Pirates get #32 overall competitive balance pick.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: There's no need to cancel the draft. It doesn't have to involve a gathering. The NFL is conducting off season business involving phone calls and paperwork. I don't think it benefits the country to halt all business activity as some sort of somber gesture. Let common sense prevail and do the things that can be done. 

I don't think the idea of calling it off is because of a gathering but because of not having much of a high school or college season. A draft would need to be based on information gathered before March 15 and my impression is that evaluations can change a lot for players by the time draft day rolls around. On the other hand, so what? Some players don't get drafted, some get drafted a few rounds higher or lower than they would have been with a complete season.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Canceling the draft will not change the fact that they might not play this year so I don't see how would help anything.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot. Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year. Some teams win and some teams lose. But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs. Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season. Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

517078517A72150 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

I like your idea of a September draft, Possum. But I think a fair amount of development and acclimation could take place by each club by then bringing its new players to their facilities in Florida and Arizona and conducting a Spring Training program for a couple of weeks, followed by a schedule of games over six weeks. Each facility has five or six fields on which to play games so the management of each team would get a solid look at everyone. I think they could actually accomplish a lot under the circumstances.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3D6B7D69667C6C676A7D4F68626E6663216C0F0 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

I like your idea of a September draft, Possum.  But I think a fair amount of development and acclimation could take place by each club by then bringing its new players to their facilities in Florida and Arizona and conducting a Spring Training program for a couple of weeks, followed by a schedule of games over six weeks.  Each facility has five or six fields on which to play games so the management of each team would get a solid look at everyone.  I think they could actually accomplish a lot under the circumstances. 

Good thinking Doc. I like your idea for a short ST type thing so they can get a look at the development of the players this season rather than waiting until next spring.

I wonder if Pennies would pay us MLB minimum between us to be Ass't VPs of Development? Oops! That is just another great OBN falicy! ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

48696148636B0C0 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

I like your idea of a September draft, Possum.  But I think a fair amount of development and acclimation could take place by each club by then bringing its new players to their facilities in Florida and Arizona and conducting a Spring Training program for a couple of weeks, followed by a schedule of games over six weeks.  Each facility has five or six fields on which to play games so the management of each team would get a solid look at everyone.  I think they could actually accomplish a lot under the circumstances. 

Good thinking Doc.  I like your idea for a short ST type thing so they can get a look at the development of the players this season rather than waiting until next spring.

I wonder if Pennies would pay us MLB minimum between us to be Ass't VPs of Development?  Oops!  That is just another great OBN falicy!   ;D

Possum, Possum, Possum.  Bob Nutting spend money he doesn't have to spend?  Are you living in some alternative universe I'm not aware of?  Can you take me there?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0355435758425259544371565C50585D1F52310 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

Good thinking Doc.  I like your idea for a short ST type thing so they can get a look at the development of the players this season rather than waiting until next spring.

I wonder if Pennies would pay us MLB minimum between us to be Ass't VPs of Development?  Oops!  That is just another great OBN falicy!   ;D

Possum, Possum, Possum.  Bob Nutting spend money he doesn't have to spend?  Are you living in some alternative universe I'm not aware of?  Can you take me there?

Doc, in my other life many years ago and old-time salesman said when you get a chance ask for the sale. Sometimes you make the sale, sometimes not. So we ask Pennies for the job and all he can say is "No!! you over the hill fogies." And with that we can just flip him the bird or give him a "moon shot"! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

78595178535B3C0 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

Doc, in my other life many years ago and old-time salesman said when you get a chance ask for the sale.  Sometimes you make the sale, sometimes not.  So we ask Pennies for the job and all he can say is "No!! you over the hill fogies."  And with that we can just flip him the bird or  give him a "moon shot"!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Okay, that sounds like fun. I really would like to catch him alone sometime and tell him what I think of his ownership of the franchise. Not that it would make a difference, but it would feel good.
shedman

Post by shedman »

1244524649534348455260474D41494C0E43200 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

Doc, in my other life many years ago and old-time salesman said when you get a chance ask for the sale.  Sometimes you make the sale, sometimes not.  So we ask Pennies for the job and all he can say is "No!! you over the hill fogies."  And with that we can just flip him the bird or  give him a "moon shot"!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Okay, that sounds like fun.  I really would like to catch him alone sometime and tell him what I think of his ownership of the franchise.  Not that it would make a difference, but it would feel good.

_____

My question to BOB would be "How much has your net worth increased since you have owned the team?"
2drfischer@gmail.c

233835343D313E500 wrote: The MLB draft like so much of player acquisition has become analytics-driven it makes this year's edition so much more of a crapshoot.  Okay, teams take their chance with the kids this year.  Some teams win and some teams lose.  But that could make it difficult for teams like the Bucs who don't have the resources or the desire to go out and overcome drafting mistakes by signing FAs.  Perhaps the thing to do is just move it back to say September after the college and high school players get a chance to play some games to give MLB teams a chance for one more look at them and their progress from last season.  Of course, doing that means they do not get any chance of development and acclimation to pro ball this year. 

Okay, that sounds like fun.  I really would like to catch him alone sometime and tell him what I think of his ownership of the franchise.  Not that it would make a difference, but it would feel good.

_____

My question to BOB would be "How much has your net worth increased since you have owned the team?"

I don't think that number has been invented yet.