An Idea For Realignment

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

An Idea For Realignment

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5E61787D757A5E756D140 wrote: N :Doting that divisions would consist if AL and NL teams, how would DH be accounted for? When playng at an "AL" park use the DH and when playing at "NL" park no DH. I could actually like that, especially the long arguements [sorry, I meant actual sports talk] BTW, who is this Nutting guy I keep reading about. Gray boring day in Maine.
I like Possum’s idea regarding scheduling, but I hate to admit it but the DH is coming to both leagues. If there is baseball this year we are probably going to see it, and I bet it will be a part of the next Labor Agreement which will be negotiated after the 2021 season. I enjoy the NL style of baseball, but I guess we cannot ban the DH forever.
Ecbucs

An Idea For Realignment

Post by Ecbucs »

7975742F262F272A2D32281F0 wrote: N :Doting that divisions would consist if AL and NL teams, how would DH be accounted for? When playng at an "AL" park use the DH and when playing at "NL" park no DH. I could actually like that, especially the long arguements [sorry, I meant actual sports talk] BTW, who is this Nutting guy I keep reading about. Gray boring day in Maine.
I like Possum’s idea regarding scheduling, but I hate to admit it but the DH is coming to both leagues. If there is baseball this year we are probably going to see it, and I bet it will be a part of the next Labor Agreement which will be negotiated after the 2021 season. I enjoy the NL style of baseball, but I guess we cannot ban the DH forever.

yep, the dh is inevitable. Only fans of NL teams regularly see games with out the dh. All the players have grown up with it.
IABucFan

An Idea For Realignment

Post by IABucFan »

I hate the DH. Absolutely hate it. It removes a key strategic element from the game, and, NOT having a DH gives a major advantage to a team whose pitcher can actually hit. Think of the Angels starting Ohtani in an NL stadium. That's a HUGE advantage for them because their pitcher can hit. Or Bumgarner. Or Mike Hampton back in the day. Or whomever. You get the point. Why should those teams be deprived of that?

Personally, I'm kind of rooting for no baseball this year. For starters, it gives me a lot more free time from April-September. Second, I don't like the idea of a gimmicky season. I don't like the idea of a season with no fans. I don't like the idea of a universal DH, especially for 15 teams that haven't prepared for that possibility. I don't like the idea of playing all games in Florida and/or Arizona. I don't like the idea of World Series games in December. I just plain don't like the idea of baseball in 2020. All of MLB should punt on this year and come back in 2021 and try again.

Of course, in that scenario, the $100 million question is how long these shutdowns can go on for. If the idea is to wait for a vaccine, a vaccine isn't 100% effective. If the idea is to wait for herd immunity, we're going way too slowly. We actually need MORE people to get infected than are currently. The virus isn't going away. Eventually, we as a society are going to have to learn to live with it, unless the idea is to stay locked in our homes for the rest of our lives, or to drastically change the way society functions...e.g. no more movies, parties, parades, live sports, church, etc. JMTC...but I don't want to live that way. I'm tolerating it right now, but I'm about at my wits end.
2drfischer@gmail.c

An Idea For Realignment

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

06272F062D25420 wrote: Okay guys, assume we go with the original Divisions that fjk proposes.  What about scheduling?  Games can not be played just between teams in your own Division can they?  I would propose that MLB schedule a majority of games within the Division and then other games against one of the other Divisions. 

Say, in year one Central Division 1 plays the Central Division 2 and also some games against one of the other 4 Divisions. 

Year 2 Same thing except you change which of the 4 Divisions a team plays.

This goes on from there much like Inter-League game go now. 

One other thing I would do is when a Division plays one of the 4 other Divisons that each team gets a home and home series.  For instance when the Bucs play the Division in which the Mariners are placed then they play a series in Pittsburgh and Seattle that year.  This would allow my daughter and her kids who live in Seattle and just love the Bucs to see the Bucs at least every 3 years.  And it would be a great excuse for my daughter and family to visit Pa to see Possum and Mrs. Possum and root for the Bucs.

Possum, I tried every which way to make fair, equitable schedules for all 30 teams that are divided into two, 15-team leagues and kept failing.  Perhaps someone better than me in math can make it work.  The problem is the current number of teams. 

MLB needs 32 teams to make it work.  Or even contract two teams to make the total 28.  But then we open a whole new problem:  which two to eliminate.  Two that come to mind are Tampa and Miami.  Both are relatively new franchises without long histories, and only one has a new ballpark.  But I'd hate to be a fan of any team that loses it's club so I'd rather MLB expand rather than contract.  I don't think MLB would contract because it would mean a big black eye if it eliminated teams.  The PR hit would really hurt.
GreenWeenie

An Idea For Realignment

Post by GreenWeenie »

MLB could eliminate four or five clubs, and no one would notice. Sadly, thanks to BOB, ours is one.

That's not only true of baseball. It's probably true of all the major team sports.
shedman

An Idea For Realignment

Post by shedman »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: MLB could eliminate four or five clubs, and no one would notice.  Sadly, thanks to BOB, ours is one.

That's not only true of baseball.  It's probably true of all the major team sports.
______

BOB is the worst owner in all of baseball, if not all of sports.
GreenWeenie

An Idea For Realignment

Post by GreenWeenie »

No doubt, he's the worst in MLB. Can't think of anyone worse.

But, in all sports, he has some competition. NY Knicks fans have their nominee. Neck and neck with that guy. Not great company to be in.
mouse

An Idea For Realignment

Post by mouse »

I would guess that the players union would notice any attempt to eliminate a club.
GreenWeenie

An Idea For Realignment

Post by GreenWeenie »

42405A5C4A2F0 wrote: I would guess that the players union would notice any attempt to eliminate a club.

And, that's all they'll do- "notice it" like everybody else and, essentially shrug.

Every couple of years, they claim to go after lowball clubs, and the Pirates and some other teams are always on their list.

Never a word after that until the next time they get around to saying something.

So, there's noticing. Then, there's noticing.
WildwoodDave

An Idea For Realignment

Post by WildwoodDave »

396F796D627868636E794B6C666A626725680B0 wrote: There has been a proposed plan for 3 ten team divisions if baseball resumes this year. This could be the beginning of some type of realignment in the future. I have taken a shot of setting up six divisions with the current 30 teams. It is a little difficult due to the location of some of the teams.

Two Central Divisions: cardinals, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Royals

Other Central: Indians, Reds, Tigers, Twins, Bucs

Two East Divisions: Yanks, Mets, Red Sox, Phil’s, Jays

Other  Division. Orioles, Nats, Braves , Rays , Marlins

Two West Divisions: Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Oakland , Giants

Other Division: Astros, Rangers, Rockies, DBacks , Mariners

As I said due to the location of the teams it is tough placing some teams such as Mariners, but it is fun to attempt to organize the teams into divisions in which the teams are relatively close to each other.

I broached this subject a couple of weeks back, FJ.  I did so because I think MLB has already decided that they're going to realign the teams, mixing the leagues together in order to create more geographical rivalries.  They've been easing in that direction since the implementation of Interleague play and perhaps the virus situation will help speed it forward.

Your alignment is interesting.  Ideally, a total of 32 teams would be best to work with.  (I think expansion is also in their plans, and maybe even moving a franchise or two.) That would help with creating divisions, with an equal number of teams, that would make the most sense.

There are some cities that lie in places that can create arguments.  Pittsburgh is one of them.  We can be placed with eastern cities or with central cities.  (Toronto is like that, too.)  Where the league expands to will have a lot to do with how some divisions will be set up.  I also wonder if they'll separate the two teams that exist in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles? 

The day of realignment is coming.  I hope with all that'll be involved, MLB gets it mostly right.  They'll first cater to the big markets.  I just hope the smaller ones aren't pooped on completely.

Back in my younger days I wanted as little re-alignment as possible.  Even a year or so ago I wanted the AL and NL teams to at least stay in their leagues.  Now I don't care.  MLB can group the teams in any way that they want.

I'm a little surprised that I have evolved to this position, in some ways it is because I don't even think about the Pirates having rivals anymore so I don't care where they are grouped.

Good points.  I really miss the rivalries with the Phillies and Mets.  Right now, I hate the Brewers the most but it just doesn't feel the same.  The Cubs and Cardinals are superior to us in their abilities and desires to win that playing them seems like being shoved around by a big brother.  I just want things to be equitable.
In that case, thew bucs would have to drop to Triple A