Pennies should be worried . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

173E3834365B0 wrote: Yep, you have to give him his due. He is a very good businessman. I doubt that he dumps his cash cow even though he could get many more times his initial investment. Shame really!

I'm not convinced that he is a good businessman. He just happened to inherit the wealth created by his father and grandfather.

In the 21st century, the guy is still in the business in printing pennysavers and shoppers fer crying out loud.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1932201A322F3E34381B383538570 wrote: While reading the daily news I found this article from The Guardian which is a British News Organization.  It does not paint a good picture for newspaper journalism.

Coronavirus Impact on US newspapers

Who knows, we may see Pennies being forced to sell the Pirates as well as his 2 ski resorts to stay rich.

One thing that gets me out of bed is the hope that today is the day Nutting sells the Pirates.  If only I have enough mornings left.
If they do this Arizona thing, Bob better hope for favorable TV revenue sharing. I don't think he and other small markets would agree to it without. Some wouldn't make it otherwise.

I think Nutting realizes he has very little leverage. He greatly depends upon most of the other franchises, particularly the biggest markets, for most of what he earns. Personally, I think he's quite satisfied with how the system operates at this time, with his Pirates basically serving as a schedule filler. He takes very little risk but is very well rewarded, with the biggest payday still yet to come when he sells.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He could be a billionaire by selling the Pirates.  Do people really still think he's holding on to the team just to get that "paltry" sum of the TV revenues?
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

One thing that gets me out of bed is the hope that today is the day Nutting sells the Pirates.  If only I have enough mornings left.

OR enough money !!!!! Guess that leaves us both out.

BenM

Post by BenM »

794B47475361424B46434C4B2A0 wrote: He could be a billionaire by selling the Pirates.  Do people really still think he's holding on to the team just to get that "paltry" sum of the TV revenues?

The Pirates are a valuable asset, but how much of them does Bob actually own? Any sale would be split between the minority owners, Bob and probably his father.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

GreenWeenie pix! Good Lookin' my arse! :D :D :D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7B5C5774390 wrote: He could be a billionaire by selling the Pirates.  Do people really still think he's holding on to the team just to get that "paltry" sum of the TV revenues?

The Pirates are a valuable asset, but how much of them does Bob actually own? Any sale would be split between the minority owners, Bob and probably his father.

Well that's true, and I certainly don't mean to imply that he'd get paid in the form a giant novelty lottery winner check.  But I also think people tend to oversimplify the whole "cash cow" side, as if it were just about him trying to maximize cash there are better and faster ways to do it than the way the team is doing it right now.  I think Bobster might be close when he said that he likes having a team and would like to see it do well but not if it means too much dipping into it on his personal end. 

I mean certainly if he sold he would personally get more than the 50mm (or whatever) he gets per year times however many years he's still on this Earth.  I would guess it would take several generations worth of that yearly income to equalize.  So it's NOT just about the money. If it were money and only money he'd be better off selling.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I just saw this link to Forbes List of Values for MLB teams.

MLB Team Values

Of note is the Pirates and the Marlins were the only teams that declined in value. The Pirates by just 1%. Yep, Pennies does have a cash cow in the Pirates.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7A4844445062414845404F48290 wrote: He could be a billionaire by selling the Pirates.  Do people really still think he's holding on to the team just to get that "paltry" sum of the TV revenues?

I think he's holding onto the team for two main reasons. First, he knows better than anyone that the family newspaper business won't be viable much longer. Second, but more importantly, he knows that the value of the Pirates franchise continues to grow, and will be worth much more than it is today. He's said he intends to pass the Pirates onto his daughters. This makes me feel very bad for the generations of Pirates fans who will follow us, never in their lifetime to experience a championship.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4B6264686A070 wrote:

OR enough money !!!!! Guess that leaves us both out.

I blame my parents, Lecom. I wasn't born rich.