Pirates Braves Game 7 NLCS...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

70435F5E5D55635E4559424554585F310 wrote: Two related things used to nag at me about the game.  First, they got complete games in Games 5 and 6, so everyone was available except Walk and Wakefield.  Second, Belinda had only pitched to Cabrera once before, and Cabrera had homered.  People can yelp about sample sizes all they want, but I feel in my gut that Earl Weaver with his little index cards wouldn't have let Carbrera near Belinda with a game on the line.

Two things that time will never fsee:

This game

And

The Bay Trade
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: Two related things used to nag at me about the game.  First, they got complete games in Games 5 and 6, so everyone was available except Walk and Wakefield.  Second, Belinda had only pitched to Cabrera once before, and Cabrera had homered.  People can yelp about sample sizes all they want, but I feel in my gut that Earl Weaver with his little index cards wouldn't have let Carbrera near Belinda with a game on the line.

Two things that time will never fsee:

This game

And

The Bay Trade

I have always felt the Bay trade was influenced in part by a desire by the Pirates' young GM in his first full season to "play with the big boys." LA and Boston wanted to make a Manny Ramirez deal. NH had a great trade chip in Bay and needed to add talent to the organization he inherited from the incompetent Littlefield. So into the middle of that major deal goes NH using his major trade chip to get the big boys to play with him. LA gets Ramirez, Boston gets Bay and NH gets the leftovers. Bryan Morris was an A-league pitcher trying to come back after TJ surgery. Craig Hansen was a sore armed reliever plagued by wildness and an inability to get hitters out with Boston. Andy LaRoche had gone from LA's top 3B prospect to AAA player while they traded for veteran Casey Blake to handle 3B. Brandon Moss had potential and was on the Red Sox bench and NH immediately made him a starter. Moss wasn't ready for that and failed. His PT dwindled until he spent most of 2010 in AAA and was then released. It wasn't until he had spent most of 2010-2012 in AAA that Moss really turned into a productive MLB hitter. But NH rushed him to sell the Bay deal to the fan base by saying he added a MLB ready player to the lineup. NH wasted his best trade chip to get quantity over quality. He received 3 very questionable players and one (Moss) who should have been an asset but was rushed instead of getting him the AAA experience he needed. I don't think NH would have accepted such a questionable return for Bay if it hadn't given him the chance to participate in the LA-Boston Ramirez trade.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It was influenced by an OJT GM who got schooled by guys who knew how to do their jobs.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

665344444F7644444F4844210 wrote: The game was over when Lind blew it.  We knew it then.  We've forgotten it since.

I haven't forgotten. Goddamn shame, too. Such a great fielder for years and he effed up everything with that one play.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sadly, for every Bill Mazeroski, there are a thousand Jose Linds; maybe even 10,000. That's not truly only in baseball. It's just a fact of life.

Every one of us would trade places with Jose Lind just to say that we were big liggers (and made the big bucks)- even if it means going to the great beyond as a goat in our obituaries.

Stuff happens. Just wish it happened to the other guys. :(