Brewers/Yellich to sign 9 year $215 million extension

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

257365717E64747F726557707A767E7B3974170 wrote: I don't ever see Bob Nutting willing to pay one of his laborers that kind of money.   It violates a prime tenet he learned in business school.
Nutting went to school?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0E190F382E2E224D0 wrote:

Until the Pirates do what Milwaukee just did, no one can ever say you're wrong.  They'll have that chance soon with Josh Bell.  I think we all know how it's going to go.

Bell is not comparable to Yelich at all.  Yelich is coming off back-to-back 7+ WAR seasons.  Don't like WAR?  His OPS was 1.000 and 1.100 the last two years.  That said, last year's Bell (2.9 WAR, .936 OPS) was really good, and I'd happily run him out as the middle-of-the-order thumper he was for the next several years.  The way he hit in the first half last year was something to see. 

But I would not want to give Bell a 9 year contract - just as I don't think it was a great idea for the Brewers to give that term to Yelich.  And Bell isn't likely to age as well as Yelich.  But if they could resign Bell for 5 years at $12-15M/year, I'd go for that after this season - assuming he proves this year that he can put up 2.5+ WAR consistently.

Would Nutting try to sign him?  Doubt it.

Fair point, but I was using Bell as the Pirates current closest player to Yelich in terms of potential. I agree completely that he's not near Yelich in overall ability. Few are. He could never get the kind of contract, from any team, like Yelich got, unless he hit 50+ HRs each of the next two years.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

113437372209343C3E295B0 wrote: I don't ever see Bob Nutting willing to pay one of his laborers that kind of money.   It violates a prime tenet he learned in business school.
Nutting went to school?

He appeals to me as very nerdish, one who loved going to elite schools. I think he especially liked business classes and wouldn't be surprised if he excelled in them. I bet he really liked his courses dealing with contracts and labor markets. I just wish he applied his knowledge in some other industry.