1960 WS game fact

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

1960 WS game fact

Post by Bobster21 »

7D5C547D565E390 wrote: Another fact from this game.  Can you tell me who made the last put-out of the game?  The answer is unbelievable but it was Maz on a 6-4 force out from Groat. 
And in game 7, Blanchard visited the mound on the 1st or 2nd pitch in 3 of Maz's 4 ABs. Maz was having an outstanding series with the key 2-run HR in game 1 and the key 2 run double in game 5. It looked like throughout game 7, Blanchard didn't want Maz to beat them. Oops. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

1960 WS game fact

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

745D5B5755380 wrote: You might also like this day by day account of the 1960 season from spring training thru the WS. (I wrote it.)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=marchinetti& ... nb_sb_noss

Just ordered your book ,  it was a season to remember for sure .

I just finished reading my copy last week. Bobster did a great job of providing details of each game and information on each player. I was eight years old in 1960 so I have little recall of the season as it played out, except for the ending of Game Seven. I had just gotten home from school and plopped down in front of the TV as Maz came to the plate. Nothing, sports-wise, has topped that moment for me.
fjk090852-7

1960 WS game fact

Post by fjk090852-7 »

085E485C534959525F487A5D575B535614593A0 wrote: You might also like this day by day account of the 1960 season from spring training thru the WS. (I wrote it.)

I just finished reading my copy last week.  Bobster did a great job of providing details of each game and information on each player.  I was eight years old in 1960 so I have little recall of the season as it played out, except for the ending of Game Seven.  I had just gotten home from school and plopped down in front of the TV as Maz came to the plate.  Nothing, sports-wise, has topped that moment for me.
I was also 8 in 1960, so I don’t remember much of the season, but I recall the Smith homer, and the walkoff by Maz. I watched the game on ATT last night, and I did not know Stengel had Ford warming up in the seventh, and he did not pinch hit for Bobby Schantz. The Yankees were up 5-4 at that time. Also Schantz batted in the eighth when the Yankees scored two more runs. If Stengel had brought in Ford the outcome of the game may have been different. In his two WS starts he shutout the Bucs for 18 innings.
2drfischer@gmail.c

1960 WS game fact

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

565A5B0009000805021D07300 wrote: You might also like this day by day account of the 1960 season from spring training thru the WS. (I wrote it.)

I just finished reading my copy last week.  Bobster did a great job of providing details of each game and information on each player.  I was eight years old in 1960 so I have little recall of the season as it played out, except for the ending of Game Seven.  I had just gotten home from school and plopped down in front of the TV as Maz came to the plate.  Nothing, sports-wise, has topped that moment for me.
I was also 8 in 1960, so I don’t remember much of the season, but I recall the Smith homer, and the walkoff by Maz. I watched the game on ATT last night, and I did not know Stengel had Ford warming up in the seventh, and he did not pinch hit for Bobby Schantz. The Yankees were up 5-4 at that time. Also Schantz batted in the eighth when the Yankees scored two more runs. If Stengel had brought in Ford the outcome of the game may have been different. In his two WS starts he shutout the Bucs for 18 innings.

Yeah, I'd read about Stengel's mistakes previously, especially not starting Ford in Game 1 so that he could potentially pitch three times. One of his funniest quotes came later on when the Yankees fired him because they felt he was too old to manage any longer. He said, "I'll never make the mistake of being 70 again."
Bobster21

1960 WS game fact

Post by Bobster21 »

232F2E757C757D70776872450 wrote: You might also like this day by day account of the 1960 season from spring training thru the WS. (I wrote it.)

Ford had just pitched a 9 inning shutout the day before but wanted to pitch in relief in game 7 if needed. I've read that Stengel wouldn't tell him to warmup in the BP (apparently because he had pitched the day before) but Ford took it upon himself to go to the BP and warm up.

I wonder if Stengel would have used him in extra innings. He still had Grba, Duren, Arroyo, Maas and Ditmar available. Extra innings would have been interesting. Stengel only had one position player left on his bench. But it was slugger Bob Cerv. If Maz hadn't won it in the 9th, Stuart was on deck to bat for Haddix. So Murtaugh's bench in extras would have been Baker, Oldis and Schofield. Mizell was ready to pitch the 10th with Gibbon, Labine, Cheney, Green and Witt still in the BP. But Labine had pitched 3 innings the day before. Mizell had pitched 2 scoreless innings the day before. Cheney, Green and Witt had also pitched the day before. So Gibbon would be the most rested. Cheney had a 2 inning scoreless appearance in game 3. Gibbon had a scoreless inning in game 3. Other than Witt, those were the only scoreless appearances by a reliever (excluding Mizell) not named Face. Witt had made 3 scoreless appearances but had allowed all 4 inherited runners he faced to score. I don't think Murtaugh had much confidence in his BP. Witt had been warming with Mizell.