Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In my opinion this idea will never fly with the players. I would love to see and hear baseball again, but it is not happening with these conditions. As someone already posted we may not see baseball at all this year. If there is no season I would hope the players and owners would get together this winter and hammer out a new Labor Agreement to avoid any work stoppage after the 2021 season. Baseball does not need any additional stoppage if the 2020 season is not played.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F5276747A1F0 wrote: According to the metrics I've seen from reliable sources, it is statistically impossible to bring back the number of players and personnel that constitute MLB to AZ and not bring the virus into that circle.  So, if they are cool we creating a sub-grouping of people that are more or less insular to themselves and then they assume that he virus will be shared with all of them, I guess let's go for it.

I guess they are going on the assumption that they are all healthy people and that those who may contract the disease will fight it off like a cold/flu/etc.  Which is probably true.  But there's a lot of older people in baseball.  On a morbid note, maybe this is how we get rid of Joe West.

The idea of families seems even sillier.  Ok, so they sit in the stands at appropriate distances.  Are they using the bathroom?  Railings?  Touching any other communal spaces?  Maybe wives/partners can maintain safe hygiene in public, but you know who can't...children.  Children will be rolling all over the place and touching everything.  Not to mention "bathroom breaks of boredom."  Can you tell I have little children?

I agree, I also think this would be very boring on television. Are they going to re-create atmosphere by adding crowd noises, organist etc.? Maybe Rosie Roswell could make it work.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Since the stands would be empty the sole purpose of this would be to televise the games. So in addition to players and families, they would have to have the entire broadcast production crews in AZ too.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

7D5B5A4D5B4B380 wrote: According to the metrics I've seen from reliable sources, it is statistically impossible to bring back the number of players and personnel that constitute MLB to AZ and not bring the virus into that circle.  So, if they are cool we creating a sub-grouping of people that are more or less insular to themselves and then they assume that he virus will be shared with all of them, I guess let's go for it.

I guess they are going on the assumption that they are all healthy people and that those who may contract the disease will fight it off like a cold/flu/etc.  Which is probably true.  But there's a lot of older people in baseball.  On a morbid note, maybe this is how we get rid of Joe West.

The idea of families seems even sillier.  Ok, so they sit in the stands at appropriate distances.  Are they using the bathroom?  Railings?  Touching any other communal spaces?  Maybe wives/partners can maintain safe hygiene in public, but you know who can't...children.  Children will be rolling all over the place and touching everything.  Not to mention "bathroom breaks of boredom."  Can you tell I have little children?

I agree, I also think this would be very boring on television.  Are they going to re-create atmosphere by adding crowd noises, organist etc.?  Maybe Rosie Roswell could make it work. 
Rosie Roswell- "0pen the window Aunt Minnie, here she comes" Goodness we are old. Wonder how many remember that?
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

79626F6E676B640A0 wrote: Sounds like it's just a plan to get TV revenue for the teams. Great for the Diamondbacks who would never have to travel even for the "road" games. Every other team would have to live in AZ without ever having the comforts of a homestand. Doesn't sound like a good idea but at least it would give me games to watch.
_____

And the fantasy baseball season could start.

Agreed Shedman-TV revenue- must be Bob's idea!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

One positive aspect of playing the games in Arizona is that the schedule can now be manipulated in order to make it equitable, with an emphasis on playing Division games. I'd rather as many games as possible be played in the teams' home ballparks but, the further we go, that could be wishful thinking.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As I am loathe to anything that resembles conspiracy theory and I stay away from that stuff at all costs, I can't help but "do as I say, not as I do" and kind of throw one out there.

Every sport is throwing out any half brained idea, so it can get chewed on, swallowed, spit out, ignored, embraced, laughed at...pick your poison. It's all the same thing, for every single sport. They're trying to create the illusion of returning back to normal, and in full swing, even if it means hockey in August, baseball in December.

And why is that? As I opined in a post to an article on yahoo, it isn't just sports. It's all forms of entertainment. Theater, concert, amusement parks, etc. People have hundreds of millions of dollars laid out in tickets and reservations. Money that promoters and owners have in their till right now, that they've probably already utilized in some form or fashion.

Refunds will have to be made. I pointed out in my post, between half season ticket plan with parking, a Rolling Stones concert, Maroon 5, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett, 4 days of campground rental plus tickets to Saturday and Sunday races at the Poconos, I have over 8 thousand dollars of money tied up in this stuff.

And I'm not thinking it's all that much compared to others. But if you think of someone like me, and my potential refund, think of the MILLIONS of people in the same category.

These people are throwing out smoke screens because the massive refunds that are going to be due, and you know damn well they'll do everything they can to delay or default on those refunds. There are going to be promoters and ownership groups that WON'T BE ABLE TO PAY.

They're delaying because there's no doubt in my mind, that the landscape may change dramatically if hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds are necessitated. We'll see how good to each other the good old boys are. Will the richer teams bail out the poorer teams?

This could get real interesting. But I don't really care if franchises fold all over. I just want my money back if games and concerts aren't played.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

The players will kill this idea and I would be shocked if MLB gets this one done.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

082E293C35392E38305B0 wrote: As I am loathe to anything that resembles conspiracy theory and I stay away from that stuff at all costs, I can't help but "do as I say, not as I do" and kind of throw one out there.

Every sport is throwing out any half brained idea, so it can get chewed on, swallowed, spit out, ignored, embraced, laughed at...pick your poison. It's all the same thing, for every single sport. They're trying to create the illusion of returning back to normal, and in full swing, even if it means hockey in August, baseball in December.

And why is that? As I opined in a post to an article on yahoo, it isn't just sports. It's all forms of entertainment. Theater, concert, amusement parks, etc. People have hundreds of millions of dollars laid out in tickets and reservations. Money that promoters and owners have in their till right now, that they've probably already utilized in some form or fashion.

Refunds will have to be made. I pointed out in my post, between half season ticket plan with parking, a Rolling Stones concert, Maroon 5, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett, 4 days of campground rental plus tickets to Saturday and Sunday races at the Poconos, I have over 8 thousand dollars of money tied up in this stuff.

And I'm not thinking it's all that much compared to others. But if you think of someone like me, and my potential refund, think of the MILLIONS of people in the same category.

These people are throwing out smoke screens because the massive refunds that are going to be due, and you know damn well they'll do everything they can to delay or default on those refunds. There are going to be promoters and ownership groups that WON'T BE ABLE TO PAY.

They're delaying because there's no doubt in my mind, that the landscape may change dramatically if hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds are necessitated. We'll see how good to each other the good old boys are. Will the richer teams bail out the poorer teams?

This could get real interesting. But I don't really care if franchises fold all over. I just want my money back if games and concerts aren't played.

On a smaller scale, I have already been refunded close to 400 bucks for the games that were not played at Lecom.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

5E787F6A636F786E660D0 wrote: As I am loathe to anything that resembles conspiracy theory and I stay away from that stuff at all costs, I can't help but "do as I say, not as I do" and kind of throw one out there.

If I were a betting man I would be willing to bet that if games are played in Arizona you will get refunded.

You should be happy that they could get TV revenue from this. It would help the process.

I for one am pulling for this to happen. I do think, however, that they have to find a way to allow immediate family to be there. That would insure player buy-in.