understand the plays and the reasons for those plays.  I like Walkie and have found Wehner and now McKenry to be really good about what is happening on a play that the average viewer might not be aware of.  For instance in yesterday's game when Maille threw to 2nd to try and get a runner who was trying to steal but pulled up and got into a rundown instead, Maille who started the play hustled down to 1B to backup the 1Bman and be ready to take a throw in a rundown.  McKenry made a big deal of that hustle by Maille.  How many of us as viewers or fans at a game realize what Maille was doing. 

I will be interested to see how Capps and KY do when it is their turn to do the color.

While I am ranting, I just hate times when they have some celebrity in the booth for an interview and that interview take precedence over calling the game.  One exception is when they have  NBC hockey announcing great Mike "Doc" Emerick in the both.  He is a die-hard Pirates fan and every chance he gets when the Pens are in the playoffs and he doing a game in Pittsburgh he comes to the games.  I could care less if they have some other celeb in the booth, who needs that kind of crap.  I would love to hear John Miller do an inning sometime like they do with Emerick.  Miller is one of the best ever, right Bobster.

The best play by play in any sport in my opinion is Dpc Emerick. He could make a funeral sound exciting. I had a chance to meet him last year at Lecom. We were both at Geneva College at the same time he was teaching and I was a student at the time. What a genuinely nice guy he is.

Bobster21

McHenry

Post by Bobster21 »

547D7B7775180 wrote: I grew up with The Gunner.  There is nobody better at doing PBP than Bob Prince.  When listening on the radio Prince let you know what was going on.  He gave the count, gave the score more than just at the end of a half-inning.  Prince had a way with nicknames and catchphrases.  Such phrases were necessary on the radio PBP.   

Times have changed.  PBP guys don't have to do much on tv.  It is nice that they bring up something interesting about the hitter or the pitcher but ramble on like Block does with his meaningless bs is really bad. 

The color guys are what I like most.  As former players they can help the viewer understand the plays and the reasons for those plays.  I like Walkie and have found Wehner and now McKenry to be really good about what is happening on a play that the average viewer might not be aware of.  For instance in yesterday's game when Maille threw to 2nd to try and get a runner who was trying to steal but pulled up and got into a rundown instead, Maille who started the play hustled down to 1B to backup the 1Bman and be ready to take a throw in a rundown.  McKenry made a big deal of that hustle by Maille.  How many of us as viewers or fans at a game realize what Maille was doing. 

While I am ranting, I just hate times when they have some celebrity in the booth for an interview and that interview take precedence over calling the game.  One exception is when they have  NBC hockey announcing great Mike "Doc" Emerick in the both.  He is a die-hard Pirates fan and every chance he gets when the Pens are in the playoffs and he doing a game in Pittsburgh he comes to the games.  I could care less if they have some other celeb in the booth, who needs that kind of crap.  I would love to hear John Miller do an inning sometime like they do with Emerick.  Miller is one of the best ever, right Bobster.

The best play by play in any sport in my opinion is Dpc Emerick. He could make a funeral sound exciting. I had a chance to meet him last year at Lecom. We were both at Geneva College at the same time he was teaching and I was a student at the time. What a genuinely nice guy he is.
In one of my years at the fantasy camp in Bradenton, Doc attended and was on my team. Very nice guy. But he had to leave before the week was over to call the NHL all-star game.
SammyKhalifa

McHenry

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: I grew up with The Gunner.  There is nobody better at doing PBP than Bob Prince.  When listening on the radio Prince let you know what was going on.  He gave the count, gave the score more than just at the end of a half-inning.  Prince had a way with nicknames and catchphrases.  Such phrases were necessary on the radio PBP.   

In one of my years at the fantasy camp in Bradenton, Doc attended and was on my team. Very nice guy. But he had to leave before the week was over to call the NHL all-star game.

I like how he brings up the pirates in almost every broadcast whether the penguins are playing or not.
GnatsEyelash

McHenry

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I tried and failed to find Jon Miller's most creative call.  Orioles were playing, I think, the Royals and Bo Jackson was playing LF.  Well, there was fly ball to left, and Jackson settled under it and dropped it.

Miller's call started off normally for a fly to left, and then he got creative.  "Bo Jackson settles under it and (Miller breaks into his Keith Jackson) FUMMMM BULLLL." and does the rest of the call in his spot on Keith Jackson, ending with a "Whoa Nellie!!!"

At some level, you know he had to prepare for that exact play, but to be able to access it instantly during the action is so uncommon.  To hear it live was so special. 
Bobster21

McHenry

Post by Bobster21 »

042D223730063A262F22302B430 wrote: I tried and failed to find Jon Miller's most creative call.  Orioles were playing, I think, the Royals and Bo Jackson was playing LF.  Well, there was fly ball to left, and Jackson settled under it and dropped it.

Miller's call started off normally for a fly to left, and then he got creative.  "Bo Jackson settles under it and (Miller breaks into his Keith Jackson) FUMMMM BULLLL." and does the rest of the call in his spot on Keith Jackson, ending with a "Whoa Nellie!!!"

At some level, you know he had to prepare for that exact play, but to be able to access it instantly during the action is so uncommon.  To hear it live was so special. 
Great story! I can just imagine Miller doing that. I couldn't find it either but here he is doing Vin Scully and also doing Japanese and Venezuelan announcers doing Scully.